INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Music

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Tetenterre

Re: Music

#241 Post by Tetenterre » May 8th, 2012, 1:46 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Superb! I used to do that one (& The Band Played Waltzing Matilda) when I sang in folk clubs in the '70s & 80s; learned it off Finbar Furey in a pub in Cork in 1974. I have to say that I prefer June Tabor's rendition (on Ashes & Diamonds); Bogle's a fantastic songwriter, but June's voice is just so incredibly good. Nowadays I can't sing it -- or hear it -- without crying so, on the odd occasion I still sing, I tend to do Johnny I hardly Knew Ye, Arthur McBride (can't get my fingers to do the twiddly bits nowadays), and Matt McGinn's Lots of Little Soldiers instead if I want to do anti-war stuff. In a similar vein, I also used to do this and this.

At the risk of seeming competitive, and for very different reasons, my most tear-jerking tear-jerker has to be Chicken Shack's version of Etta James's I'd Rather Go Blind
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#242 Post by Alan H » May 8th, 2012, 10:09 am

I hope Getreal was listening to Desert Island Discs yesterday? Some bloke called Minchin was on...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#243 Post by Nick » May 21st, 2012, 10:28 am

I just thought you might be interested in, or amused, amazed, or maybe appalled, by this.

Waddya think? :)

stevenw888

#244 Post by stevenw888 » May 21st, 2012, 10:40 am

I love it! It's brilliant. To call that man a virtuoso is an understatement!
I might possibly have listened to more Beethoven at school if there had been guitar versions like this about.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

stevenw888

#245 Post by stevenw888 » May 21st, 2012, 12:55 pm

And talking of classics shifting to a new environment, try this...

http://www.frequency.com/video/flash-mo ... /45165252/
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Tetenterre

#246 Post by Tetenterre » May 21st, 2012, 6:04 pm

If anyone is not yet acquainted with the recordings of FFJ, they should be!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtf2Q4yyuJ0 :laughter:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

stevenw888

#247 Post by stevenw888 » May 23rd, 2012, 12:59 pm

Great stuff! I'm not sure that that particular rendition would have done much to turn me on to classical music!

I especially liked this comment underneath...

"Sounds like someone is sawing off her nipples with a rusty nail-file while she tries to sing."

bindeweede

#248 Post by bindeweede » June 5th, 2012, 12:22 am

J.S.Bach fans might be interested in this. A young Dutch pianist I've only just come across. I like the clean, simple style. Is it me, or are Youtube clips getting so much better visually and aurally?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAPxKhbRtrw

Alan H

#249 Post by Alan H » June 5th, 2012, 12:34 am

bindeweede wrote:Is it me, or are Youtube clips getting so much better visually and aurally?
That one's not in HD (it's just 480, but still better than a lot at 320), but there are lots more these days that are HD and that will probably mean better sound quality as well.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#250 Post by Nick » June 18th, 2012, 7:16 pm

A blast from the past:

New World were on The Two Ronnies in the 1970's. The Honeywind Blows reminds me of Jackie, who broke my heart, all those years ago. (She later went to Africa as a Baptist missionary.... hmm.... maybe we weren't meant to be together, but I still miss her...) It's good to have a sea shanty, and the music of Mary Ann is just wonderful (well, Ok the lyrics about lobsters are a little odd....)

Desert Island Disc material.....

But then again, I'm just an old softie.

BTW is it just me, or do us guys look twerps in previous decades whereas the girls just shine through in all their beauty...?

Nick

#251 Post by Nick » June 18th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Talking of whom, does thisremind you of anything, like this,for example?

Though The Animals' version is more famous, it makes more sense from a female perspective.

stevenw888

#252 Post by stevenw888 » June 19th, 2012, 3:52 pm

Nick, I remember New World, especially "Sister Jane" which must've been a hit when I was about 15.

