INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

But is it art?

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Alan H

Re: But is it art?

#181 Post by Alan H » September 26th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#182 Post by Dave B » September 26th, 2015, 1:34 pm

It's, um, different...
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#183 Post by Tetenterre » October 6th, 2015, 7:33 am

From http://www.choishine.com/Projects/giants.html
IcelandPylons.png
IcelandPylons.png (380.75 KiB) Viewed 9814 times
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

lewist

#184 Post by lewist » October 6th, 2015, 8:00 am

They have just replaced the 1950s pylons here with mega structures in the same industrial style. There was a long campaign against them but they're here. I like these with a bit of imagination, though they might not have gone down well here.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Dave B

#185 Post by Dave B » October 6th, 2015, 10:43 am

I would like to know whether the designers have figured all the weather factors pylons are subject to into their designs. Takes a good standard design to stand up to storm force winds plus rain or snow.

I dislike pylons but not sure if giants preferable.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#186 Post by Alan H » October 6th, 2015, 10:48 am

Dave B wrote:I would like to know whether the designers have figured all the weather factors pylons are subject to into their designs. Takes a good standard design to stand up to storm force winds plus rain or snow.
They will have to meet strict standards, so I'd assume they were.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#187 Post by Dave B » October 6th, 2015, 12:01 pm

I admit that I only scanned the text, are these actually in use or an artist's impression?

Computer simulation and design are well up now but I was trying to envisage the windage on the figures from all directions plus the windage on the cables. The latter may not be balanced if one cable leg is shielded by geography. The figures taking a step may allow for that, providing they can also take the side loads on "bends" in the run...

Square pylons are inherrently stable with wind from any direction.

Later: duh! :headbang: first para implies they have been erected! Be interesting to see if they went through any load testing, remember seeing film of destruction tests on standard pylon, ikpressive.

Pylons currently ruin the best panoramic view of Gloucester, but geology there suitable for installing underground cables when life of pylons reached.
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#188 Post by Tetenterre » October 7th, 2015, 10:51 am

If I was in charge, each pylon would incorporate a helical Darrieus turbine. Two birds, one stone.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#189 Post by Alan H » October 30th, 2016, 12:47 am

Alan Henness