INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Favourite Quotes Thread

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Emma Woolgatherer

Re: Favourite Quotes Thread

#21 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » October 15th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Lucretius wrote:"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot
For some reason, I really like that one. When did I get so bloodthirsty?

Here are a few of my favourites, in no particular order:

'A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right.' Thomas Paine

'All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.' Thomas Paine

'No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish.' David Hume

'Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do.' Voltaire

'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.' Voltaire

'Have not prisons [---][/---] which kill all will and force of character in man, which enclose within their walls more vices than are met with on any other spot of the globe [---][/---] always been universities of crime?' Peter Kropotkin

'Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.' Karl Marx

'People go to church for the same reasons they go to a tavern: to stupefy themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy.' Mikhail Bakunin

'The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.' Mikhail Bakunin

'In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it.' H.G. Wells

'Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.' Rosa Luxemburg

'If we don't believe in free expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ' Noam Chomsky

'The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.' George Bernard Shaw

'I can forgive Alfred Nobel for having invented dynamite, but only a fiend in human form could have invented the Nobel Prize.' George Bernard Shaw (Not one of my favourites, but topical!)

'The first man who, having fenced in a piece of land, said "This is mine," and found people naive enough to believe him, that man was the true founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows: Beware of listening to this impostor; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to nobody.' Jean Jacques Rousseau

'If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.' Emma Goldman

'Every daring attempt to make a great change in existing conditions, every lofty vision of new possibilities for the human race, has been labeled Utopian.' Emma Goldman

'A map of the world that does not include Utopia is not even worth glancing at.' Oscar Wilde

'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.' Oscar Wilde

'Stretching his hand up to reach the stars, too often man forgets the flowers at his feet.' Jeremy Bentham

Emma

Marian

#22 Post by Marian » October 15th, 2009, 11:26 pm

The christian system of religion is an outrage on common sense. Thomas Paine

Courage is not being fearless. It's being afraid and doing it anyway.

Be who you are and say what you mean.

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. Thomas Jefferson

Those who follow the crowd are quickly lost in it.

No-one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of another. Charles Dickens
Transformative fire...

jdc

#23 Post by jdc » October 19th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Lucretius wrote:"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition."
-Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
-CHARLES DARWIN, Introduction, The Descent of Man (1871)
Some excellent quotes there from Lucretius. I particularly like the two above. In fact, I think the Russell quote was my sig on another forum a while ago.

The Darwin quote reminds me of the Dunning-Kruger effect. "Unskilled and Unaware of it": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger
My Blog; Twitter.
Email: 325jdc325 (at) googlemail.com

SoldierForTruth

#24 Post by SoldierForTruth » October 21st, 2009, 11:02 pm

Bushisms:

"I hope you leave here and walk out and say, 'What did he say?'"

"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a hat."

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many ob-gyns aren't able to practice their love with women all across the country."

"Security is the essential roadblcok to achieving the road map to peace."

"I think we agree, the past is over."

"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating."

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

"In my judgment, when the United States says there will be consequences, and if there isn't serious consequences, it creates adverse consequences."

"Our priorities is our faith."

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."
"Loyalty to tradition is not enough. You've got to keep asking yourself: What if I'm wrong?"
-Daniel C. Dennett

Alan C.

#25 Post by Alan C. » October 30th, 2009, 10:41 pm

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.

-Herclitus
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

gunnerstahl

#26 Post by gunnerstahl » November 13th, 2009, 12:00 pm

I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves. -Ender in Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. -Umberto Eco

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently. -Friedrich Nietzsche

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. -Abraham Lincoln

SoldierForTruth

#27 Post by SoldierForTruth » November 22nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health."
-Carl Jung

"When they kept you out it was because you were black; when they let you in, it is because you are black. That's progress?"
-Marilyn French

"You always what you really don't understand."
-Elanor Roosevelt

"Maturity begins when we're content to feel we're right about something, without feeling the necessity to prove someone else wrong."
-Unknown

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you will become very happy; if you get a bad one, you will become a philosopher--and that is good for every man."
-Socrates

"If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it!"
-Jonathan Winters
"Loyalty to tradition is not enough. You've got to keep asking yourself: What if I'm wrong?"
-Daniel C. Dennett

Lucretius

#28 Post by Lucretius » November 23rd, 2009, 12:42 am

We need the books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us.
--Franz Kafka

I don't do this work to change the world; I do it so the world doesn't change me.
--A.J. Muste

Oh what a fearful thing it is to love something that death can touch...

