INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

But is it art?

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Alan H

Re: But is it art?

#121 Post by Alan H » March 9th, 2013, 12:37 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Read the introduction, then watch the video.

Marina Abramovic and Ulay
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#122 Post by Dave B » March 9th, 2013, 9:31 am

I think its called love.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#123 Post by Dave B » April 26th, 2013, 8:48 pm

"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#124 Post by Alan H » May 3rd, 2013, 10:43 am

Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#125 Post by getreal » May 4th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Alan H wrote:
No It's mechanics.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#126 Post by Alan H » May 4th, 2013, 11:31 pm

getreal wrote:
Alan H wrote:
No It's mechanics.
Quite. And skill. But it is still amazing!
Alan Henness

getreal

#127 Post by getreal » May 4th, 2013, 11:34 pm

I died of boredom
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#128 Post by Alan H » May 4th, 2013, 11:44 pm

getreal wrote:I died of boredom
I understand, but I hope you skipped to the end?
Alan Henness

getreal

#129 Post by getreal » May 4th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Yes I did. Unfortunatly, it didn't meet my expectations. David Bowie didn't appear at all. Very disappointing indeed.

Alan H

#130 Post by Alan H » May 5th, 2013, 12:08 am

:pointlaugh:
Alan Henness

Dave B

#131 Post by Dave B » May 5th, 2013, 9:32 am

getreal wrote:Yes I did. Unfortunatly, it didn't meet my expectations. David Bowie didn't appear at all. Very disappointing indeed.
getreal, 'mornin, you seem to have acquired what looks like an advertising link on the word "amazed", was this intentional or has someone "got at" this site?
Me, 2015

Alan H

#132 Post by Alan H » May 5th, 2013, 9:46 am

Dave B wrote:
getreal wrote:Yes I did. Unfortunatly, it didn't meet my expectations. David Bowie didn't appear at all. Very disappointing indeed.
getreal, 'mornin, you seem to have acquired what looks like an advertising link on the word "amazed", was this intentional or has someone "got at" this site?
Neither - it's your browser! Usually some browser toolbar or something. Have you installed or updated something recently? Is there just the one link?
Alan Henness

Dave B

#133 Post by Dave B » May 5th, 2013, 10:11 am

Yes! bloody IE9! I downloaded it to try to work something out for a friend and kept getting nag screens to download other stuff. I did wonder is it was part of the same problem.

Have just restored my system to a restore point in the early am (when Windows did an update) before I downloaded IE.

Not IE's fault, just have to be more careful which sites I get such stuff from. Have also sent the site an email saying that such behaviour absolutely guarantees my never using their site again! Won't do much good, just vents my spleen a little!

Must remember to set a recovery point before all future downloads!

Should have added that the link has now disappeared, a good sign!
Me, 2015

Alan H

#134 Post by Alan H » August 3rd, 2013, 10:24 am

You did want to see giraffes diving off the 5m80 diving board into a swimming pool, didn't you?

Alan Henness

Fia

#135 Post by Fia » August 4th, 2013, 5:54 pm

I wasnae sure, but yes, I did want to see that. Thank you :D

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#136 Post by Maria Mac » August 4th, 2013, 6:35 pm

I have to wonder what they were on when they thought that one up. :shock:

Dave B

#137 Post by Dave B » August 4th, 2013, 9:37 pm

I wonder how many man days of programming it took.

And why they bothered.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#138 Post by Alan H » August 4th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Dave B wrote:I wonder how many man days of programming it took.

And why they bothered.
Philistine!

I think it shows just how close to realism computer graphics are. I've seen other examples (and some of the TV ads for computer games) - it can be difficult to tell.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#139 Post by Dave B » August 5th, 2013, 9:31 am

Alan H wrote:[Philistine!
:laughter:
Alan H wrote:I think it shows just how close to realism computer graphics are. I've seen other examples (and some of the TV ads for computer games) - it can be difficult to tell.
Agreed, but is that always a good thing? I don't consider it art, just another form of graphic engineering. I have a neighbour who can make airbrush images that are photographic in their quality, but it is a "mechanical" process. He is not an artist and admits it, he is a graphics technician. He cannot create anything, he merely copies what is, maybe enhancing it if given instruction and told what is needed. This, to my mind, is the same, the only "creative" part of it is the concept of the giraffes high diving, but that is not art.

I have come to dislike science fiction films that are mainly a vehicle for the "skill of the graphics technicians, they did not improve "Total Recall" one little bit as a story in the remake in my mind.

When this becomes a common political tool (if it is not already, how often do we hear the phrase, "This footage has not been verified"?) no image, still or moving, will be trustworthy. The better they make it the less we will trust it.

The "dark side" of technical art?
Me, 2015

Alan H

#140 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2013, 11:09 am

Alan Henness

Dave B

#141 Post by Dave B » September 28th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Seeing the numbers is bad enough but seeing just what those fallen soldiers would look like (though not with the gore, the smell and the noise of the real thing) brings it right home.

I think it is art, ephemeral maybe but it has a message, makes one think and, no doubt, invokes comment.
Me, 2015