INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Do you ever go to church?

General socialising and light-hearted discussions take place in here.
Post Reply

On what occasions are you prepared to set foot in a church? (Apart from as a tourist!)

Wouldn't set foot in one
17
10%
Would attend only for a ceremony (specify below)
71
43%
Would attend for a ceremony, memorial service or a carol service.
49
30%
Would attend a normal service.
29
17%
 
Total votes: 166

Message
Author
Arraness
Posts: 2
Joined: April 19th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#261 Post by Arraness » April 19th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I used to be what most would consider a 'Committed Christian' but over the past five years my beliefs have waned to the point that I am now pretty much an Atheist.

It was interesting how it happened. First I lost my belief in Jesus and then, after a good while, God. I somehow assumed that they would've gone together.

Sometimes I miss the comfort, however false, that having a belief in God and all He represented used to bring.

Do you think we're programmed by nature to need a belief system?

Rick.

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#262 Post by Alan C. » April 19th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Arraness
Do you think we're programmed by nature to need a belief system?
Programmed no, indoctrinated? most likely.

If you mean a belief in the supernatural, then no I don't think so.
If the truth be known there are probably more people in the world without such a belief than there are with one. (oh I know a lot of folk say they believe, but do they?..............Really?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

User avatar
Val
Posts: 749
Joined: October 6th, 2007, 10:56 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#263 Post by Val » April 20th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Re programming for a belief, may I recommend the book Supersense by Bruce Hood
isbn 978-1-84901-030-6 Our Highland group of the HSS discussed this at our last meeting.

Johnnywas
Posts: 53
Joined: May 7th, 2010, 12:20 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#264 Post by Johnnywas » May 8th, 2010, 10:31 pm

weddings and funerals out of respect for the person inviting me.

ASHEd
Posts: 67
Joined: June 23rd, 2010, 3:55 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#265 Post by ASHEd » July 4th, 2010, 5:05 am

Specifically, you speak about churches here, of which I would not set foot in. I would neither a mosque either.
However temples (buddhist, hindu, olympian etc.), shrines (shinto etc.) I really have no objection to and rather enjoy. A synagogue wouldn't be that bad either. It's really only Christianity and Islam that bugger with my head. My favourite place of 'worship' (although it isn't really worship for me, although it is so when attributed to Pagans) is outside in the open. I think appreciating Nature is important.

User avatar
Carja
Posts: 2325
Joined: September 4th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#266 Post by Carja » September 4th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Only to attend a wedding or funeral.
Laugh often/love much;leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child,a garden patch,or a redeemed social condition;play w/enthusiasm & sing w/exultation;know even 1 life has breathed easier because you lived. This is success.B.A.Stanley

Compassionist
Posts: 3511
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#267 Post by Compassionist » September 5th, 2010, 12:20 am

:smile:

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#268 Post by animist » September 15th, 2010, 7:28 pm

I don't see any great hypocrisy or problem about going to church. I was married in church because my wife (now of 36 years and still a sincere Xian) wanted to and did not mind that I was an atheist. I feel that most Xian faiths are harmless if irritating, and that most genuinely religious people are actually quite nice. I am much more concerned with being hypocritical about being in favour of vegetarianism in principle but not completely practising it. One more reason to visit the enemy camp - it is interesting to see how they are changing and adapting to the many challenges facing them!

User avatar
loz2286
Posts: 45
Joined: September 16th, 2010, 11:51 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#269 Post by loz2286 » September 17th, 2010, 11:25 am

Occasionally...

I will attend weddings, funerals etc but will not sing, pray, kneel etc. I kneel to no one! Unfortunately as a teacher I am asked to attend harvest festivals, carol services and so on. I don't really object, except I object to the assumption by colleagues and management that I will go. No one has ever asked me if I am comfortable with it, even though I have always been clear that I am a non believer.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#270 Post by animist » September 18th, 2010, 6:15 pm

loz2286 wrote:Occasionally...

