INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The original book thread

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Titanium Wheels

#21 Post by Titanium Wheels » July 24th, 2007, 11:34 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Oh dear, Bryn, I lioved through that period! I must be getting old.

I have just moved on the Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier but only just started.

I am keenly awaiting the next Inspector Rebus book by Ian Rankin. It came out last year in hard back but waiting for it in paperback. Should be here any day .
Wheelchair-Rollin' Househusband

Curtains

#22 Post by Curtains » August 2nd, 2007, 12:25 pm

I've just finished the Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I loved it!

ThinkHumanism
Site Admin

test

#23 Post by ThinkHumanism » August 5th, 2007, 8:04 pm

test
This post was probably brought to you by Maria, unless it was Alan.

Alan H

#24 Post by Alan H » August 5th, 2007, 10:30 pm

test

ThinkHumanism
Site Admin

#25 Post by ThinkHumanism » August 6th, 2007, 12:10 pm

ThinkHumanism
Site Admin

#26 Post by ThinkHumanism » August 12th, 2007, 4:16 pm

ThinkHumanism
Site Admin

#27 Post by ThinkHumanism » August 16th, 2007, 11:47 am

test

ThinkHumanism
Site Admin

#28 Post by ThinkHumanism » August 16th, 2007, 11:51 am

test

Lucretius

#29 Post by Lucretius » August 20th, 2007, 11:13 pm

I am currently reading

COSMOS by Carl Sagan
The Man Who Mistook his wife for a hat by Oliver Sachs
Count Zero by William Gibson
Hyperspace by Michio Kaku

I enjoyed God is Not Great By Christopher Hitchens.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Mencken

Felicia

#30 Post by Felicia » August 21st, 2007, 9:15 pm

I've just finished Last Among Sequals by Jasper fforde - I'm completely addicted to these wonderfully funny books set in a world where literature is real (if anyone's interested, the first in the series is The Eyre Affair = read jane Eyre first, if you haven't already and can be bothered - its worth it.)

para handy

#31 Post by para handy » August 23rd, 2007, 8:35 pm

I've nearly finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. It's a remarkable book that comes in two editions - one for adults and one for children. The book is written in the first person of a young lad with autism - the short, simplistic sentences took some getting used to - but it's well worth it.

Felicia

#32 Post by Felicia » August 23rd, 2007, 8:53 pm

I work with children with Aspergers and autism and it seems to me that Haddon's book is wonderfully accurate - there's terror at the bottom of it, an absolute black hole of panic when faced with ordinary human dilemnas. I think the hero's journey in the London underground is just as frightening - if not more so - as Frodo's journey to Mordor. A wonderful portrayal.

I've just started Alentjo Blue by Monica Ali. Not sure yet.

DougS

Re: The original book thread

#33 Post by DougS » August 26th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Maria wrote: I am currently enjoying 'Carry me down' by M J Hyland, about a young Irish boy who discovers he has gift for being able to tell when people are lying - a gift that proves to be a mixed blessing.
I've just finished this one - found it unputdownable.

Alan C.

#34 Post by Alan C. » August 27th, 2007, 10:23 am

I'm just starting "A short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.
I've only read the 8 page introduction, but I think it's going to be a book you can't put down.
The bad news is that atoms are fickle and their time of devotion is fleeting- fleeting indeed. Even a long human life adds up to only about 650,000 hours. And when that modest milestone flashes into view, or at some other point thereabouts, for reasons unknown your atoms will close you down, then silently disassemble and go off to be other things. And that's it for you.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Nick

#35 Post by Nick » August 27th, 2007, 10:33 am

It is indeed a great book, Alan. Fun to read and very informative. For some reason, I particularly like the fact that so many advances seem to have been made by loons. And often British loons at that.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: The original book thread

#36 Post by Maria Mac » August 27th, 2007, 9:02 pm

DougS wrote:
Maria wrote: I am currently enjoying 'Carry me down' by M J Hyland, about a young Irish boy who discovers he has gift for being able to tell when people are lying - a gift that proves to be a mixed blessing.
I've just finished this one - found it unputdownable.
Really? I actually found it too painful to read in places. After the family go to Dublin it just seemed to be unmitigated misery and I actually skipped a chunk. I didn't abandon it all together because I wanted to find out what happened in the end but I found the ending unsatisfying.

In spite the lovely dialogue that drew me in at the beginning, I wouldn't recommend this book. I haven't read any novels since because I'm concentrating on a course I'm doing but the next one on my list is Swimming to Ithaca by Simon Mawer. If anyone's read this and thinks it's rubbish, please let me know.

Lifelinking

#37 Post by Lifelinking » August 27th, 2007, 9:11 pm

Howard Gardner's 'Five Minds for the Future' is my present bedside read. I saw him speak in Glasgow last year and eventually got round to getting the book.

L
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

tubataxidriver

#38 Post by tubataxidriver » August 27th, 2007, 10:48 pm

I'm half-way through Robinson Crusoe at the moment. It was on my daughter's school's summer reading list, and Penguin sell it for only £2, so I bought it for her. "You can't expect me to read that!", she said.

It's not bad, once you get used to the old style of writing. Apart from the religious conversion a third of the way in.

Lucretius

#39 Post by Lucretius » September 10th, 2007, 9:44 pm

Now reading "Why Darwin Matters" By Michael Shermer.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Mencken

smof

#40 Post by smof » September 11th, 2007, 2:39 am

I love book threads :D Currently reading:

'The Upright Ape' by Dr. Aaron Filler - comprising his ideas on evolution theory and his belief that apes and humans both evolved from an ancestor who walked upright like modern humans

'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman - about Armageddon; demons, angels, the antichrist, witches and the four horseman of the apocalypse who actually ride motorbikes

smellincoffee

#41 Post by smellincoffee » September 13th, 2007, 2:47 pm

I'm reading The River Out of Eden by Richard Dawkins, Infidel[ by Ali Ayaan Mirsi, and Only Yesterday: An Informal History of the 1920s by F. L. Allen.
"I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart."- Anne Frank