INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Tutti Frutti

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
lewist

Tutti Frutti

#1 Post by lewist » August 3rd, 2009, 8:09 am

Tutti Frutti, the best BBC serial of the eighties (in my opinion) finally came out on dvd today. It stars Emma Thompson and Robbie Coltrane and is a hoot from beginning to end.

I went to order it from Amazon and they have sold out. Would you believe it? Anyway, I'll wait patiently for it to arrive.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

Re: Tutti Frutti

#2 Post by Alan H » August 3rd, 2009, 10:04 am

Know of it, but never watched it!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#3 Post by Maria Mac » August 3rd, 2009, 11:00 am

I watched it but can't remember anything about it except that I enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads up about the DVDs. TV-wise, I always jump at the chance to take a trip down memory lane.

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » August 4th, 2009, 12:06 am

Wow! Thanks, Lewist. I do remember watching and hugly enjoying the series.

John Byrne is a boy from my husband's home town and worked in the same carpet factory as my dad (The Slab Boys was based on his time there). He also went to the same school as my brother.
A lot of it was filmed locally, too (my old school makes a fleeting appearance).

I'm going to Glasgow on Wednesday and I shall try to pick up a copy.

Found this.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

gcb01

#5 Post by gcb01 » August 4th, 2009, 2:36 pm

I remember it well and the host of great characters. I will be interested to see how it stands up ot the passage of time. I saw Richard Wilson being interviewed about it the other night and he said that in Scotland, people tend to ask him to say: "Miss Toner!" rather than "I don't believe it!". If you didn't see/don't remember it, he was the band's manager and Miss Toner was his assistant.
Regards

Campbell

getreal

#6 Post by getreal » August 4th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Katy Murphy played Miss Toner.

The part which sticks in my mind is the time when
Spoiler:
their tour took them to the western isles and a couple of them were watching a childrens gaelic tv programme. In walked another band member who, after watching the TV for a few moments, said "but, ye cannae understaun that!" to which the other 2 replied "Aye! but that's because it's fur weans!!"
Ah! the memories!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Beki

#7 Post by Beki » August 18th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Cheers for this Lewis. My mum loved this when it was out - methinks it would make a great pressie!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » August 18th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Emmm...you may need to provide a translation of some of that for our non-Scots members, Getreal!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#9 Post by getreal » August 18th, 2009, 5:45 pm

The problems with being bilingual!

their tour took them to the western isles and a couple of them were watching a childrens gaelic tv programme. In walked another band member who, after watching the TV for a few moments, said "but, ye cannae understaun that!"
"but you cannot understand that!"
to which the other 2 replied "Aye! but that's because it's fur weans!!"
"yes, but that is because it is for children"

*sigh*

Beki

#10 Post by Beki » September 7th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Beki wrote:Cheers for this Lewis. My mum loved this when it was out - methinks it would make a great pressie!
She loved it so much that she had already bought it :sad:

She actually bought it twice by mistake - so I have inherited a copy to watch because I missed it first time around! :D
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi

getreal

#11 Post by getreal » September 7th, 2009, 7:24 pm

Lucky you, becki!

I may just have to buy myself a copy. I cannot rely on family members to buy it for me.