INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The issue of Exodus (and the Tenth Plague)

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
dman

The issue of Exodus (and the Tenth Plague)

#1 Post by dman » July 9th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Sorry if the title (or the purpose) of this thread is a little bit daft but...

I've always had a big problem with the Book of Exodus - and more specifically, the Tenth Plague. In fact, I am a first born child myself, and when I was very young, I wondered if I would have died if I had lived in Egypt...

After that, I started to wonder if the Bible had conflicting messages, and that's when I stopped believing in a god. I saw that the christian god had no regard for the lives of innocent women and children - being a god, he/it could have simply teleported Moses and the Isralites out of Egypt; this would have resulted in no loss of life on either side.

And that's when I thought.... if God tells Moses that he is going to send 'the angels of death' (God tells Moses that he is going to murder people, and he gives a motive ), then why does he/it make murder a crime under the Ten Commandments after carrying it out?

This, to me, proved that the Bible was written by man, as the various texts contradict each other.

Anyway, sorry for the lecture. I've often had a hard time putting my argument on Exodus towards Evangelicals - any ideas on how to make what I've said a bit less complicated?

thundril

Re: The issue of Exodus (and the Tenth Plague)

#2 Post by thundril » July 9th, 2011, 9:38 pm

The Passover is a celebration of the act known to modern international conventions as 'Collective Punishment'.
The same rules apparently didn't apply in them days.

Nick

#3 Post by Nick » July 9th, 2011, 10:05 pm

I think you put the case very well, dman, and very personally too.

I always wonder about the sacrifice of Isaac. Time to call social services, wouldn't you say?

Griblet

#4 Post by Griblet » July 10th, 2011, 7:48 pm

I've often had a hard time putting my argument on Exodus towards Evangelicals - any ideas on how to make what I've said a bit less complicated?
dman, the Bible is riddled with contradictions but I'm afraid to say that citing them never gets you far with evangelicals. They have a pat answer for every one.
And that's when I thought.... if God tells Moses that he is going to send 'the angels of death' (God tells Moses that he is going to murder people, and he gives a motive ), then why does he/it make murder a crime under the Ten Commandments after carrying it out?
I fear they'll just say that anything's OK if god does it - we have to obey different laws and may not question his purposes. In that case, how about asking them why religion has caused more wars, deaths and persecutions than anything else. They'll then say that's a perversion of the true religion. (I had an ordained minister say that to me last month.) Then you say that the 'perversion' of religion appears to be its most universal manifestation.

And on and on and on ..... You'll never win; you're wasting your breath talking reason to the irrational.
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

thundril

#5 Post by thundril » July 10th, 2011, 11:30 pm

I agree with Griblet. religion is not rational; that's the whole point of it!
You can only argue against a particular religion on emotional, aesthetic or moral grounds; none of which is entirely determined by logic.

marcospolaca

#6 Post by marcospolaca » July 26th, 2011, 2:35 pm

Yeah, the whole ten plagues thing smells of terrorism to me. I mean, killing random people to scare leaders into some political objective? What else would you call it?

Sel

#7 Post by Sel » July 26th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Hi There dman
Like you, it was the many Biblical and religious contradictions that got to me. I spent 3 of my precious teen years living in a convent boarding school. When those nuns finished with me I was an agnostic but did not come out of the closet till 3 years ago at the ripe old age of 60!

Griblet has it - you cannot present a rational argument to an evangelical christian. Trust me. I have tried and was flatly told at the end of the conversation: "Well we will have to agree to disagree but we both know where you will end up." AARGH

Enjoy the conversations here. This is an interesting bunch.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Tetenterre

#8 Post by Tetenterre » July 26th, 2011, 4:35 pm

So "shit happens" in fairy stories; nothing new here. We don't get all het up if shit happens in Grimms or Greek mythology or Egyptian mythology or.., so isn't it a tad irrational to get het up if shit happens in Abrahamic mythology?
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Griblet

#9 Post by Griblet » July 26th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Tetenterre wrote:So "shit happens" in fairy stories; nothing new here. We don't get all het up if shit happens in Grimms or Greek mythology or Egyptian mythology or.., so isn't it a tad irrational to get het up if shit happens in Abrahamic mythology?
Seems to me religion is different, in that it also makes claims about god's love and kindness and prayers being answered. It's the inconsistency between that side and the vicious stuff which was bothering dman.
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

dman

#10 Post by dman » August 2nd, 2011, 10:52 pm

Griblet wrote:
Tetenterre wrote:So "shit happens" in fairy stories; nothing new here. We don't get all het up if shit happens in Grimms or Greek mythology or Egyptian mythology or.., so isn't it a tad irrational to get het up if shit happens in Abrahamic mythology?
Seems to me religion is different, in that it also makes claims about god's love and kindness and prayers being answered. It's the inconsistency between that side and the vicious stuff which was bothering dman.
You've hit the nail on the head, Griblet. :)

For a long time, I've felt too afraid to speak my mind (with an evangelical church up the road) - I can still remember being at a primary school assembly when they had an evangelical preacher in the building (to do the morning assembly). Even now, I remember wondering whether or not to raise my hand and say 'Why does God kill people?"

marcospolaca

#11 Post by marcospolaca » August 12th, 2011, 2:11 am

The Passover is a celebration of the act known to modern international conventions as 'Collective Punishment'.
Huh? How are the plagues 'punishment'? Yaweh & co were a NGO not even related to the Egyptian government. (at least according to the story)

If the same thing were to happen here - A group of bearded middle eastern men murder random 'firstborn' people to scare our leaders into taking some political action... we would have a different term for that entirely.

thundril

#12 Post by thundril » August 12th, 2011, 11:21 am

None of the shit that happens in Grimms tales is taken seriously by political powerful, wealthy, heavily armed nation states.
The Passover tale of collective punishment is taken very seriously indeed, in at least one such.

thundril

#13 Post by thundril » August 12th, 2011, 11:32 am

marcospolaca wrote:
Huh? How are the plagues 'punishment'? Yaweh & co were a NGO not even related to the Egyptian government. (at least according to the story)
Punishment is not something practised only by recognised governments.
Punishment beatings, knee-cappings, 'necklaces' etc are often carried out by people revolting (:wink: ) against govts too.
Sometimes, such individual actions may be 'justifiable'. The random collective punishment of 'slaying the first-born of every house of Egypt' OTOH, would be regarded as a crime (in the last couple of centuries anyway) by all 'civilised' nations.
marcospolaca wrote:If the same thing were to happen here - A group of bearded middle eastern men murder random 'firstborn' people to scare our leaders into taking some political action... we would have a different term for that entirely.
Yes. Several terms to choose from: terrorism, mass murder, genocide, crimes against humanity. Take your pick amonst them. Unless the perpetrator is Jahweh himself. In which case it's supposed to be 'celebrated'.