INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Compassionist
Posts: 3527
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#1 Post by Compassionist » November 24th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - have you watched this documentary? If not, I recommend that you do. I just watched it on BBC iPlayer and was disturbed because I have already had three death threats from Islamic fanatics for leaving Islam. It seems that children are getting taught the art of carrying out Islamic punishments for crimes under the Islamic Laws. One Law for All has been campaigning for the prevention of the implementation of the Islamic Laws in the U.K. How can we prevent violence from curtailing Human Rights even more than they already have across the planet and across the past and the present continuous? I think education is the key. Sadly, education appears to be corrupted by teachings of radicalisation and sectarianism.

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#2 Post by Alan C. » November 24th, 2010, 2:26 pm

I've had no internet since Monday Compo but I intend watching tonight.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

User avatar
Alan H
Posts: 24067
Joined: July 3rd, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#3 Post by Alan H » November 24th, 2010, 2:40 pm

Compassionist wrote:It seems that children are getting taught the art of carrying out Islamic punishments for crimes under the Islamic Laws.
I saw some of the programme, but I don't think that was established at all. Perhaps Alan C could check when he watches it, but the programme did find one set of pupils using the Saudi government's curriculum books, but they did not contain (what we were told were) details of the correct Islamic method of chopping limbs off. That was in books for another year and it was rather vague talking about them. IIRC, it simply said they got hold of these books for older children, but they certainly did not say they had any evidence that those books were being used. They may well be being used, but the programme offered no evidence.

Naomi at the BHA pointed me to this document for more information, but I've not read it yet.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#4 Post by Alan C. » November 24th, 2010, 3:47 pm

The program is now on youtube for viewers out-with the UK.
Panorama: British Schools, Islamic Rules - Part 1
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#5 Post by Alan C. » November 24th, 2010, 8:24 pm

I've just watched the program, first off let me say; I cant stand the Christian apologist Jeremy Vine.
but the programme did find one set of pupils using the Saudi government's curriculum books, but they did not contain (what we were told were) details of the correct Islamic method of chopping limbs off.
The books were shown at the very start and the very end of the program Alan complete with diagrams.
That was in books for another year and it was rather vague talking about them. IIRC, it simply said they got hold of these books for older children, but they certainly did not say they had any evidence that those books were being used.
Fair enough, the kids don't get to see these books till they're 15,but there is a library full of these books for anybody that requests them (watch the program).
They may well be being used, but the programme offered no evidence.
Agreed.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

User avatar
Alan C.
Posts: 10356
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#6 Post by Alan C. » November 24th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Oh and Gove; we wont allow this, we wont allow that, plenty of platitudes but what is he going to do about it? Eh! Nowt would be my guess.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Nick
Posts: 11027
Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:10 am

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#7 Post by Nick » November 25th, 2010, 12:31 am

What gets me about education policies (Gove included) is that they talk about avoiding "religious extremism" in education. Given that there is not a shred of evidence for any religious sky-daddy, how can anyone claim that the non-extreme version is more accurate? Maybe the Supreme Being is a homicidal bastard. How can we tell?

The only logical solution is to exclude all religion from state education.

Mike
Posts: 124
Joined: December 13th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#8 Post by Mike » November 25th, 2010, 3:19 am

I found the programme a little concerning but I also found myself sceptical of some of the findings. Panorama is made by journalists and journalists do like a story don't they? That said, Islamic (and indeed Christian) extremism is a reality that we need to guard against.

My overwhelming feeling though is one of relief. Relief that I live in a secluded rural area and relief that my children are now beyond school age. Mind you, I suppose that I will have grandchildren to worry about soon enough!

Compassionist
Posts: 3527
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#9 Post by Compassionist » November 25th, 2010, 6:02 am

Alan H wrote:
Compassionist wrote:It seems that children are getting taught the art of carrying out Islamic punishments for crimes under the Islamic Laws.
I saw some of the programme, but I don't think that was established at all. Perhaps Alan C could check when he watches it, but the programme did find one set of pupils using the Saudi government's curriculum books, but they did not contain (what we were told were) details of the correct Islamic method of chopping limbs off. That was in books for another year and it was rather vague talking about them. IIRC, it simply said they got hold of these books for older children, but they certainly did not say they had any evidence that those books were being used. They may well be being used, but the programme offered no evidence.

Naomi at the BHA pointed me to this document for more information, but I've not read it yet.
Thank you for your precise response - as usual, I jumped to conclusions (like my wife and probably many others). Perhaps I am negatively biased given my personal experiences in Saudi Arabia during February and March of 2002 when I was there for six weeks with my parents to perform Hajj. I saw some awful things such as stoning and beheading and chopping off hands and never got over any of my traumatic experiences. It does appear that the books were produced by the Saudi government and the weekend schools appear to be at least storing the books, if not teaching using the books. Given that we have not attended the lessons for years we can't possibly tell for sure or can we?

Compassionist
Posts: 3527
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#10 Post by Compassionist » November 25th, 2010, 7:15 am

Mike wrote:I found the programme a little concerning but I also found myself sceptical of some of the findings. Panorama is made by journalists and journalists do like a story don't they? That said, Islamic (and indeed Christian) extremism is a reality that we need to guard against.

My overwhelming feeling though is one of relief. Relief that I live in a secluded rural area and relief that my children are now beyond school age. Mind you, I suppose that I will have grandchildren to worry about soon enough!
Yup, as Buddha said, 'Life is suffering.' As Schopenhauer said, 'To live is to suffer.' As Philip Larkin said,
Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
I better stop now. You see, I haven't been sleeping well. My wife, son, mother-in-law and I went to the Fisherwick Prebyterian Church in Belfast on the 7th of November 2010 as there was a presentation about the persecution of Christians by Muslims and Communists. The showed video clips of torture and execution e.g. five people were squashed by a steam roller and their skulls popped. I have been having recurrent nightmares of the footage ever since then. I was crying during the video clip but my mother-in-law was impervious and said that if I was not careful in this country (i.e. Northern Ireland) I would end up like them given how exemplary Christians are at loving their neighbours and enemies.

Compassionist
Posts: 3527
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: Britrish Schools Islamic Rules - Panorama documentary

#11 Post by Compassionist » November 25th, 2010, 7:21 am

Nick wrote:What gets me about education policies (Gove included) is that they talk about avoiding "religious extremism" in education. Given that there is not a shred of evidence for any religious sky-daddy, how can anyone claim that the non-extreme version is more accurate? Maybe the Supreme Being is a homicidal bastard. How can we tell?

The only logical solution is to exclude all religion from state education.
I did say that God could be either evil or imaginary given the existence of copious suffering and unfairness. Besides, out of the 10,000 faith schools in the U.K. only 160 are Islamic. Most of the faith schools are Christian and Christian faith schools can be just as full of sectarianism. Let's remember how violent the history of both Christianity and Islam is. When it comes to Holy War, the Bible and the Quran are pretty evenly matched.

Post Reply