INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Result! Russell Brand resigns from Radio 2

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Maria Mac
Site Admin

Result! Russell Brand resigns from Radio 2

#1 Post by Maria Mac » October 29th, 2008, 6:09 pm

It's always been a mystery to me why the unwashed and obnoxious Brand is as popular as he is though in truth I blame Ross - who I generally find pretty funny - much more for this offence. I'm glad Ross, who seemed to think he was invincible, has had his show suspended and hope he learns his lesson. [/rant]

Firebrand

Re: Result! Russell Brand resigns from Radio 2

#2 Post by Firebrand » October 29th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Yay! :happyclappy:

I detest this custom on both radio and TV of phoning people in order to wind them up and it was only a matter of time before someone went too far. I'm not at all surprised there were over 18,000 complaints but I'm gobsmacked that so many young people on youtube are saying they though it was really funny.

:angry:

DougS

#3 Post by DougS » October 29th, 2008, 9:29 pm

I think that custom has gone too far quite a few times, Firebrand. Steve Penk's radio show made me cringe the couple of times I heard it. The difference is that this time the victim was famous and respected, instead of being just somebody's grandad.

I sympathise with the grandaughter most of all. She's admitted she and Brand had a relationship but how mortifying for her to have the news broken in that way to her grandfaither and broadcast to the nation! I hope the payment she received from the Sun for selling her story today goes some small towards compensating her. :D

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » October 29th, 2008, 10:50 pm

I did wonder if what Ross said was, in fact, true. Does it make a difference that it was true rather than a lie? It does, but it was still a crass thing to do and the producer/censor should have cut it out. It could have been that Ross and Brand had an expectation that it would have been cut, but I don't think they've claimed that. The responsibility for saying what they did was entirely theirs, but the ultimate responsibility for it being broadcast was the producer's.

I suspect that a lot of the complaints were from people who haven't actually listened to what was said, but perhaps just objected to the amount of money he gets paid or because they don't like their particular brand of humour, rather than on the details of the phone message.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Ninny

#5 Post by Ninny » October 30th, 2008, 10:57 am

Surely all the publicity will only make Ross and Brand more saleable products - won't other companies be queueing up to pay them millions? Let's not believe that they will disappear into penury - life isn't that just!

lewist

#6 Post by lewist » October 30th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Ninny wrote:Surely all the publicity will only make Ross and Brand more saleable products - won't other companies be queueing up to pay them millions? Let's not believe that they will disappear into penury - life isn't that just!
Sad but true, Ninny!

I lead a very sheltered life. I had never heard of Russell Brand and I am not sure yet what he does or did before he resigned. Jonathan Ross I had seen a couple of times on television and couldn't believe he was paid what he was (or is). I would certainly not choose to watch a programme with him in it.

It seems to be an unfortunate modern trend to present cruelty as entertainment. Am I right in thinking that is what these two did? It is a great pity that this affair is being used by enemies of the BBC to attack it.

Why do they feel the need to broadcast this kind of thing anyway? The BBC may have serious faults but its standards are generally very high and it would be a great pity if the ordinary licence payer lost out as a result. I watch only a little television but it is nearly all on BBC1, 2 or 4. Most evenings I can find a couple of hours of worthwhile viewing between the three. If not there is always surfing Sky Freesat which is an amazing and fascinating repository of bad taste and drivel.

Brand and Ross? :shrug: :sad2:
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

lewist

#7 Post by lewist » October 30th, 2008, 1:47 pm

In Dundee museum I recall seeing a scold's bridle, a metal frame with a device to hold down the tongue of a gossiping woman. It was used as a punishment in medieval Dundee. Ten hours a day of that for a month might be suitable for these two?
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » October 30th, 2008, 2:34 pm

lewist wrote:In Dundee museum I recall seeing a scold's bridle, a metal frame with a device to hold down the tongue of a gossiping woman. It was used as a punishment in medieval Dundee.
***scuttles over to ebay to see if anyone is selling one*** :wink:
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Nick

#9 Post by Nick » October 30th, 2008, 6:10 pm

I don't care for Ross much,especially when he tries to lead his interviewees into edgy territory, and care for Brand a lot less. However, has all this been overblown? How has it benefited Sachs to have this story plastered over the news for what seems like months?

If I'd been the DG, I'd have fined Ross, Brand and the producer a fortnight's salary each and given it to Sachs as damages. Mistakes happen. Let's move on.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#10 Post by Maria Mac » October 30th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Alan H wrote:I did wonder if what Ross said was, in fact, true. Does it make a difference that it was true rather than a lie?
I don't think whether it was true or false matters in the slightest. What matters is that people's sexual relationships are private unless they choose to make them public. Neither the young woman nor Brand himself had chosen to speak to publicly about this one and it was bad enough that Ross decided to tell her grandfather of all people - and in such a juvenile manner - even without the rest of the country hearing. What a tosser! TBH, I'm not even sure why Brand is being blamed for this one apart from that he didn't apologise quickly enough. Of course, it was his stupid idea to phone Sachs in the first place and not hang when the answering machine came on.

