INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Scottish Churches

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
grammar king

Scottish Churches

#1 Post by grammar king » August 15th, 2010, 11:58 am

I was reading around this morning and noticed this story in the Herald. It's crap but that's not what this thread's about. I looked up the Free Presbyterian Church thinking they were the Wee Frees but apparently they're the Wee Wee Frees, and I got a bit confused.

Having grown up near Liverpool, the only churches I'm really familiar with are the Catholic and CofE ones, can anyone explain the churches in Scotland to me? Both historically and theologically, if anyone knows.

Cheers all.

Dave B

Re: Scottish Churches

#2 Post by Dave B » August 15th, 2010, 5:03 pm

No nothing about Scottish churches, just wondering if they will enforce "and eye for an eye" and "turn the other cheek" in the courts.

This would be as bad as having Sharia.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#3 Post by Alan C. » August 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm

How would the Scottish seafood industry fare if the biblical ban on shellfish were to be enforced?” he asked.
Quite!
“Would Shetland’s knitwear industry flourish if there was a ban on garments made from two kinds of material, as required in the Bible?
Well yes! Shetland knitwear is only made from Shetland wool, you'd think Terry Sanderson would know that!

GK the wee frees are the Taliban of Christianity, they act (on Sundays) like the ultra orthodox Jews do on a Saturday (the real Sabbath according to the buy-bull)
David Robinson is typical of the breed, I had a debate with him on Richard Dawkins dot net, he couldn't show me where in the bible the Sabbath is changed from Saturday to Sunday, so he ran away instead. :smile:

I don't know much about Church of Scotland Kirks but I do know the one along the road from us attracts about 6 cars on a Sunday, whereas the charity shop next to our house attracts 30 to50 :)
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » August 15th, 2010, 9:15 pm

The music they produce is indescribably beautiful.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Lifelinking

#5 Post by Lifelinking » August 15th, 2010, 10:36 pm

There is the Church of Scotland
The Free Church of Scotland (the wee frees)
The Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland (the wee wee frees)
And the Associated Presbyterian Church

I remember years ago there was quite a stooshie when Lord Mackay of Clashfern, then Lord Chancellor and an elder of the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland, attended the funeral Masses of two close Roman Catholic friends. This was seen as a grave offence (terrible pun intended) by the Free Presbyterian Church authorities. You then had the comic farce of the highest law officer in the United Kingdom being summoned to explain himself at a church in Woodlands Road in Glasgow (I saw it for myself).

He stood up for his decision and was suspended from church office, which led to a split, with those in the wee wee frees who supported freedom of conscience in such cases (supporters of Lord Mackay) forming the breakaway Associated Presbyterian Church.

Given his background there is nothing surprising in Lord Mackay’s latest pronouncement, anachronistic nonsense though it is. It just shows how embedded these ideas still are in many areas of the establishment, and how much work there is still to do in secularising our country. Glad to see that Terry Sanderson got a few quotes in to the article.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

grammar king

#6 Post by grammar king » August 18th, 2010, 1:07 pm

Cheers LL, the differences are trivial, as usual.

IIRC the Christian Union invited David Robinson to speak at our uni, and wanted us to find someone of a similarly high profile to debate him. We replied that we didn't know anyone that ignorant.

Lifelinking

#7 Post by Lifelinking » August 18th, 2010, 7:50 pm

:pointlaugh:
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#8 Post by Alan C. » August 18th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Lifelinking wrote::pointlaugh:
:hilarity: I was going to say that Ll, but I have tried to debate the arsehole at rd.net. :redface:
Waste of time of course, he told me there is no such thing as a sane Atheist.

When it comes to debating skills David Robinson is on a par with "Dr" Nancy.

Marian

#9 Post by Marian » August 21st, 2010, 6:34 pm

Best Scottish kirk I've ever stepped foot in. This is how a Scottish Free Church should be used:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_es5NB2AypAY/TAvCS ... 010178.JPG

Called The Auld Kirk. Known as 'the restaurant with rooms'
http://www.theauldkirk.co.uk/
Transformative fire...

getreal

#10 Post by getreal » August 21st, 2010, 7:17 pm

It's actually fairly common in Scotland for defunct church building to be converted for a variety of uses.

http://www.ballyhennan.com/
http://www.churchsquare-gretna.co.uk/
http://www.highlandholidaylets.co.uk/

I've stayed in a few and they make excellent holiday accommodation for a group of friends, or a large family. Loads of room and nice features.

Is it as common in other parts for former church buildings to be used like this?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#11 Post by Alan C. » August 21st, 2010, 8:56 pm

getreal
Is it as common in other parts for former church buildings to be used like this?
For some odd reason, in the cities of England most end up as carpet warehouses :shrug:
This is our library in Lerwick, ex St Ringens Church. (no I never get tired of pointing it out) :wink:

getreal

#12 Post by getreal » August 21st, 2010, 10:20 pm

St Ringen??? Who was he? I googled it and came up with nothing. Perhaps he was a non-saint, like Christopher.

Marian

#13 Post by Marian » August 22nd, 2010, 12:16 am

getreal wrote: Is it as common in other parts for former church buildings to be used like this?
I can't think of any former churches being used for other purposes over here. I did a google search and came up with nothing. I suspect that this would be looked upon as sacriligious.
Transformative fire...

duncolm

#14 Post by duncolm » August 22nd, 2010, 11:45 am

Another popular use for old churches, since they're tall buildings, is to use them as indoor climbing centres.

I came across this disused church in New Zealand. Rather than use it for another purpose, they were looking for someone to put it on the back of a lorry and take it elsewhere
Attachments
NZ_Church.jpg
NZ_Church.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
The Big Bang Question:
If a universe pops into existence but no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Dave B

#15 Post by Dave B » August 22nd, 2010, 12:32 pm

A redundant church in Gloucester was taken over by the local Chinese community as a social centre. They had the building cleaned on the outside and "remodelled" on the inside with two floors - they must have spent a lot of money on it, the work was of high quality.

They let the ground floor it out for small conferences, art exhibitions etc. and have a tea-room that is open to all. It has been an excellent re-use of a prominent and attractive building in the city centre.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#16 Post by Alan C. » August 22nd, 2010, 5:49 pm

St Ringen???
Sorry getreal, I spelt it wrong :redface:
ST Ringan

getreal

#17 Post by getreal » August 23rd, 2010, 1:51 am

According to wikki, Ringan is a form of Ninian :D

There's a climbing centre in Glasgow in a fomer church (Glasgow Climbing Centre). I spoke with the guy who started it a few years ago and he said that because churches generally have high, uncluttered space they are easy to adapt for climbing.