INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Music

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
lewist

Re: Music

#361 Post by lewist » May 7th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Alan H wrote:Goodness...
Indeed... but he's just a young fresh faced guy... :sad2:
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#362 Post by Alan H » May 7th, 2016, 1:39 pm

Dave B wrote:Just listened to interview with Ralph McTell.

Seems it was 50 years ago that he wrote and first sung "Streets of London"

Blimey, seems like only . . .

Still relevant.
According to Wikipedia, it was released in 1969 - but maybe he wrote it few years earlier?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#363 Post by Dave B » May 7th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:Just listened to interview with Ralph McTell.

Seems it was 50 years ago that he wrote and first sung "Streets of London"

Blimey, seems like only . . .

Still relevant.
According to Wikipedia, it was released in 1969 - but maybe he wrote it few years earlier?
Hmm.the interviewer mentioned "fifty years" and he did not demur. Perhaps I missed an "nearly" in there - 47 years ago is a near miss :smile:

PS: he may have sung it live before 1969, little memory bell ringing there.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#364 Post by Tetenterre » October 13th, 2016, 3:15 pm

Bob Dylan's only gone and got himself a Nobel gong - and I've gone all starry-eyed and laughing!

Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Nick

#365 Post by Nick » October 14th, 2016, 8:27 am

Eric Bogle's take on Dylan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mOHvUUzgn0

Enjoy!

Tetenterre

#366 Post by Tetenterre » October 14th, 2016, 10:28 am

:D
Thanks - I'd forgotten about that one - I always remember Bogle for Green Fields of France and The Band Played Waltzing Matilda, both of which I used to massacre in folk clubs 40 years ago.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Tetenterre

#367 Post by Tetenterre » December 5th, 2016, 7:09 pm

One of my students recently introduced me to this. One of those "first times I've really heard the words" moments:

Steve

Alan H

#368 Post by Alan H » December 5th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Can't say I like any other track of theirs, but I do like that one!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Tetenterre

#369 Post by Tetenterre » December 6th, 2016, 9:42 am

Alan H wrote:Can't say I like any other track of theirs
Neither do I.
Steve

Alan H

#370 Post by Alan H » December 9th, 2016, 12:03 am

And another one bites the dust: Greg Lake, aged 69.

I learned something from the journalist Meirion Jones this evening: ELP recorded Aaron Copland's Fanfare the Common man (superb IMHO). Meirion said that ELP's manager, Stewart Young, had called Copland (aged 76 at the time) for permission to use it and he said "This is brilliant, fantastic, doing something to my music."
Alan Henness

Tetenterre

#371 Post by Tetenterre » December 9th, 2016, 12:12 am

Liked King Crimson, loathed Cumbersome, Fake and Trauma (& prog rock in general).

On a general point, several people have commented how shite 2016 has been for the death of people we value - statistical inevitability, folks: we are all getting closer to the "likely to die this year" cohort!
Steve

Alan H

#372 Post by Alan H » December 9th, 2016, 12:43 am

Tetenterre wrote:Liked King Crimson, loathed Cumbersome, Fake and Trauma (& prog rock in general).

On a general point, several people have commented how shite 2016 has been for the death of people we value - statistical inevitability, folks: we are all getting closer to the "likely to die this year" cohort!
Tim Harford covered this on More or Less in April: Celebrity Deaths
Alan Henness

Tetenterre

#373 Post by Tetenterre » December 19th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Alan H wrote:Tim Harford covered this on More or Less in April: Celebrity Deaths
Eventually got around to listening to this - thanks. :smile:
Steve

stevenw888

#374 Post by stevenw888 » June 1st, 2017, 11:22 am

So, 1st June 2017, a red-letter day for all of us music buffs - 50 years since the release of the ground-breaking "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." However, it is not so widely publicised that today is also an auspicious day for another of our British creative talents - today is also the 50th anniversary of the release of "David Bowie" David's very first LP - recorded for Decca on the Deram label when he was just 20 years of age.
Sadly the album flopped - reaching only number 125 in the British album charts, causing Decca to drop Bowie. He wouldn't make another album for two years.
Bowie's first album evidenced heavy influences of Anthony Newley, Ray Davies and, to a lessor extent, Syd Barrett, but the overriding theme of it was its Britishness - tracks like "Maid of Bond Street" and "Join The Gang" spoke of an England somewhere between the 50s and the 60s.
The Beatles' magnum opus, recorded just one and a half miles away in the Abbey Road studios, showed a very similar direction - tracks like "Being for the benefit of Mr Kite" and "A Day in the life" were steeped in British cultural history.
Bowie's first album, although not a commercial success, gave him recording and arranging experience (he arranged the album with Dek Fearnley, having reportedly taught themselves the craft using the Observer Book of Music) a skill which undoubtably helped considerably when recording subsequent albums.
I'm a big fan of Bowie's first album and will certainly be giving it a spin a few times today.
Bowie-davidbowie.jpg
Bowie-davidbowie.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 11778 times
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

stevenw888

#375 Post by stevenw888 » August 2nd, 2017, 1:08 pm

Great video here, but it raises an interesting point. Do other species respond to music, either positively or negatively and if so, why? And does music make male cockatoos amorous?
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"