I will attend weddings, funerals etc but will not sing, pray, kneel etc. I kneel to no one! Unfortunately as a teacher I am asked to attend harvest festivals, carol services and so on. I don't really object, except I object to the assumption by colleagues and management that I will go. No one has ever asked me if I am comfortable with it, even though I have always been clear that I am a non believer.
just wondering what sort of school you teach in. The times are a' changin', as they always have been, and I would like to know the state of play re these watered-down festivals (harvest is barely Xian anyway)

User avatar
loz2286
Posts: 45
Joined: September 16th, 2010, 11:51 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#271 Post by loz2286 » September 18th, 2010, 7:49 pm

animist wrote:
loz2286 wrote:Occasionally...

I will attend weddings, funerals etc but will not sing, pray, kneel etc. I kneel to no one! Unfortunately as a teacher I am asked to attend harvest festivals, carol services and so on. I don't really object, except I object to the assumption by colleagues and management that I will go. No one has ever asked me if I am comfortable with it, even though I have always been clear that I am a non believer.
just wondering what sort of school you teach in. The times are a' changin', as they always have been, and I would like to know the state of play re these watered-down festivals (harvest is barely Xian anyway)
It's an independent school. Years ago it had a very strong Roman Catholic slant, though in recent years this has eased and no particular religious affiliation is claimed. There is a strong traditionalist aspect. While that is fine, from the point of discipline, uniform, values and so on, I'm struggling a bit with certain colleagues who are trying to force a Xian agenda. I have recently had some criticism from some parts, those who were put off by my promotion to Head of Pastoral as an open non-believer, and I do feel a little cornered. I have no problem, at present, with attending acts of worship during which I maintain a respectful silence. Recently an aged female colleague complained that, "We can hardly expect the children to sing up (the hymns) when the Head of Pastoral doesn't sing either." I was asked if I would oblige. I declined stating that, given my beliefs, it would be hypocritical were I to also sing. I reminded my colleague that JC had quite a lot to say about hypocrisy, allegedly. I added too that they would not have dared to ask the same question of a Muslim or Sikh man. It seems one is allowed to be anything you want, except a non-believer, in the eyes of some colleagues.

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#272 Post by Alan C. » September 18th, 2010, 8:18 pm

loz2286
It seems one is allowed to be anything you want, except a non-believer, in the eyes of some colleagues.
Not just in the eyes of some of your colleagues, none believers in the supernatural seem to get a bad press everywhere, do we claim persecution? No we don't; unlike some I could mention.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Fia
Posts: 5480
Joined: July 6th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#273 Post by Fia » September 18th, 2010, 8:47 pm

loz2286 wrote:my promotion to Head of Pastoral as an open non-believer
It's clearly recognised by your school that despite non-belief you have a moral outlook. Well done you, loz, that in itself speaks volumes :D
And to my mind you're doing just the right thing by going but not politely pandering. Not making a fuss, but making the point. Your religious colleagues are trying it on. Stand fast. What's really important is that you are showing the young people in your care that one can be a good person and not be religious. More power to your elbow :)

Nick
Posts: 11027
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:10 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#274 Post by Nick » September 18th, 2010, 9:09 pm

I thoroughly agree with Fia's comments.
loz2286 wrote: Recently an aged female colleague complained that, "We can hardly expect the children to sing up (the hymns) when the Head of Pastoral doesn't sing either." I was asked if I would oblige. I declined stating that, given my beliefs, it would be hypocritical were I to also sing. I reminded my colleague that JC had quite a lot to say about hypocrisy, allegedly. I added too that they would not have dared to ask the same question of a Muslim or Sikh man. It seems one is allowed to be anything you want, except a non-believer, in the eyes of some colleagues.
Perhaps the answer is not to force the kids to sing. How would your colleague respond to that?

Predictably, I expect. But maybe worth a try. You obviously have some support in high places. Do you know how much?

User avatar
loz2286
Posts: 45
Joined: September 16th, 2010, 11:51 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#275 Post by loz2286 » September 19th, 2010, 12:07 am

I am certainly standing firm.

Just occasionally however I'd like a day where someone doesn't try to convert me. They'd soon get pissed off if I arrived in school every day with evidence to dispute what they believe in. I respect their right to believe what they wish, I think they're wrong, but I wish the same respect was accorded to me. Just because I do not believe in a deity it does not mean that my "faith" is any less deeply held.

