INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Well . . That's a relief

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
petemster

Well . . That's a relief

#1 Post by petemster » September 12th, 2013, 3:03 pm

It was Billy Connolly, I think, who told the old Glasgow story about the bloke who was accosted
by a bunch of drunken thugs who demanded: "Are you a Catholic or a Protestant?"
Well aware of the possible consequences of giving the wrong answer he says: "I'm an atheist".
"Aye", came the follow-up, "but are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

Well now it seems that there is some consolation, even in the event of being battered to death,
for the athiest - at least for a Catholic atheist.
Reports are saying that the new pope has decided that even atheists can go to heaven provided they
follow their conscience. (This seems to presuppose that all people have a similar innate sense of "conscience").

It seems he first made this statement a few months ago, but it was followed by various Catholic spokesmen
issuing reinterpretations of what he "really" said.
It puts them in a difficult position because they obviously can't say that the pope made a mistake!

However, the pope has now sent a letter to La Repubblica newspaper confirming that God will forgive even a
non-believer who does good and follows their conscience.

As a "Catholic atheist" all I can say is: "Well . . that's a relief". :-))

Pete M.

Sel

Re: Well . . That's a relief

#2 Post by Sel » September 12th, 2013, 3:12 pm

The sad part is that man probably believes atheists are worried about being denied entry into heaven. Pitiful really. Or perhaps it is sheer arrogance. :wink:
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Altfish

#3 Post by Altfish » September 12th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Sel wrote:The sad part is that man probably believes atheists are worried about being denied entry into heaven. Pitiful really. Or perhaps it is sheer arrogance. :wink:

My thoughts exactly.

They just don't get the fact that the threat of hell doesn't worry us.

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » September 12th, 2013, 6:13 pm

+1 :thumbsup:
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Justme

#5 Post by Justme » September 20th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Theism is a one track mind. It's like a flash flood of ignorance. Once in you either drown or you get swept away. These people are incapable of seeing reality because they perceive the rest of the world is in the same torrent and they are intent on saving everyone.

The one thing they haven't thought of is that the shallowness of the stream. They would do much better if they stood up and simply walked out of the water.
Hate, the offspring of fear cannot exist where understanding reigns supreme

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » September 20th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Justme wrote:Theism is a one track mind. It's like a flash flood of ignorance. Once in you either drown or you get swept away. These people are incapable of seeing reality because they perceive the rest of the world is in the same torrent and they are intent on saving everyone.

The one thing they haven't thought of is that the shallowness of the stream. They would do much better if they stood up and simply walked out of the water.
"...a flash flood of arrogance..." fits as well.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Justme

#7 Post by Justme » September 21st, 2013, 12:00 am

Dave B wrote:
Justme wrote:Theism is a one track mind. It's like a flash flood of ignorance. Once in you either drown or you get swept away. These people are incapable of seeing reality because they perceive the rest of the world is in the same torrent and they are intent on saving everyone.

"...a flash flood of arrogance..." fits as well.

I don't know. I think you have to look at their focus. Arrogance, to me exalts oneself and ignorance epitomizes lack of knowledge.

Theists give the everything over to a so-called divine being, through faith in a book. They displace reality for a concept that has no verifiable presence for a chance at life beyond death. I think that's a close definition of embracing ignorance.
Hate, the offspring of fear cannot exist where understanding reigns supreme

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » September 21st, 2013, 9:29 am

Hmm, I think "ignorance" and "arrogance" can exist together in the same person or entity. "Ignorance" of the real world, in the form of a belief in the supernatural, does not conflict with the "arrogance" of assuming one's belief is the only true one available. In this I use "arrogance" as holding to something because it is your belief and superior to all others (or none), refusing all rational evidence to the contrary.
Me, 2015