INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

What do you know about theology?

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Maria Mac
Site Admin

What do you know about theology?

#1 Post by Maria Mac » February 4th, 2016, 7:11 pm

I've received an email saying this:
I am an atheist who is creating a study (with a Christian). This study is basically a knowledge type test between Christians and atheists (exChristians, or atheists who have studied Christianity and reject it) to see who knows more about *theology* so not necessarily solely the Bible. The purpose/original claim is that atheists leave Christianity because they're not well-versed in theology.

We're doing a short pretest of 10 questions to categorize all participants equally into strong theological background or little-no theology background. Then the test will be given out.
https://surveyplanet.com/569d63985f731de84124e5ee

Dave B

Re: What do you know about theology?

#2 Post by Dave B » February 4th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Guess I don't know much about theology then!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » February 4th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Answered it, but couldn't take it seriously.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

John G

#4 Post by John G » February 4th, 2016, 8:25 pm

Interesting. When I got to the end I sort of went. 'Man do I know a lot of silly things and learn three more new one.' Getting too old. I want more interesting thing to work with. Still an interesting survey.

I hope the data is used for good. :)
A good learner is forever walking the narrow path between blindness and hallucination. ― Pedro Domingos, The Master Algorithm

liquidsteam

#5 Post by liquidsteam » February 4th, 2016, 8:32 pm

If someone wants me to believe something then it's up to them to prove it, it's not for me to disprove, so why would I want to know any more about theology - from what I saw being raised as a Christian it was a big stinking pile of BS.

Should I waste more of my life studying other people's crazy beliefs? There's over 6 billion people on the planet!

It's possible that I have misunderstood the premise of the study, but the assumption seems to be that we'd all be Christians if only we knew more about it - I see this as an extremely damaging and selfish view point.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#6 Post by Maria Mac » February 4th, 2016, 9:28 pm

liquidsteam wrote: It's possible that I have misunderstood the premise of the study, but the assumption seems to be that we'd all be Christians if only we knew more about it - I see this as an extremely damaging and selfish view point.
It's obviously an absolutely ridiculous point of view. However, as one of the co-creators is an atheist, I'm prepared to give the study the time of day to see what comes out of it. I hardly knew any of the answers myself but I know some atheists know more than xtians do. Obviously a lot of people who are now atheists were xtians once upon a time.

jaywhat

#7 Post by jaywhat » February 5th, 2016, 6:53 am

I got the email and it felt like spam so I am deleting it.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#8 Post by Maria Mac » February 5th, 2016, 11:55 am

jaywhat wrote:I got the email and it felt like spam so I am deleting it.
It's not spam. Why did it feel like it?

John G

#9 Post by John G » February 5th, 2016, 12:01 pm

I sort of had that reaction myself. I think I saw spam some were in the body. When I saw your name I just read the whole thing rather than deleting.
The following is an email sent to you by an administrator of "Think
Humanism". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you
find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following
address:
I almost did not do the survey. Sorry if I am complete missing something here.
A good learner is forever walking the narrow path between blindness and hallucination. ― Pedro Domingos, The Master Algorithm

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#10 Post by Maria Mac » February 5th, 2016, 12:05 pm

I think jaywhat is saying something different, John.

Aphra

#11 Post by Aphra » February 5th, 2016, 3:32 pm

I know it's a waste of my time.

Kept thinking about those Maureen Lipman BT adverts - "An 'ology! You get an 'ology and you're a scientist!"

Theology's a con. It attempts to validate organised religion by making it sound intellectual. Now, if more people studied the history and sociology (another 'ology) of religion, the Emperor* would be truly naked.

*Reference to the Hans Christian Anderson story.

John G

#12 Post by John G » February 5th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Oh ok I see. Slow mind on my part. I do eventually get it.

Not knowing what the study is about and having time on my hands ... Nah it the study of something irrational

How much I might know about the subject is silly and pointless. Entertaining maybe. If your bored and having nothing else to do.

Compassionist

#13 Post by Compassionist » February 5th, 2016, 10:12 pm

I did the survey. It was amusing to provide facts about fantasy.

John G

#14 Post by John G » February 6th, 2016, 12:24 am

:laughter:

Lucky me I get to do part two of the survey.
Thank you for participating. Here is part two, a longer survey, so prepare! We are looking to publish these, so please answer to the best of your knowledge: https://surveyplanet.com/569c41327ded0a752f3b5d3f
I think this is an attempt at humor. Not sure what I should prepare. Now this is a challenge to do some research. This is a very odd way to form a request. Oh how tempting what are these that will be published. The data they will collect is going to be meaningless. Not the subject but the method.Well .. the subject as well

Any idea what the study is about? This just feels odd.

That is my take on it. Anyone have any other incite?

John G

#15 Post by John G » February 6th, 2016, 2:03 am

A little more context about the survey.

I asked one of the researchers.
This is separate from what I do. I'm in psychology, but this study/survey we have created is specifically for atheists and Christians. The claim is that atheists leave Christianity because they don't understand the Bible (theology). The atheist that I'm working with says otherwise. We're also comparing it to the Pew Survey that was published a while back showing that atheists know more about religion than theists do.
I think the argument could be made that we understand the bible all to well.

Alan H

#16 Post by Alan H » February 6th, 2016, 10:26 am

John G wrote:A little more context about the survey.

I asked one of the researchers.
This is separate from what I do. I'm in psychology, but this study/survey we have created is specifically for atheists and Christians. The claim is that atheists leave Christianity because they don't understand the Bible (theology). The atheist that I'm working with says otherwise. We're also comparing it to the Pew Survey that was published a while back showing that atheists know more about religion than theists do.
ISTM that the questions asked were wrong: they weren't so much about the bible, but about how (some) xtians now interpret it to suit their beliefs.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#17 Post by Dave B » February 6th, 2016, 11:53 am

At the risk of sounding a bit "preachy" and pinching sermonising concepts...

Trouble is, as soon as people start seeking "truths" in ideas they generate loads of alternative concepts and, even worse, jargon!

So, take a set of common sense morals, developed over millennia (or even "millionnia") into an evolutionary survival function, annecdotes or fictional stories used to illustrate "what happens if" (parables), bend some of them into things to calm or cow the populace... Then write them down as if the come from some form of authority.

Interpret and re-interpret these over a couple of millennia or so until there are several versions; disagree about the versions; write books on these disagreements (full of words you invent yourself to look impressive and arcane); debate and argue about which version has the right answer...

Bingo! You have theology (and "Bible study" for the common man) springing out all over the place!

Later: says more about the nature of humankind than it does about anything else.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

John G

#18 Post by John G » February 6th, 2016, 1:11 pm

I have to start tagging stuff when I use Irony.

add or not at all.
ISTM that the questions asked were wrong: they weren't so much about the bible, but about how (some) xtians now interpret it to suit their beliefs.
We use to gut sheep and read entrails. Studying the bible for me fall into the same category. Divination.

Hmm ... well, if you gut the sheep you can, at least, tell if the herd is sick, maybe.. and you get some nice mutton for you dinner.
(I need my own irony tag. Not sure what it would look like. Maybe an ironing board with a man running.)

jaywhat

#19 Post by jaywhat » February 6th, 2016, 2:10 pm

Athena wrote:
jaywhat wrote:I got the email and it felt like spam so I am deleting it.
It's not spam. Why did it feel like it?
My mistake, Athena. It just felt like it was not addressed to me - in fact, I did not read it properly. Such is life!

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#20 Post by Maria Mac » February 6th, 2016, 2:17 pm

No worries, jaywhat. :kiss:

Interesting that you got selected John G. Did you know all or most of the answers to the pretest?