INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Evangeliser targets Oxfam shop

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Skyfrog

Evangeliser targets Oxfam shop

#1 Post by Skyfrog » October 11th, 2011, 6:32 pm

This afternoon I was working in my local Oxfam Books & Music store when an intense-looking woman came in and started brandishing a pamphlet at one of my colleagues. This colleague of mine is partially deaf and (without meaning to sound cruel) a little bit "backward" in some respects, so I was concerned enough to edge closer, just to make sure everything was okay. After getting her to accept the pamphlet, she then turned to my male colleague, who gave her short shrift. Then she left the shop (or so I thought). I asked my female colleague whether she was okay, and she said she was fine and that she planned to put the pamphlet in the bin. "Ah well, good for you!" I chuckled.

Next...horror...I realise the proselytiser is hiding behind the door of the shop, and has been listening to the conversation. She makes eye contact with me and strides boldly upto me with her pamphlet, imploring me to accept it and "learn about the Kingdom of God" and "receive God's forgiveness". I accept the pamphlet and try to cut short the conversation, but she goes on, lecturing me that "God's word is in these pages" and warning me to "be careful with this, this is God's word, don't do anything to it, look after it". I nod my head. Then she asks me what we do with bibles we can't sell, and says she hopes we don't chuck them away because God's word is inside those as well and we must treat them with respect. "We do our best", I mumble (a white lie - that afternoon I'd thrown away quite a few manky old bibles). Eventually she leaves and I breathe a sigh of relief.

My male colleague now wants us to put a sign up on the door reading "No Christians" but I had to veto that suggestion. These situations can be quite tricky and uncomfortable, though. How should we deal with them?

Dave B

Re: Evangeliser targets Oxfam shop

#2 Post by Dave B » October 11th, 2011, 7:24 pm

They are everywhere!!!

I used to work in the Gloster Oxfam and had a similar problem - had to threaten to call the police to get rid of the mad woman. A few weeks later I saw her in animated conversation with a very important looking dog-collar wearer in the grounds of the cathedral - think she was trying to convert him!

If you work in charity shops I think the assumption is made (mostly rightly) that you are a good type who thinks well towards your fellow humans and therefore fertile ground for their ideas. If you are a bloke and the proselytiser is female, or vice-versa, I think there is another quirk in the system, they rarely go for like gender victims.

The way she was carrying on I knew there was no chance of a rational, reasoned attempt at getting her off her soap-box. I also knew that telling her that I was an atheist & humanist would have only stirred her to greater efforts!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

ludite

#3 Post by ludite » October 11th, 2011, 8:47 pm

If the preacher was a jw you can write to the kingdom hall and ask them not to call again. I supose you could try that for any church if you know were they are from.

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » October 11th, 2011, 8:55 pm

I think you showed much restraint under such provocation. Under the circumstances a "No christians" sign is definatly merited.
Attachments
christians.jpg
christians.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#5 Post by Alan C. » October 11th, 2011, 8:59 pm

:pointlaugh: I'm printing that one out getreal.
In reply to Skyfrog.
Is it any wonder that none believers get angry with these folk?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » October 11th, 2011, 9:15 pm

ludite wrote:If the preacher was a jw you can write to the kingdom hall and ask them not to call again. I supose you could try that for any church if you know were they are from.
I think some of these people are freelancers, probably take a ball & chain to slow them down! This was not yer polite, "May I introduce you to Jesus . . .", this was, "You can be saved, just give up your soul to the Lord, you know you want to . . .!" type of thing.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » October 11th, 2011, 11:45 pm

I suggest you pass it up the line. Oxfam have a secular reputation to maintain and I suspect it's above your pay grade! Let someone higher up the food chain work out what to do - although I suspect this will have happened before.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

ludite

#8 Post by ludite » October 12th, 2011, 3:16 pm

This as just reminded me of an incident years ago in Kendal. I was in the tourist info office and in front of me is achap asking rather silly questions by the look on the girls face he was a regular visitor he finished by asking her to turn the lights of at home if she could as electicity was the same as the spirit and we didn't want to use more of the sprit than we needed. Thay did breed some odd bods up there.

Skyfrog

#9 Post by Skyfrog » October 12th, 2011, 3:44 pm

I have mixed feelings about these kind of evangelisers. On one level, I admire anyone who, for no material gain of their own, uses their own spare time to go out and meet people one-on-one, sharing what they believe. With political campaigners (eg. animal rights, environmentalists, anti-EU, you name it) who approach me in the streets I can usually respect them even if I do not agree with them or particularly want to spend much time with them. Some of them do become a bit intrusive, though, and religious types seem to be the worst. They are just so persistent and so in-your-face that it becomes awkward. Usually I politely accept whatever leaflet they're offering and then try to close down the conversation as quick as possible.