INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Theatre

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Beki

Theatre

#1 Post by Beki » November 20th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Saw the second half of "Sunshine On Leith" at the Dundee Rep the other night

(I was up visiting my Gran in the hospital for the first half unfortunately :sad: . She's ok though, it's nothing too serious).

Anyway, from what I saw (and from the reviews of the other folk I was with who saw the whole thing) it is REALLY worth going to see. I think it's touring Glasgow and Embra soon? (Don't know - haven't checked).

It's based around the songs of the Proclaimers so it's great to sing along to so if you like that sort of thing - catch it if you can!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi

Ted Harvey

Re: Theatre

#2 Post by Ted Harvey » November 22nd, 2008, 3:05 pm

Thanks for the tip Beki. It's a real shame that the the public and media seem to generally so neglect theatre in Scotland - all the more so since Scottish drama writing has been going through something of a mini golden age over the past decade or so.

I can recall going to the premiere of The National Theatre of Scotland's Marie Stuart last year in The Citizens. A top-line cast, and a quality production as the first major creation from the new national theatre. But I watched both STV and BBC 'regional' news programmes in vein for even a mention, never mind of review, of this significant event. However, there was mention on both channels for some banality from one of the so-called reality shows... seems if anything in the cultural field doesn't emanate from the metro-London elites it just doesn't register on our national channels.

Rant over, and thanks again for your tip and I will try to watch out for future performances in Glasgow.

Beki

#3 Post by Beki » December 5th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Hi Ted - sorry, I've just had a chance to look back at this post. I know what you mean about the neglect of theatre. I used to love going to see things when I lived in Glasgow and there is no doubt that Glasgow is completely spoiled with having so many amazing theatres and so many brilliant things on - you just don't get that up here in Dundee. Theatre is something that I think people up here think is reserved for the 'posh folk' - not like Glasgow where everyone goes.

Best shows ever were the 'one-off' ones like "The Big Picnic" (at the Govan Shipyards) or "Border Warfare" which was shown at the Tramway and was about 4 hours long. I went to see it THREE TIMES in the time that it was there, it was that good!

Despite the great reputation of the Dundee Rep theatre company (and they are good), I just don't like the wee theatre in Dundee as much as, say the Kings / Theatre Royal / Tron / Citz - actually any of the Glasgow theatres. That said, I saw a lovely Romeo and Juliet at the Rep recently and there was a great play called "The Wall" which had a very small, very young cast from somewhere on the West Coast which was great fun.

The good thing was that "Sunshine on Leith" was sold out for weeks before it came to the Dundee Rep so that is really encouraging and hopefully people will see that it is actually a fairly inexpensive way to have an occasional decent night out. Fingers crossed!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#4 Post by Maria Mac » December 5th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Beki wrote:I know what you mean about the neglect of theatre. I used to love going to see things when I lived in Glasgow and there is no doubt that Glasgow is completely spoiled with having so many amazing theatres and so many brilliant things on - you just don't get that up here in Dundee. Theatre is something that I think people up here think is reserved for the 'posh folk' - not like Glasgow where everyone goes.
Funny you should say that. I always said one of the worst things about living in Glasgow was the dearth of good theatre. When I first moved there, I spent hours looking for something to go and see but found that, although there were quite a few places called 'theatres', they mostly staged bands or end-of-pier stuff that you'd have to pay me to go and see. When I did find things that sounded worth seeing, they were always on for very short runs - sometimes just a few days. And most of what I did end up seeing was disappointing. I also found most of the theatre websites unhelpful. In the end I just gave up looking out for stuff. It's indeed a shame that if and when good theatre happens, it doesn't get the coverage it deserves.