Life is a tragedy filled with joy.--Bernard Malamud

Teachers are more essential then anything else, men who can give the young the ability to judge and distinguish, who serve them as examples in the honoring of truth, obedience to things of the spirit, respect for language.--Herman Hesse

Believe those seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

My history will not be long: the life that is devoted to knowledge passes silently away, and is very little diversified by events. To talk in public, to think in solitude, to read and to hear, to inquire and answer inquiries, is the business of a scholar. He wanders about the world without pomp or terror, and is neither known nor valued but by men like himself.
--Samuel Johnson

How very paltry and limited the normal human intellect is, and how little lucidity there is in the human consciousness, may be judged from the fact that, despite the ephemeral brevity of human life, the uncertainty of our existence and the countless enigmas which press upon us from all sides, everyone does not continually and ceaselessly philosophize, but that only the rarest of exceptions do. --Arthur Schopenhauer

Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.
--Friedrich von Schiller

He who seeks fame forgets how short are the memories of men.
--Marcus Aurelius

Death is the mother of beauty
--Wallace Stevens

The Educated Person is not the person who can answer the questions, but the person who can question the answers
--Theodore Schick, Jr.

A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful implanted in the human soul. --Johann Wolfgang Goethe

I have never thought of writing for redemption or honor. What I have in my heart must come out; that is the reason why I compose. --Ludwig van Beethoven

I would be true, for there are those who trust me. I would be pure for there are those who care. I would be strong, for there is much to suffer. And I would be brave, for there is much to dare.--H.A. Walter

As a rule
Man is a fool
When it's hot
He wants it cool
When it's cool
He wants it hot
Always wanting
What is not.
--Seneca
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Mencken

Ken H

#29 Post by Ken H » December 11th, 2009, 12:15 am

Definition of Christianity:

The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

(A hat-tip to LoneMateria of the happyatheist forum for this quote.)
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Ikiru

#30 Post by Ikiru » January 18th, 2010, 7:29 am

A few essentials for me:

...Once for each thing. Just / once; no more. And we too, just once. And / never again. But to have been this once, / completely, even if only once: to have been / at one with the earth, seems beyond / undoing. ~ Rainer Maria Rilke (Ninth Elegy)

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another, and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life. ~ Albert Camus

Men talk about Bible miracles because there is no miracle in their lives. Cease to gnaw that crust. There is ripe fruit over your head. ~ Henry David Thoreau

At last to guess, instead of always knowing. To be able to say “ah” and “oh” and “hey” instead of “yea” and “amen.” ~ Damiel (from Wings of Desire)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die. ~ Roy Batty (from Blade Runner)

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. ~ Carl Sagan

I can't afford to hate people. I don't have that kind of time. ~Kanji Watanabe (from Ikiru)

If a man takes no interest in politics, we do not praise him for minding his own business[---][/---]we say he is a bad citizen. ~ Pericles

A haiku is the expression of a temporary enlightenment, in which we see into the life of things. ~ R.H. Blyth

Don't follow in the footsteps of the old poets, seek what they sought. ~ Matsuo Basho

We have lost, being born, as much as we shall lose, dying. Everything. ~ E.M. Cioran

There is poetry as soon as we realize that we possess nothing. ~ John Cage

Do not fear mistakes. There are none. ~ Miles Davis

Some people wish above all to conform to the rules, I wish only to render what I can hear. There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. ~ Claude Debussy

I think if something doesn’t jolt your senses, forget it. It’s got to be seductive. ~ Brian Eno

Bach’s music is the only argument proving the creation of the universe cannot be regarded a complete failure. ~ E.M. Cioran

ETA: An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sketches from Life
“The materials for poetry are all about you in profusion.” ~ Masaoka Shiki

jamesjones950

#31 Post by jamesjones950 » January 18th, 2010, 9:31 pm

"Without art, we are but monkeys with car-keys."
New York graffitist.

