INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

I finished it!!!! (warning: spoilers)

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Moose

I finished it!!!! (warning: spoilers)

#1 Post by Moose » July 22nd, 2007, 11:56 am

Oh that was great :D. The best of the whole lot I think. Was glad that Snape turned out to be good after all .. shame he and Harry did not reconcile whilst he was alive tho.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain
Time to die

EF

para handy

#2 Post by para handy » July 22nd, 2007, 12:05 pm

Well done! How did it take you?

Moose

#3 Post by Moose » July 22nd, 2007, 4:42 pm

Do you mean how long? I bought it at midnight and finished about ten last night. Was deliberately trying to savour it as long as poss tho. Also had a family crisis yesterday which slowed me down.
Time to die

EF

para handy

#4 Post by para handy » July 22nd, 2007, 8:56 pm

Oops, yes, I did mean how long. Where did you get your copy? Were you one of those people who queued for hours in fancy dress? It looked like great fun and I almost wished I was part of it. It was history in the making.

Do you have a sense of loss now that it's over and there aren't going to be any more?

Do you need counselling?

:wink:

Moose

#5 Post by Moose » July 22nd, 2007, 10:15 pm

Tesco :) I took my eight year old nephew to the midnight release. There was only one person in costume but there was a respectable number of people there by mightnight.

I don't need counselling right now but perhaps we should do it anyway, prophylactically?
Time to die

EF

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#6 Post by Maria Mac » July 22nd, 2007, 10:47 pm

prophylactically? A prophylactic is a condom, isn't it? What exactly is being suggested here?

:puzzled:

Titanium Wheels

#7 Post by Titanium Wheels » July 23rd, 2007, 8:42 am

Doesn't prophylactic come from Greek and the word for a guard? Medically it refers to a treatment carried out to prevent something later. Thus an antibiotic before surgery to prevent an infection developing later. A condom also is used to prevent something happening later; a pregnancy.
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

Beki

#8 Post by Beki » July 23rd, 2007, 10:30 am

I'm with you Moose. 2 books delivered by 10am Saturday. Very quiet day in my house as mother and teenage son vied with each other to be the first to finish. (I won because he had to go to band practice in the afternoon - hee hee).

Glad that Dumbledore was right about Snape all along and that Neville came out so well in the end. Still to see the Order of the Phoenix film though - might try and do that this week sometime.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#9 Post by Maria Mac » July 23rd, 2007, 12:04 pm

Titanium Wheels wrote:Doesn't prophylactic come from Greek and the word for a guard?
Yep - guard or protect. Prophylaktiko (προφυλακτικό) is actually the modern Greek word for a condom.
Medically it refers to a treatment carried out to prevent something later. Thus an antibiotic before surgery to prevent an infection developing later. A condom also is used to prevent something happening later; a pregnancy.
Ah, that makes sense. Moose is suggesting preventative counselling before withdrawal symptoms kick in, is that right?

Nick

#10 Post by Nick » July 23rd, 2007, 1:48 pm

Maria wrote: Prophylaktiko (προφυλακτικό) is actually the modern Greek word for a condom.
*scribbles it down in the vain hope that he may need this information in future*

Thanks, Maria!

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#11 Post by Maria Mac » July 23rd, 2007, 2:05 pm

:hilarity:

You're welcome.

*Gleefully imagines likely reception to Nick trying out his Greek vocabulary*

Titanium Wheels

#12 Post by Titanium Wheels » July 23rd, 2007, 2:16 pm

Heh! how did you get Greek letters into the forum? I could have put thme in my post!
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

Nick

#13 Post by Nick » July 23rd, 2007, 4:43 pm

Maria wrote::hilarity:
*Gleefully imagines likely reception to Nick trying out his Greek vocabulary*
I was planning to rely on devastating looks and sheer animal magnetism. The writing is just for the chemist! :grin:

Hmmm

*dawns on him that his plan might not be foolproof *:sad:

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#14 Post by Maria Mac » July 24th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Titanium Wheels wrote:Heh! how did you get Greek letters into the forum? I could have put thme in my post!
I cheated and just cut and paste the word from a Greek website. It wasn't hard to find.

Moose

#15 Post by Moose » July 26th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Heh sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. Yeah, it means - in the non condom sense - to prevent something from happening, generally a negative thing.

I am quite impressed with myself for apparently spelling it correctly, actually.
Time to die

EF

Felicia

#16 Post by Felicia » August 5th, 2007, 9:22 am

BUT - to get back to HP..... (WARNING: READ NO FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE END)

Don't you think Harry's (undoubtedly moving) resurrection pushes buttons just like Aslan in the Narnia books, Christ in the Bible and Gandalf in LOTR? (There're probably others.) It doesn't feel like a cheap trick but connects to comments in another thread, that actual death is just too hard to take. Though I think JK Rowling would have had a war on her hands if she'd killed off Harry finally and for all.

God
Banned

#17 Post by God » August 5th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Titanium Wheels wrote:Heh! how did you get Greek letters into the forum? I could have put thme in my post!
What are these? Are they Greek?

ξϖϋϒДΨϠ

Hope I haven't said anything rude. Actually, I think it's something like ygsjl@iu.

Anyway, Wheels, I used a thing called Character Map that comes with XP. Or is it with Office? Not sure.

PS: I have never read a single word of HP. Nor have I seen any of the movies. Mrs G has, though. And the girls. Did see a clip once of Robbie Coltrane in some kind of fancy dress involving a fur coat. Talking to a kid with specs. I assumed it was a trailer for Cracker.

Fred

#18 Post by Fred » August 9th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Felicia wrote:BUT - to get back to HP..... (WARNING: READ NO FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE END)

Don't you think Harry's (undoubtedly moving) resurrection pushes buttons just like Aslan in the Narnia books, Christ in the Bible and Gandalf in LOTR? (There're probably others.) It doesn't feel like a cheap trick but connects to comments in another thread, that actual death is just too hard to take. Though I think JK Rowling would have had a war on her hands if she'd killed off Harry finally and for all.
This is exactly how I felt. The dénouement was very weak IMHO; it was an opportunity missed. TBH, I stopped enjoying HP books around no 4. From the Goblet of Fire on, I felt they were getting a bit rectally recursive (up their own ar$e) for kids' books. Trouble is, I still felt I HAD to read them. How's that for marketing!
Fred

Compassionist

#19 Post by Compassionist » August 9th, 2007, 3:36 pm

I have read all 7 and found the 7th to be the best. I didn't buy any of them. Borrowed them from the local library!

I didn't like the 19-year-afterwards bit which felt tacked on. Also, I think it would have been even better to bite the bullet of death and have both the Dark Lord and Harry dead. Also, all that reference to the immortal soul and going on to the afterlife was trite.