INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Jehovah's Witness plus genius

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Lorikeet

Jehovah's Witness plus genius

#1 Post by Lorikeet » October 2nd, 2011, 10:09 pm

Hi everyone, sorry it's been forever since I've been in here. Insert barrage of excuses here. Haven't forgotten you though.

I came across this on Twitter and it's absolute genius. Someone who actually engaged a Jehovah's Witness, and made her think without humiliating her. I know I wouldn't manage to do this! :wink: Anyway, it's a wonderful read. :)
All humans are brothers. We came from the same supernova.

Alan C.

Re: Jehovah's Witness plus genius

#2 Post by Alan C. » October 2nd, 2011, 10:22 pm

Nice Lorikeet but you (I) can quote their own bible at them till the cows come home and they will always have a pre-programed answer, out of context, mistranslation, et-al.
I wont even engage with them any more, they are beyond help.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » October 2nd, 2011, 10:41 pm

Good story to remember I think.

Be an interesting exercise to go through the bible drawing up a "Code for Living" based entirely on such things. Perhaps even better to interleave and contradict those with the "good" parts of the bible, those things that are basic tenets all could benefit from.

The other defence of the fanatic religionistas is often shouting - bit like a certain NI one time politician/minister - the louder you shout the more moral must be your message it often seems!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Lorikeet

#4 Post by Lorikeet » October 2nd, 2011, 10:57 pm

It was the cleverness of drawing her in and having her say in advance that there were no "interpretations" or cherry picking, and then reminding her about Deuteronomy, that was really smart. :D
All humans are brothers. We came from the same supernova.

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » October 2nd, 2011, 11:48 pm

Excellent Lorikeet!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Griblet

#6 Post by Griblet » October 3rd, 2011, 10:09 am

Brilliant! I wonder if I could repeat that. Probably not.
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

ludite

#7 Post by ludite » October 3rd, 2011, 12:03 pm

That was realy interesting to read. As a former jw I can tell you most jw can not think out side of the box. Most do not know the bible well only the bits that support there beliefs. When jws calls they have been to a meeting, discused what they are going to talk about, prayed and then gone forth to preach. You have been reading the paper watching the tv or something you are on the back foot when you open the door as your mind is not on the subject of the problems in the world and there impending biblical solution.If a jw calls and you want to have some fun ask them have they read crisis of conscience by Raymon Franz. If he as deen a witness for a while he may turn pale and run. Ray Franz was kicked out of the world headquarters in New York in the 80s as he disagreed with the runing of the organisation he was a bogey man still is to some despite the fact he is dead. There are a few things that you can do if you want to wind them up.