INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Film criticism and recommendation

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Alan H

Re: Film criticism and recommendation

#41 Post by Alan H » March 19th, 2016, 11:48 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#42 Post by Dave B » March 20th, 2016, 8:09 am

Getting lot of "not found" meesages on movie sites. Also free week trials but credit card needed to register . . .

Never really happy with these sort of sites.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#43 Post by Alan H » March 20th, 2016, 10:44 am

Dave B wrote:
Getting lot of "not found" meesages on movie sites. Also free week trials but credit card needed to register . . .

Never really happy with these sort of sites.
Are you clicking on the (slightly obscure) ads at the top?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#44 Post by Dave B » March 20th, 2016, 12:28 pm

Ah, yes, thought that was part of the site navigation.

Blimey, some obscure stuff in there, takes me back to when I used to frequent the Cambridge Arts Cinema in the 60s. If it wasn't a tad way out it wasn't shown! (I was posted near there in the RAF, not at the uni!)
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#45 Post by Maria Mac » November 26th, 2016, 11:23 pm

Today we went to see 'A United Kingdom', based on the very moving true story of Seretse Khama and Ruth Williams. Definitely recommend it. David Oyewalo plays Khama as well as he played Martin Luther King in Selma a few years ago. I wish Tony Benn had lived to see it, given his heroic role in the affair.

Alan H

#46 Post by Alan H » November 27th, 2016, 12:04 am

Athena wrote:Today we went to see 'A United Kingdom', based on the very moving true story of Seretse Khama and Ruth Williams. Definitely recommend it. David Oyewalo plays Khama as well as he played Martin Luther King in Selma a few years ago. I wish Tony Benn had lived to see it, given his heroic role in the affair.
Yes, thoroughly enjoyable.
Alan Henness

Alan H

Jackie

#47 Post by Alan H » February 2nd, 2017, 5:13 pm

We have just been to see the film 'Jackie' about Jackie Kennedy at the time of JFK's death. A thoroughly dull and dreary film.

There was one scene in the White House (much of it was set there) where she was contemplating the legacy her husband had left and Bobby Kennedy pointed out they were in the room Lincoln signed the proclamation to free 4 million slaves.

What the fuck is Trump doing there?
Alan Henness

jaywhat

Re: Jackie

#48 Post by jaywhat » February 2nd, 2017, 7:15 pm

Alan H wrote:We have just been to see the film 'Jackie' about Jackie Kennedy at the time of JFK's death. A thoroughly dull and dreary film.

There was one scene in the White House (much of it was set there) where she was contemplating the legacy her husband had left and Bobby Kennedy pointed out they were in the room Lincoln signed the proclamation to free 4 million slaves.

What the fuck is Trump doing there?

exactly !

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#49 Post by Maria Mac » February 12th, 2017, 5:31 pm

I've seen a few films since my last recommendation - including 'Jackie' about Mrs Kennedy, which was dull as hell and massively disappointing - and none have been worth writing about, though I enjoyed Woody Allen's 'Cafe Society' late last year. Today's film, Lion, based on a true story about a child in India who got lost and ended up being adopted by an Australian couple and who, 25 years later, found his birth mother again by searching Google earth (really!), is one I'd urge everyone to go and see. It's of the same quality as Slumdog Millionaire and stars the same actor, Dev Patel. It's absolutely fantastic, imo, and has been nominated for several Oscars. I hope it wins them all.

Compassionist

#50 Post by Compassionist » October 10th, 2017, 10:33 pm

I watched Blade Runnner 2049 and recommend it highly. It is a sequel to the 1982 film Blade Runner. It is not essential to have watched the 1982 film but it does help.

Alan H

#51 Post by Alan H » October 10th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Compassionist wrote:I watched Blade Runnner 2049 and recommend it highly. It is a sequel to the 1982 film Blade Runner. It is not essential to have watched the 1982 film but it does help.
A lot of people I know have seen it and have raved about it!
Alan Henness

Compassionist

#52 Post by Compassionist » October 11th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Alan H wrote:
Compassionist wrote:I watched Blade Runnner 2049 and recommend it highly. It is a sequel to the 1982 film Blade Runner. It is not essential to have watched the 1982 film but it does help.
A lot of people I know have seen it and have raved about it!
That's great.

animist

#53 Post by animist » October 16th, 2017, 11:44 am

the original Blade Runner is a film which I assumed I must have seen since I've read about it over the years, but I don't think I actually did so till last night. It certainly did have atmosphere, helped by the wonderful Vangelis score, and Rutger Hauer's last moments, when he says that he's had experiences as a replicant that no human has had, were moving and interesting. However, the premiss is so silly (since why make robot slaves to look like humans?) that I don't rate the film that highly, and certainly have no intention of watching the sequel in a cinema for three hours. I actually dislike sitting in cinema seats, since I find them restrictive, while the sound quality is often poor; and a visit means suffering a slew of adverts and trailers for all the other crap films coming up. Hope this counts as film criticism :D

Alan H

#54 Post by Alan H » October 16th, 2017, 12:54 pm

animist wrote:the premiss is so silly (since why make robot slaves to look like humans?)
I don't understand why you say this is silly: they already exist - albeit not very good and at the moment, unconvincing - but I don't think progress on that is likely to stop any time soon.
Alan Henness

animist

#55 Post by animist » October 16th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Alan H wrote:
animist wrote:the premiss is so silly (since why make robot slaves to look like humans?)
I don't understand why you say this is silly: they already exist - albeit not very good and at the moment, unconvincing - but I don't think progress on that is likely to stop any time soon.
they may exist, but the question remains; why do it? At present they are a curiosity because of the novelty, but the film presupposes a society based on slave android labour

lewist

#56 Post by lewist » November 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Yesterday evening I went to see Paddington 2. It was superb. It was funny, gentle and thoroughly entertaining. Highly recommended.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#57 Post by Alan H » November 14th, 2017, 11:47 am

lewist wrote:Yesterday evening I went to see Paddington 2. It was superb. It was funny, gentle and thoroughly entertaining. Highly recommended.
I've seen a lot of people - young and old - say it was wonderful!
Alan Henness