INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Compassionist

Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

#1 Post by Compassionist » February 19th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Billions of people on Earth believe that when the die they will go to heaven. Why don't they just kill themselves and go to heaven? My brother died at the age of 8 days because the doctor made mistakes. My parents told me that my brother went to heaven to live there in happiness for ever and ever. I asked them, "Why don't we all die and join him in heaven?" They said that it was forbidden to commit suicide. Makes me think that there really isn't any heaven after death. Why bother with life before death when life after death is promised to be infinitely better?

Ken H

Re: Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

#2 Post by Ken H » February 19th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Well, there's always the chance that you'll be of the wrong religion and worship the wrong god. Then who know where you will wind up! :wink:
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Compassionist

Re: Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

#3 Post by Compassionist » February 19th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Ken H wrote:
February 19th, 2020, 5:53 pm
Well, there's always the chance that you'll be of the wrong religion and worship the wrong god. Then who know where you will wind up! :wink:
Indeed Ken. I am agnostic about the existence of heaven and hell and resurrection and reincarnation and the existence and nature of all the gods of all of the thousands of religions.

Ecclesiastes 4:1-3 New International Version (NIV)

Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun:

I saw the tears of the oppressed—
and they have no comforter;
power was on the side of their oppressors—
and they have no comforter.

And I declared that the dead,
who had already died,
are happier than the living,
who are still alive.

But better than both
is the one who has never been born,
who has not seen the evil
that is done under the sun.

Given the above verses, why do Christians have children? I would have preferred it if my parents did not have me and my brother. In fact, I think it is better for all sentient biological organisms to never be conceived into this horrific world full of suffering because then they would never suffer.