INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Downton Abbey

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Nick

Downton Abbey

#1 Postby Nick » October 4th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Anyone watching this series? I don't usually watch or really enjoy TV drama, but this is a "must", especially for the absolutely brilliant Maggie Smith. :thumbsup:

Val

Re: Downton Abbey

#2 Postby Val » October 4th, 2010, 7:50 pm

it is not on in Scotland for some reason

Dave B

#3 Postby Dave B » October 4th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Nick wrote:Anyone watching this series? I don't usually watch or really enjoy TV drama, but this is a "must", especially for the absolutely brilliant Maggie Smith. :thumbsup:

No Telly, but watched trailer online: looks like "Upstairs Downstairs" with knobs on.

I see what you mean about Maggie, just watched the bit where the two mothers meet!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#4 Postby Nick » October 6th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Very sorry it's not broadcast in Scotland. I'm sure it will be sometime, but in the meantime you can watch it here for the next week or so. I hope you get to see it and more importantly enjoy it. :)

jamesjones950

#5 Postby jamesjones950 » October 6th, 2010, 9:25 pm

You don't find it derivative and predictable, then?
Must be me.
Beautifully filmed, great location (Highclere), superb casting, excellent writing (Julian Fellowes), first-class acting, etc etc etc...
But it's still the old Upstairs Downstairs format, yawn.
Will they ever do "The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropist"?
Haven't we had enough of the old rose-tinted spectacles?
In fact, shame on you, Julian, for writing such clap-trap. I thought better of you, until now.
a "New Atheist" for the last 55 years

Nick

#6 Postby Nick » October 7th, 2010, 4:41 pm

Sorry you didn't enjoy it much, JJ. :sad:

I'm curious that there is so much smoking going on. First of all, I would have thought that would be discouraged on the telly. Secondly, I didn't think females would be smoking that much until the 1920's. Thirdly, I'm surprised smoking was tolerated "below stairs" and wonder about the expense. Was tobacco cheap enough for the servants? I was also under the impression that ciggies really only came into their own after The Great War, when previously pipe-smoking was more prevalent. Hmmm... I'll have to dig about and see....

Val

#7 Postby Val » October 7th, 2010, 11:14 pm

I think I remember being told that troops in the trenches were sent parcels at Christmas which included cigarettes in special packs with her name on. They used to believe that cigs made you brave.

Nick

#8 Postby Nick » October 9th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Anyone interested in the second series...? :)

jaywhat

#9 Postby jaywhat » October 10th, 2011, 8:37 am

jamesjones950 wrote:You don't find it derivative and predictable, then?
Must be me.
Beautifully filmed, great location (Highclere), superb casting, excellent writing (Julian Fellowes), first-class acting, etc etc etc...
But it's still the old Upstairs Downstairs format, yawn.
Will they ever do "The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropist"?
Haven't we had enough of the old rose-tinted spectacles?
In fact, shame on you, Julian, for writing such clap-trap. I thought better of you, until now.

Yes, but you can sit back and relax and have a smile or two ..........

Ninny

#10 Postby Ninny » October 10th, 2011, 8:49 am

The frocks are divine!
The Ragged TPs is the most boring book I've ever read; perhaps because it is so worthy. How to televise it without sending everyone to sleep/sleeping pills? And the frocks....

Tetenterre

#11 Postby Tetenterre » October 10th, 2011, 10:01 am

Nick wrote:Anyone interested in the second series...? :)

Didn't see the 1st series, but Mrs T is a fan. Tried watching 2nd series with her -- after about 15 minutes of watching miserable people being unpleasant to/about each other, I decided it was not for me.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#12 Postby Alan H » October 10th, 2011, 10:30 am

Tetenterre wrote:after about 15 minutes of watching miserable people being unpleasant to/about each other, I decided it was not for me.
Are you sure that wasn't Eastenders? Or the 6 o'clock news?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

jaywhat

#13 Postby jaywhat » October 10th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Just watched the latest episode we had recorded. At one point it made me cry and I am being serious so I do not want any clever dicks laughing at me. :boohoo:

Nick

#14 Postby Nick » October 10th, 2011, 3:29 pm

I'm surprised there is so much smoking in it. Maybe I am wrong in thinking that cigarettes were the product of WWI and that it was unusual for women to smoke, but I am also a little surprised that it has been allowed by modern meeja thought-police.

ludite

#15 Postby ludite » October 10th, 2011, 3:44 pm

I never watched the first series but I watched the first two episodes of this series. It is entertaineing and well done Magie Smoth is wort watching.

Ken H

#16 Postby Ken H » October 10th, 2011, 5:28 pm

We just finished watching the first series. It's on Netflix over here, streamed through my son's PS3. It was originally broadcast on PBS (Public Broadcasting, gvt. subsidized TV) in the US and was very popular. It won an Emmy award. Part of their Masterpiece theater presentations, which consists mostly of British TV series.

Unfortunately, we won't get the second series until next year when it is shown on PBS. We enjoyed it a lot, but we also liked Monday, Monday! :D
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

getreal

#17 Postby getreal » October 10th, 2011, 9:45 pm

I missed the first series at the time it was first broadcast, but I watched the re-runs on STV and am now enjoying the 2nd series. An old classmate of mine has a fairly important part!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#18 Postby Alan C. » October 10th, 2011, 10:04 pm

getreal
An old classmate of mine has a fairly important part!
Name dropping is allowed :wink:
Though I'd be no wiser as an aTVeist. :smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

getreal

#19 Postby getreal » October 10th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Mrs Hughes.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Nick

#20 Postby Nick » October 10th, 2011, 10:54 pm

What a coincidence! I've just come across an actress bragging she was at school with a brilliant dog trainer and humanist...! :D

Return to “Culture Club”