I'm just glad he's lost something but I've frequently found him offensive in his TV appearances.
Ninny wrote:Surely all the publicity will only make Ross and Brand more saleable products - won't other companies be queueing up to pay them millions? Let's not believe that they will disappear into penury - life isn't that just!
I'm sure neither will have trouble finding work, (assuming that the BBC sack Ross, which I doubt if they will). But I don't think making a fuss and rapping their knuckles will necessarily make them more saleable. What it will do, hopefully, is demonstrate to them and others that there is still a line that shouldn't be crossed and that they shouldn't think that anything is ever certain, including their popularity and high-earnings.
lewist wrote: It seems to be an unfortunate modern trend to present cruelty as entertainment. Am I right in thinking that is what these two did?
Yep - that's exactly what I'd call it.
Alan H wrote:
lewist wrote:In Dundee museum I recall seeing a scold's bridle, a metal frame with a device to hold down the tongue of a gossiping woman. It was used as a punishment in medieval Dundee.
***scuttles over to ebay to see if anyone is selling one*** :wink:
:sad:

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#11 Post by Maria Mac » October 31st, 2008, 12:46 am

Nick wrote: However, has all this been overblown? How has it benefited Sachs to have this story plastered over the news for what seems like months?

If I'd been the DG, I'd have fined Ross, Brand and the producer a fortnight's salary each and given it to Sachs as damages. Mistakes happen. Let's move on.
Yes, it probably has been overblown. I'm amazed it's had the coverage that it has. I don't think it's either benefited or harmed Sachs, particularly. And I think it's only been a few days, hasn't it?

If Brand hadn't resigned, I'd have been happy with a three-month suspension like Ross has got. I expect it'll blow over pretty soon.

Nick

#12 Post by Nick » October 31st, 2008, 9:50 am

Maria wrote:Yes, it probably has been overblown.
In fact, definitely overblown. Whatever happened to "sticks and stones....?"

Alan H

#13 Post by Alan H » October 31st, 2008, 11:31 am

I think it is the usual media frenzy feeding the public feeding the media...
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#14 Post by Alan C. » October 31st, 2008, 8:10 pm

The fact that Woss hasn't been sacked, will only serve to make his (already oversized) head, even bigger, the guy is an arse, and because of him I have to switch off radio 2 every Saturday as we drive back from town. :cross:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » November 9th, 2008, 10:09 am

In today's Observer:
********************************************************************************
Russell Brand: We cut the really bad stuff | Media | The Observer
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/no ... ross-sachs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brand: We cut the really bad stuff
Comic says the most offensive parts of the Sachs messages were edited out before the broadcast

* Vanessa Thorpe, arts and media correspondent
* guardian.co.uk, Sunday November 9 2008 00.01 GMT
* The Observer, Sunday November 9 2008
* Article history

Russell Brand

Brand says neither he nor Ross would have behaved in the same way on a live show

Russell Brand has revealed that the recording of the obscene messages left on the answering machine of the Fawlty Towers' actor Andrew Sachs had been toned down before it was aired.

In an interview with the Observer Magazine, the first time that he has spoken at length about the events that led to his recent resignation from the BBC, Brand says: 'We took out the more personal stuff.' The comedian, who is now in Los Angeles, says he also believed Sachs had approved the contents of the pre-recorded radio show: 'The thing was, we were told that Andrew Sachs had okayed it.'

He goes on to explain that he and his guest, Jonathan Ross, had been reassured by the fact that the 25-year-old independent producer of the programme had spoken to Sachs and agreed to edit out the lewdest sections of dialogue, which concerned Brand's sexual encounter with Sachs's 23-year-old granddaughter.

'The grey area is that our brilliant young producer, Nic Philps, called Andrew Sachs afterwards and said, "Is it OK? Can we use it? Do you mind?" And he said, "Oh yeah, but can you tone it down a bit?" So we did. We took out the more personal stuff.'

Brand says neither he nor Ross would have behaved in the same way on a live show. 'Because it was a pre-record situation, it was a little bit more loose.'

Some radio sources have suggested that not all of the series of offensive messages, aired on Brand's show, were left on Sachs's answering machine, but were recorded separately. The BBC said it could not confirm or deny this claim.

Yesterday, the corporation broadcast an extended apology on Radio 2, but refused to comment on the findings of its continuing internal inquiry. Meg Poole, Sachs's agent, was interviewed in private at length by BBC executives on Tuesday and has received no further word from the corporation. It was Poole who first played a recording of the offending show to Sachs after the broadcast and then wrote a complaint to the BBC on his behalf.

'Andrew was surprised by the length of the broadcast,' she told The Observer last week. 'He said to me he had thought they were not going to run it.'

Yesterday's Radio 2 apology said: 'On 18 October, the BBC broadcast an exchange between Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross on the Russell Brand show on Radio 2. This concerned the actor Andrew Sachs and his granddaughter, Georgina Baillie. Some of this exchange was left on the voicemail of Mr Sachs. The conversation was grossly offensive and an unacceptable intrusion into the private lives of both Mr Sachs and Ms Baillie.'

