INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Music

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Tetenterre

Re: Music

#281 Post by Tetenterre » August 31st, 2012, 11:06 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

There is something about the energy (and politics) of this guy...

Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

animist

#282 Post by animist » October 9th, 2012, 5:44 pm

most of my posts here have been attempts to get a response to some jazz piece I have highlighted, and have been about as successful as Bindeweede's posts about pretty solid classical music :wink: . So this time, I wonder what people think about this alleged resurgence of interest in vinyl records, which is apparently a reaction to the increasing domination of downloads, the death of the LP etc. I suppose that enjoying the scratches on an LP are a bit like appreciating the discolourations, tears and dog-ears of well-loved books, but neither case appeals to me personally. If you know what I am on about, any views?

Alan H

#283 Post by Alan H » October 9th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Listening to noisy, crackly, frequency limited music on single, LP or analogue tape holds no appeal to me whatsoever! Give me good quality clean mp3 or aac anytime!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

stevenw888

#284 Post by stevenw888 » October 11th, 2012, 5:13 pm

I'm with you both on this one. Crackling, noisy, warped vinyl records with their dependence on diamond tipped styluses (the old playground cry of "My diamond tipped stylus cost more than your diamond tipped stylus") are as nothing compared to the beautiful digital sound that is CD, mp3 or flac. The first time I heard "Tubular Bells" in CD format (in 1990) I was dumbstruck and played it at least three more times at nearly full volume as what I was listening to, was exactly what the composer had wanted me to listen to in the first place, a beautiful sharp sound that had never emanated from my speakers when I played the vinyl album.

I had to rush out and buy all my ELP albums again just so that I could appreciate them in all their glory!
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Alan H

#285 Post by Alan H » October 11th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Was listening to Tubular Bells two evenings ago on Spotify!

Anyone use Spotify? If you don't subscribe, the ads are a bit annoying, but that'll be intentional!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Tetenterre

#286 Post by Tetenterre » October 12th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Alan H wrote:Anyone use Spotify?
Did for a bit (had a free sub). Preferred just to have my own stuff on "random".
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

stevenw888

#287 Post by stevenw888 » October 13th, 2012, 1:42 pm

If you like Spotify, you'll love this website!

http://neverendingplaylist.com

Just type in an artist name and a playlist appears, which you can then play, it's fantastic!
Much easier to operate than Spotify
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

animist

#288 Post by animist » October 13th, 2012, 7:04 pm

stevenw888 wrote:If you like Spotify, you'll love this website!

http://neverendingplaylist.com

Just type in an artist name and a playlist appears, which you can then play, it's fantastic!
Much easier to operate than Spotify
thanks, Steve, seems a very useful way to hear lots of the same artist. Some of my selections seem to have been labelled wrongly, but maybe that makes it more interesting!

lewist

#289 Post by lewist » November 21st, 2012, 10:20 pm

OK, this is a bit of parental prejudice but please listen to The Graveyard Band. The singer is my elder son Robin, who makes his living as a tour manager for bands. He has played in bands himself since he was fourteen, which makes it nineteen years. I still think one day he might make it, either as a song writer or as a musician.

However, I have to confess to being a bit prejudiced. :)
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

animist

#290 Post by animist » November 24th, 2012, 5:49 pm

lewist wrote:OK, this is a bit of parental prejudice but please listen to The Graveyard Band. The singer is my elder son Robin, who makes his living as a tour manager for bands. He has played in bands himself since he was fourteen, which makes it nineteen years. I still think one day he might make it, either as a song writer or as a musician.

However, I have to confess to being a bit prejudiced. :)
and so you should be, Lewis, and proud. Not my favourite sort of music, but it has a gritty originality, and anything which reminds me of the Incredible String Band is welcome :smile:

lewist

#291 Post by lewist » November 24th, 2012, 6:45 pm

animist wrote:
lewist wrote:...and anything which reminds me of the Incredible String Band is welcome :smile:
I suspect the band would take that as an amazing compliment, Animist, so thank you!

lewist

#292 Post by lewist » March 10th, 2013, 10:02 am

Leon Bismark (Bix) Beiderbecke was born 110 years ago today. He is credited with being the first great white jazz musician. His wikipedia entry is interesting. For a flavour of the hot jazz he played go to Youtube.

Nick

#293 Post by Nick » March 10th, 2013, 5:35 pm

I bought a CD of his music (though not played by him, I IIRC) after seeing the Beidebecke Affair on TV many years ago. Love it!

lewist

#294 Post by lewist » March 10th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Nick wrote:I bought a CD of his music (though not played by him, I IIRC) after seeing the Beidebecke Affair on TV many years ago. Love it!
The music for the television series was played by Frank Ricotti's All Stars, Nick. Not only is the music good, but the three television series (The Afffair, Tapes & Connection) were all good. :smile:

Tetenterre

#295 Post by Tetenterre » July 22nd, 2013, 9:00 am

Just got back from spending 5 days being an ageing hippie at the Larmer Tree Festival. One of the many excellent acts was local lad, Steve Knightley (of Show of Hands); I thought this one would appeal here:

They provided a bit of background, to a slightly different version (for the benefit of William Hague) of the song on the Andrew Marr Show:

Steve also recounts that, at the breakfast after the show, he asked Hague if they could send him a CD. Steve can't be sure because of Hague's accent, but he thinks the response was, "No, you can't!"

Steve also does a good (and evolving) line in wind-ups for telephone cold callers -- I'll try to find the thread on that...
Steve

Tetenterre

#296 Post by Tetenterre » July 22nd, 2013, 9:30 am

(Duplicate post deleted)
Steve

Alan H

#297 Post by Alan H » July 23rd, 2013, 12:52 pm

Alan Henness

Nick

#298 Post by Nick » August 13th, 2013, 12:40 pm

An electronic postcard to all my friends on TH!" :D

Having a fabulous time at Broadstairs Folk Week. Spent last night singing sea shanties with a bunch of other grey fat bearded old men, drining real ale (what else?) at the Four Candles pub. Have a look at their web-site. Dogs and well behaved owners are welcome. :D And I like the simplicity of their price list... :D

Must go now: more singing to do!

See you all again soon!

Sel

#299 Post by Sel » August 13th, 2013, 2:07 pm

:party: Sounds like a great time. I am envious indeedy.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

animist

#300 Post by animist » August 14th, 2013, 8:07 am

Nick wrote: Spent last night singing sea shanties with a bunch of other grey fat bearded old men
so a prerequisite for joining in is having yer beard contain grey fat? Greyt!

Nick

#301 Post by Nick » August 15th, 2013, 11:04 am

animist wrote:
Nick wrote: Spent last night singing sea shanties with a bunch of other grey fat bearded old men
so a prerequisite for joining in is having yer beard contain grey fat? Greyt!
That would be the camp-site's full-english breakfast.... :D