INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

America fails religious quiz

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Ken H

America fails religious quiz

#1 Post by Ken H » September 28th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Perhaps not surprisingly, Atheists and agnostics scored the highest and Catholics scored the lowest on a Pew Forum study, according to the Washington Post.
The survey, released Tuesday, tested knowledge of what Pew calls "the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions."

Out of 32 questions, atheists and agnostics, on average, answered 21 questions correctly, making non-believers the top performers. They had higher than average scores on questions about world religions and about religion's role in public life. The more you know, the less you believe?
http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfai ... _quiz.html
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Dave B

Re: America fails religious quiz

#2 Post by Dave B » September 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm

"The more you know, the less you believe."
I might adopt that as a slogan . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#3 Post by Compassionist » September 28th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Dave B wrote:
"The more you know, the less you believe."
I might adopt that as a slogan . . .
I agree. :pointlaugh:

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » September 28th, 2010, 4:11 pm

All the Atheists over on RD.net are scoring 15 out of 15 sample questions :)
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » September 28th, 2010, 4:42 pm

I'll have to try that again, Alan, there is a lot of waiting and then a reset when I click on the link.

Edit: I extracted the URL from your post and that seemed to work.

Later edit: must be a lot of people trying the quiz, a long wait after every question!

Later still: last message says, "We are experiencing difficulties, please try later." Yup, sounds like a stuffed site to me!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » September 28th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Still doing the quiz . . .

If these are the sort of questions in the quiz that Ken mentioned I am not really surprised.

Ken, would it be offensive to say that the average American has his/her head well into the parochial sand bucket, if not a bodily orifice, in terms of his/her understanding of the world beyond the borders?
Me, 2015

Ken H

#7 Post by Ken H » September 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Dave B wrote: Ken, would it be offensive to say that the average American has his/her head well into the parochial sand bucket, if not a bodily orifice, in terms of his/her understanding of the world beyond the borders?
I don't like to generalize about any group, but we probably have a higher percentage of uninformed citizens than other countries. And, of course, these are the ones that stand out to people of other countries. Most likely this is due to the isolationist nature of the country. Remember too, our early settlers were mostly escaping religious persecution and they tended to resent the rest of the world and keep to themselves.

I see a lot of improvements in our world knowledge though, due to the internet and increasing world commerce, among other things. But there now appears to be a widening rift between the under-educated religious right and the more worldly social progressives, so it is hard to ascertain the "average American" anymore.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » September 28th, 2010, 8:10 pm

I see a lot of improvements in our world knowledge though, due to the internet and increasing world commerce, among other things. But there now appears to be a widening rift between the under-educated religious right and the more worldly social progressives, so it is hard to ascertain the "average American" anymore.
It is good that the Internet is widening the perception of some. I would guess that the more reactionary types are split into those who decry the Internet as the purveyor of sin and subversion and those who grasp it firmly to spread the word! But that goes for many countries.

Yes, the origins of your nation are a racial and cultural melting pot that still seems to be bubbling a little. Surely it was not only the religious refugees but the economic and political ones as well? I suspect there were criminals also fleeing justice. Makes for interesting times . . .

We have had a couple of thousand years to sort the kinks in our national character but globalisation and im/emigration are now in the process of putting us in a state of change as well. We cannot afford to sneer at any other country! Though we still seem to see America as possessing an arrogance that might have been justified just after the war but is now challenged all over the world. Is this making the movers and shakers reassess America's place in the changing world? No nation can afford isolationism any more.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Hey! I got 100%. Do I get saved???
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » September 28th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Alan C. wrote:All the Atheists over on RD.net are scoring 15 out of 15 sample questions :)
I should just done this one. Anyway, I got 13/15, but I misread one and got the Billy Graham one wrong. Apparently, I scored better than 93% of the public.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Ken H

#11 Post by Ken H » September 28th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Alan H sez:
Hey! I got 100%. Do I get saved???
Very good Alan. You are saved from further humiliation from your Humanist peers! :laughter:

Dave B

#12 Post by Dave B » September 29th, 2010, 10:00 am

If a person gets saved who gets the interest?
Me, 2015

Gottard

#13 Post by Gottard » September 29th, 2010, 12:06 pm

I shyly admit to have scored 73% correct (11 out of 15) :boohoo:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

grammar king

#14 Post by grammar king » September 29th, 2010, 4:57 pm

I blogged on this here.