INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Religious privilege for pharmacies

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
John G

Religious privilege for pharmacies

#1 Post by John G » February 12th, 2016, 6:21 pm

The interesting things you find after surfing the web. This is a US condition that seems to be spreading to Canada.

http://www.bchumanist.ca/religious_priv ... pharmacies
Editor's note: While this article deals primarily with conscientious objections by American pharmacists, similar arguments have been and are being made today in British Columbia and across Canada. This is particularly relevant in relation to the current debate over whether to permit doctors, pharmacists and health care institutions to opt-out of providing physician-assisted dying in Canada. The BC Humanist Association has called called on policymakers to prioritize guaranteed access over giving doctors and institutions an opt-out of doing their duty.
Is it the duty of a doctor to end someone's life? I am troubled by this.
A good learner is forever walking the narrow path between blindness and hallucination. ― Pedro Domingos, The Master Algorithm

Dave B

Re: Religious privilege for pharmacies

#2 Post by Dave B » February 12th, 2016, 8:10 pm

This is one of those matters were I find myself in a bind.

Whilst being, in principle, pro-euthanasia I find jyself a but anti legislationvthat forces avperson to do sonething against their wishes.

Starting at a lower level: if a B&B is of an opinion that makes gay sex an objectionabke practice, such opinions are allowed, then I can understand them not wishing to offer a room to a gay couple in their house. I do not think it sensible but then we have jo right to stop people doing many stupid things - so long as they do not physically or psychologically endanger another.

If a doctor has devoted his or her entire career to relieving pain and saving life and has a strong opinion that taking life, under any circumstances, is immoral then they are entitled to that opinion and be able to opt out of administering drugs or making such available.

If a doctor agrees to administer a fatal dose should the pharmacist have the right to refuse to supply that drug to the doctor? One, removed, even less easy.

I think the right to refuse to commit to any direct action that results in "indirect suicide", if that is against one's beliefs, should be allowed. Those beliefs may not be of a strictly religious nature, should a Humanist doctor be legally forced to assist in a death if he or she was against it? Humanists have a right to decide either way, pro or anti euthanasia.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015