Once again, The Washington Post has published the winning submissions to its yearly contest, in which readers are asked to supply alternate meanings for common words. The winners are:
1. Coffee (n. ): The person upon whom one coughs.
2. Flabbergasted (adj. ): Appalled over how much weight you have gained.
3. Abdicate (v. ): To give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.
4. Esplanade (v. ): To attempt an explanation while drunk.
5. Willy-nilly (adj. ): Impotent.
6. Negligent (adj. ): A condition in which you absent-mindedly answer the door in your night-gown.
7. Lymph (v. ): To walk with a lisp.
8. Gargoyle (n. ): Olive-flavoured mouthwash.
9. Flatulence (n. ): Emergency vehicle that picks you up after you are run over by a steamroller.
10. Balderdash (n. ): A rapidly receding hairline.
11. Testicle (n. ): A humorous question on an exam.
12. Rectitude (n. ): The formal, dignified bearing adopted by proctologists.
13. Pokemon (n. ): A Rastafarian proctologist.
14. Oyster (n. ): A person who sprinkles his conversation with Yiddishisms.
15. Frisbeetarianism (n. ) The belief that, when you die, your soul flies up onto the roof and gets stuck there.
16. Circumvent (n. ): An opening in the front of boxer shorts worn by Jewish men.
And, The Washington Post's "Style Invitational" asked readers to take any word from the dictionary, alter it by adding, subtracting or changing one letter, and supply a new definition. Here are some of the classic winners:
1. Bozone (n. ): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.
2. Cashtration (n. ): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period.
3. Giraffiti (n. ): Vandalism spray-painted very, very high.
4. Sarchasm (n. ): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.
5. Inoculatte (v. ): To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
6. Hipatitis (n. ): Terminal coolness.
7. Osteopornosis (n. ): A degenerate disease.
8. Karmageddon (n. ): It's, like, when everybody is giving off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the earth explodes and it's, like, a serious bummer.
9. Decafalon (n. ): The gruelling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you.
10. Glibido (v. ): All talk and no action.
11. Dopeler effect (n. ): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
12. Arachnoleptic fit (n. ): The frantic dance performed just after you've accidentally walked through a spider web.
13. Beelzebug (n. ): Satan, in the form of a mosquito that gets into your bedroom at 3: 00 in the morning and cannot be cast out.
14. Caterpallor (n. ): The colour you turn after finding half a grub in the fruit you're eating.
15. Ignoranus (n. ): A person who's both stupid and an arsehole.