I never knew this about them though.
From YouTube "The group appeared on the UK talent show Opportunity Knocks, but were tried at the Old Bailey for receiving one bogus vote (obtained after performing at a girls' college when one girl put in a vote for a friend who had gone to bed). They were subsequently acquitted."

Why would anyone take the trouble to prosecute a group for receiving 1 bogus vote??!! Goodness me, didn't the Crown Prosecution Service have more things to worry about in 1974?

Dave B

#253 Post by Dave B » June 22nd, 2012, 8:25 pm

Listening to a Bert Weedon CD, bought it after hearing of his death and then lost it in the filing system - found it again not long ago.

Brings back memories - love the sound of the double bass/sax/guitar combo again! But I find the sound of the maestro's guitar too bright, too twangy, too sharp edged now. I think the odd track in a play list will suffice!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#254 Post by Nick » June 29th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Who's the miserable git behind the dancers.....?

Alan C.

#255 Post by Alan C. » June 29th, 2012, 7:48 pm

miserable git
Well you said it! You look like you'd rather be somewhere else.
Was the dancer Billy Connolly? :D
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

lewist

#256 Post by lewist » June 29th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Well this miserable old git is off to the Suidhe which may be busy tonight, as the Corrieyarrack challenge is tomorrow, with 500 cyclists and runners coming to Kincraig for a 46 mile race over the hills.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

lewist

#257 Post by lewist » June 29th, 2012, 10:28 pm

And I came back again after a pleasant evening in our friendly pub with my friend Peter (moothies) and young Ilona on the fiddle. It was a very good evening but I'm home early because I'm working at the village fete tomorrow. It happens at the same time as the Challenge and I have the roadshow there along with the offer of electric scooters on loan for any disabled people who may come. Work? Did I say work? Well I'll get a day in lieu but work?... Who would like a job like mine?
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#258 Post by Alan H » June 29th, 2012, 11:04 pm

lewist wrote:And I came back again after a pleasant evening in our friendly pub with my friend Peter (moothies) and young Ilona on the fiddle. It was a very good evening but I'm home early because I'm working at the village fete tomorrow. It happens at the same time as the Challenge and I have the roadshow there along with the offer of electric scooters on loan for any disabled people who may come. Work? Did I say work? Well I'll get a day in lieu but work?... Who would like a job like mine?
Your reward will be in heav... Or not, as the case may be.
Alan Henness

Nick

#259 Post by Nick » June 30th, 2012, 9:08 am

Alan C. wrote:
miserable git
Well you said it! You look like you'd rather be somewhere else.
I think the grin in under the beard, but at the very end it does look as if I've dropped off... :laughter:
Was the dancer Billy Connolly? :D
Sadly no, but he's a nice guy. His dance partner is part of a local Appalachian clog dance troupe known as the Hoofers who follow the band around the pubs. The guitarist, Trevor, always looks pretty lugubrious, but has a great sense of dry humour. If anyone fancies a great evening, they are appearing at the same venue this Wednesday, so do come along!

bindeweede

#260 Post by bindeweede » July 4th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Loads of versions of Dvorak's "Song to the Moon" on Youtube, I listened to 6 or so, but this one just as a little something extra. Not great sound, but a great voice in its prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPTh_q7 ... ure=fvwrel

getreal

#261 Post by getreal » July 5th, 2012, 9:19 am

I was a big Bowie fan in the 70s and 80s (how can you tell?), but thatnks a bio I'm currently reading, I'm listening to some of his more secent stuff. I kind of gave up on him around the "China Girl" period as (I thought) I was way too cool to listen to such commercial music (totally ignorng the fact that Ziggy Stardust and Alladin Sane were alo commercial). I'm currently listening to "Heathen", which I think is the best post 80s music of his I have heard (though, I haven't heard all that much)- and not a sparkle in sight!

drat! I forget which part of the URL you cut before putting the tags on (however, I'm amazed that I seem to know what a URL and tags are!)
Last edited by Alan H on July 5th, 2012, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just the ID bit, in this case, a8NBpfkpyZw
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.