INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Fine for baptist church!

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
squiffy

Fine for baptist church!

#1 Post by squiffy » November 1st, 2007, 2:45 pm

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, please move it if it is. It made me feel quite happy, for a change,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7072404.stm

Alan C.

Re: Fine for baptist church!

#2 Post by Alan C. » November 1st, 2007, 3:54 pm

squiffy wrote:Apologies if this is in the wrong place, please move it if it is. It made me feel quite happy, for a change,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7072404.stm
I just read the same story here. :grin:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Jem

#3 Post by Jem » November 1st, 2007, 4:34 pm

Great news!

:happyclappy:

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#4 Post by Maria Mac » November 1st, 2007, 5:06 pm

It couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of people. I suppose they'll appeal.

But on what grounds?

:idea:

lewist

#5 Post by lewist » November 1st, 2007, 10:52 pm

Maria wrote:It couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of people. I suppose they'll appeal.

But on what grounds?

:idea:
They claim to have a constitutional right to free speech and it is on this basis they operate as they do.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » November 1st, 2007, 11:29 pm

lewist wrote:They claim to have a constitutional right to free speech and it is on this basis they operate as they do.
That'll be the same constitution that guarantees separation of church and state? :grin:

Heurismus

#7 Post by Heurismus » February 16th, 2008, 4:24 pm

I'm so pleased. The intentional hurt caused by these morons deserves punishing but alas there are too many Americans who have similar attitudes when they see something they don't like - they slur, slander and smear freely, it seems part of the American way. I really despair sometimes at American arrogance coupled to their total lack of understanding and would you believe it, I actually feel genuinely deeply sad for them. Ho hum...
The most cogent reason for restricting the interference of government is the great evil of adding unnecessarily to its power. - J.S. Mill

wizzy

#8 Post by wizzy » February 17th, 2008, 6:37 pm

Hurrah! I think there's a huge difference between free speech for people to preach in church* that homosexuality is wrong than there is to go and picket outside funerals (or civil partnerships or any other occasion that is nothing to do with them). Also they seem incredibly foolish to me. My understanding is they do this at the funerals of all soldiers, regardless of their sexuality. Thus their provoking the families of straight people might actually make some straight people more accepting of gay people out of sympathy for the hatred experienced. (Please not I'm not suggesting it's worse to target families of straight people than gay people, just more stupid).

*And I don't really agree people should be free to preach hatred of homosexuals in a church service where children are present.

wizzy

#9 Post by wizzy » February 17th, 2008, 7:21 pm

On a different, but related topic, did anyone hear a few months ago (can't remember if it was local or national news) about the Christian foster parents who decided to stop fostering (including a boy they were currently fostering who had been with them for some time, if I remember correctly) because they were being told they would have to tell foster children it's okay to be gay and apparently tell them "how gay people date" (not sure we date any differently from anyone else really, unless "date" was a euphemism)? Anyway presumably they thought it was better for the boy who was in their care to have to be cared for elsewhere than it was for them to have to tell him homsexuality is not abhorent - even though if what they claim is true then wherever he ended up he would get told that being gay is okay.

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » February 17th, 2008, 11:56 pm

wizzy wrote:Anyway presumably they thought it was better for the boy who was in their care to have to be cared for elsewhere than it was for them to have to tell him homsexuality is not abhorent - even though if what they claim is true then wherever he ended up he would get told that being gay is okay.
I wonder if they ever thought that he might even be fostered to a [---][/---] horror of horrors [---][/---] gay couple? I suspect they were just more concerned about their own selfish and perverted morality.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?