INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Grayling in the Guardian

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Bryn

Grayling in the Guardian

#1 Post by Bryn » July 11th, 2007, 6:46 pm

I don't think Alan had this one in his MediaScan so here's the link to
Grayling's latest piece A force for evil.
Everything human has its lunatic fringe, and we could dismiss those who kill for their superstitions as such if they were such. But the truth is that religion itself is the lunatic fringe of human thought, and that is why we see scores or hundreds murdered daily for sectarian reasons, infantile mobs yelling in the streets of Pakistan over a book they have not read, religious organisations tearing themselves apart because of their ancient prejudices against homosexuals (as if there were not genuine problems in the world to be exercised about), and much, much more besides that is puerile, nauseating or plain dangerous.
:thumbsup:

Alan C.

#2 Post by Alan C. » July 11th, 2007, 6:53 pm

Paul Valelly in response to Grayling's piece a force for good. Absolute crap of course, as you will see if you can force yourself to read it.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

kbell

#3 Post by kbell » July 11th, 2007, 7:12 pm

I thought the first four paragraphs were OK. Then it started to deteriorate. I haven't read it til the end yet...

Edited to add: I am talking about the response not Grayling's piece, which I thought was excellent.

gcb01

#4 Post by gcb01 » July 11th, 2007, 7:16 pm

AC's articles in the Guardian are always excellent for producing a load of tosh in response. They tend to start rationally then drivel off into woo-woo. Generally "their" god is not the same as the one AC says doesn'y exist.

Great fun.
Regards

Campbell

Lifelinking

#5 Post by Lifelinking » July 11th, 2007, 7:18 pm

he (Valelly) makes money from it,
chair of the Catholic Institute for International Relations, has worked with Cafod and Christian Aid and been an editorial adviser to the Catholic Bishops Conference of England and Wales.
therefore he has a vested interest in writing this drivel
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » July 11th, 2007, 7:53 pm

Lifelinking.
Well no surprise there they're all in it for the dosh, from the Pope down.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

animist

Re:

#7 Post by animist » August 27th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Alan C. wrote:
Lifelinking.
Well no surprise there they're all in it for the dosh, from the Pope down.
I was interested to read some of the Vallely article since he is familiar to me as a regular writer in the Indy on various topics (unless there are two people with the same name). He is obviously wrong about so-called atheists like Hitler causing more deaths than the bastards of yore, since the latter did not have the weapons of AH (Dawkins in The God Delusion makes this point).