"Shit happens, man." my mate David Codling, artist and musician.
a "New Atheist" for the last 55 years

Ken H

#32 Post by Ken H » January 19th, 2010, 1:04 am

Why spend a dollar on a book mark? Why not just use the dollar as a bookmark? - Unknown
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Ken H

#33 Post by Ken H » January 29th, 2010, 4:53 pm

So we and our elaborately evolving computers may meet each other halfway. Someday a human being, named perhaps Fred White, may shoot a robot named Pete Something-or-other, which has come out of a General Electric factory, and to his surprise see it weep and bleed. And the dying robot may shoot back and, to its surprise, see a wisp of gray smoke arise from the electric pump that it supposed was Mr. White's beating heart. It would be rather a great moment of truth for both of them.

-Philip K. Dick

Gottard

#34 Post by Gottard » January 30th, 2010, 8:21 am

Ken H wrote:So we and our elaborately evolving computers may meet each other halfway. Someday a human being, named perhaps Fred White, may shoot a robot named Pete Something-or-other, which has come out of a General Electric factory, and to his surprise see it weep and bleed. And the dying robot may shoot back and, to its surprise, see a wisp of gray smoke arise from the electric pump that it supposed was Mr. White's beating heart. It would be rather a great moment of truth for both of them. -Philip K. Dick
Nice, and a realistic description :thumbsup:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

getreal

#35 Post by getreal » February 2nd, 2010, 11:23 pm

Don't know if this has been posted before.

"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Ikiru

#36 Post by Ikiru » February 3rd, 2010, 12:02 am

"Hell is a special favour reserved for those who have asked for it insistently." ~Albert Camus
Sketches from Life
“The materials for poetry are all about you in profusion.” ~ Masaoka Shiki

Lord Muck oGentry

#37 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » February 3rd, 2010, 12:22 am

Attributed ( by some wicked heathen, I am sure) to C S Lewis as Tolkien started reciting at the Inklings:
Christ! Not more fucking elves...

And my favourite:
Nothing but a pack of lies... Damon Runyon on Alice in Wonderland.
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

Fia

#38 Post by Fia » February 3rd, 2010, 6:47 pm

Ken H wrote:So we and our elaborately evolving computers may meet each other halfway. Someday a human being, named perhaps Fred White, may shoot a robot named Pete Something-or-other, which has come out of a General Electric factory, and to his surprise see it weep and bleed. And the dying robot may shoot back and, to its surprise, see a wisp of gray smoke arise from the electric pump that it supposed was Mr. White's beating heart. It would be rather a great moment of truth for both of them.

-Philip K. Dick
Is that from "Do robots dream of electric sheep?" Ken? (that was made into a depressing movie where it rained all the time...)

I like your Buddha quote, getreal. So will add my current favourite, also a Bhudda quote, to the pot:

“Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.”

getreal

#39 Post by getreal » February 3rd, 2010, 6:49 pm

Do you know who said that, Fia?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Fia

#40 Post by Fia » February 3rd, 2010, 6:59 pm

Buddha - I edited to add citation 30seconds after posting :)

Ken H

#41 Post by Ken H » February 10th, 2010, 2:35 am

Is that from "Do robots dream of electric sheep?" Ken? (that was made into a depressing movie where it rained all the time...)
I think it may be from "We Can Build You", which I haven't read, but I'm not sure. I don't recall it in "Do Robots Dream...", one of my favorites from P. K. Dick (along with Ubik). The movie was just "inspired" by the book. I enjoyed the movie, it was very atmospheric, but the book had a better story line.

"America's health care system is second only to Japan... Canada, Sweden, Great Britain... well, all of Europe. But you can thank your lucky stars we don't live in Paraguay!" - Homer Simpson.