Brand argues this weekend that he had no 'malicious intent': 'It was like an evolving, rolling thing. If you listen, I say "sorry" more than I say anything offensive. The message is mostly an apology. In fact, it is the acknowledgement of how wrong it was that is the source of the comedy.'

The comedian and actor, who is to appear alongside Adam Sandler in the forthcoming Disney film Bedtime Stories, to be released on Boxing Day, and who has been cast as Johnny Depp's brother in the next Pirates of the Caribbean film, said that he accepted full responsibility for doing something 'daft'. 'What's difficult about the whole thing is that it was completely devoid of malice and there's been a retrospective application of cruelty and intention to cause offence,' he said.

Brand has resigned from the BBC, while Ross has been suspended without pay for three months.

Brand also tells the magazine he will not let the incident change his style of humour: 'I can't let it change what I do, other than when I make a programme have an editor look at all aspects of it, to see if it will offend on a personal level.'

He denies the allegation made by fellow Radio 2 presenter Paul Gambaccini that he had sacked a series of producers on the show.

In a documentary about the events, to be broadcast on Wednesday evening on Channel Five, Baillie, a burlesque dancer, will say that she regrets the impact of the incident on the careers of Brand and Ross.

[Retrieved: Sun Nov 09 2008 10:08:06 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)]

###################
So, did Andrew Sachs OK what was broadcast?
Alan Henness

Ted Harvey

#16 Post by Ted Harvey » November 9th, 2008, 9:25 pm

I can see that some people will see this affair as something of a frenzy or overblown. But that is only if you see it as something about no more than the immature and irresponsible behaviour of a couple of a certain type of English men.

I see it as neither overblown or a frenzy –rather I see it as emblematic of much that is wrong with the BBC and our sense (or non sense) of culture in Britain today.

There is the arrogant, demeaning, degrading and ultimately dehumanising ‘output’ from nay of our cultural outlets The BBC is by far and away not the worse offender on that, but what about the obscene amount of money the BBC judge fit to pay the prat Ross? Surely this has come about as part of the domination of British culture by the mad, sad, nihilist consumerism promoted by metro-London elites like the BBC?

This metro London elite thing does of course extend across the full range of British life – for example, I suspect that the unbelievable and unyielding arrogant of some disreputable and dissolute bankers in Britain just now is reflected in the behaviour in the popular media of these two, err… something that rhymes with bankers.

The arrogance and insularity of the BBC as an institution has meant that it has not fully recognised or responded to what its ‘public broadcasting’ remit actualy means in Britain today. That lack of a consensual remit, the diminished number of BBC ‘allies’ and this latest sordid affair means that the whole of the BBC has now been widely exposed to the reactionary onslaught that will now descend on it from economic and cultural flanks.

I also agree with the valiant anti-bullying-at-school-campaigners who asked why is it acceptable for a national broadcaster to give a national platform for the promotion of text and phone bullying as a ‘funny’ thing? God forbid that Ross or Brand’s children are ever on the receiving end of such ‘humour’.

It’s also worth bearing in mind some press reports on what other professionals in the popular media business have said, far example:

“Paul Gambaccini, said Ross had no place on the station, blaming him and Brand for the mess. He said: "This is what happens when you airlift television presenters into radio. There has been this crazy belief that radio broadcasting does not require years of training or special skills, that anybody famous can do it and you put them in a studio and they're going to be good. Well, they're not good. We have an awesome responsibility, and to put that responsibility in the hands of people who only consider radio to be a link in the chain for their career rather than the touchstone is very dangerous."

One other household name BBC presenter, who declined to be named, said... "The calls were not funny, they were puerile, and immensely damaging for the corporation.”

I would add that while Ross hangs onto his job in an undignified and amoral way, we must hope that the other causalities of his stupidity will find it worthwhile - Terry Wogan is quoted as having described the former Radio 2 controller Lesley Douglas as "one of the best".

Alan H

#17 Post by Alan H » November 9th, 2008, 10:16 pm

I'm not sure what being English or the BBC HQ being in London has to do with it. Surely they are who they are regardless of their nationality and the same could equally have happened if the BBC HQ was in Manchester or Glasgow? (Unless you think the English have some attribute that other don't have? Is this not just stereotyping?)

The problem arose because of a few people making bad judgements (Ross, Brand, the producer) [---][/---] either in what they said or assuming it would be cut anyway [---][/---] as well as a failure of the system for deciding what should and what should not be broadcast.

If we can believe what Brand has said today, then it looks like Sachs knew what was being broadcast and had agreed to it being broadcast if they 'toned it down a bit'. Now, we can say that Brand is lying in his account, but, other than that we might wonder why it's taken him to now to say that, what evidence have we that this is some kind of face-saving lie?

If Sachs knew what was to be broadcast and had agreed to it (he may well have already known Brand had fucked his Grand Daughter, so this may not have been shocking), then all we're left with is some people being affronted by the broadcast on Sach's behalf.
Alan Henness