Oh well... onwards... I've ordered Hawking's new book on Amazon, when I get it I'm going to sit in the staffroom reading it.

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6522
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#276 Post by animist » September 30th, 2010, 3:35 pm

loz2286 wrote:
animist wrote:
loz2286 wrote:Occasionally...

I will attend weddings, funerals etc but will not sing, pray, kneel etc. I kneel to no one! Unfortunately as a teacher I am asked to attend harvest festivals, carol services and so on. I don't really object, except I object to the assumption by colleagues and management that I will go. No one has ever asked me if I am comfortable with it, even though I have always been clear that I am a non believer.
just wondering what sort of school you teach in. The times are a' changin', as they always have been, and I would like to know the state of play re these watered-down festivals (harvest is barely Xian anyway)
It's an independent school. Years ago it had a very strong Roman Catholic slant, though in recent years this has eased and no particular religious affiliation is claimed. There is a strong traditionalist aspect. While that is fine, from the point of discipline, uniform, values and so on, I'm struggling a bit with certain colleagues who are trying to force a Xian agenda. I have recently had some criticism from some parts, those who were put off by my promotion to Head of Pastoral as an open non-believer, and I do feel a little cornered. I have no problem, at present, with attending acts of worship during which I maintain a respectful silence. Recently an aged female colleague complained that, "We can hardly expect the children to sing up (the hymns) when the Head of Pastoral doesn't sing either." I was asked if I would oblige. I declined stating that, given my beliefs, it would be hypocritical were I to also sing. I reminded my colleague that JC had quite a lot to say about hypocrisy, allegedly. I added too that they would not have dared to ask the same question of a Muslim or Sikh man. It seems one is allowed to be anything you want, except a non-believer, in the eyes of some colleagues.
seems a very odd setup, and you haven't quite answered all I asked. I mean, how many of the songs are hymns? As you say, someone of another faith would and could not be asked to sing Xian hyms, but do you think such a peson would have been appointed anyway? It is very easy for me to say this as an outsider, but I feel that the school should get itself straight - either pastoral care and so on is genuinely non-religious or it's not, and if it is, the kids should not be singing the songs of one faith rather than another

Compassionist
Posts: 3511
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#277 Post by Compassionist » September 30th, 2010, 4:15 pm

:)

lewist
Posts: 4402
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#278 Post by lewist » September 30th, 2010, 10:54 pm

I had a member of staff in my school who was the child of a roman catholic mother and a jehovah's witness father. As a child she went to mass on Sunday morning and Kingdom hall in the afternoon. Oh, she was also a Canadian citizen because her father was Canadian. She was one of the most sensible and best balanced people I have ever known, probably despite her background.

The question is, Compassionist, will your wife go with you to meetings of Humani when you find them?
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Compassionist
Posts: 3511
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#279 Post by Compassionist » October 1st, 2010, 2:41 am

:)

tea_ismynewjesus
Posts: 60
Joined: March 21st, 2010, 4:16 pm

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#280 Post by tea_ismynewjesus » October 6th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Not sure what to answer for this one... I go to a church every other week, but for a Christian youth club kinda thing. I went there lots in my godly days and I recently started going again because there was no other way for me to see my fundie friends, who I've missed dearly.

I only go every other week so that I can stay at home and watch The Atheist Experience :thumbsup:

jamesjones950
Posts: 1832
Joined: January 6th, 2010, 9:59 am

Re: Do you ever go to church?

#281 Post by jamesjones950 » October 6th, 2010, 7:10 pm

tea_ismynewjesus wrote:Not sure what to answer for this one... I go to a church every other week, but for a Christian youth club kinda thing. I went there lots in my godly days and I recently started going again because there was no other way for me to see my fundie friends, who I've missed dearly.

I only go every other week so that I can stay at home and watch The Atheist Experience :thumbsup:
I sort of understand why you go....I think.
No, I don't, I'm being dishonest. I would find new friends and let the old ones miss you dearly.
a "New Atheist" for the last 55 years

Post Reply