INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Florida church plans to burn Korans on 9/11 anniversary

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.

Gurdur

Re: Florida church plans to burn Korans on 9/11 anniversary

#2 Post by Gurdur » July 27th, 2010, 3:24 am

Now all we need to do is convince PZ Myers it's his idea first, Pat Condell too the same, and ditto Fred Phelps, and then we could have a fine ecumenical fest.

Ken H

#3 Post by Ken H » July 27th, 2010, 3:39 am

Dove World Outreach Center, an odd name for a church that promotes hatred.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Lifelinking

#4 Post by Lifelinking » July 27th, 2010, 11:04 am

From the article:
Apparently, they got the idea from a Facebook page called "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day."
Well, no surprises there.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Fia

#5 Post by Fia » July 27th, 2010, 11:42 am

Would it not be good for these "christians" to remove the planks from their eyes first? How would they feel if their local mosque burned copies of the bible? Whatever happened to "loving thy neighbour"? :headbang:

If there is to be "holy" book burning, it would surely be better just do the whole lot of them :smile:

Compassionist

#6 Post by Compassionist » July 27th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Luke 6:27-36

[27] "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, [28] bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. [29] If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. [30] Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. [31] Do to others as you would have them do to you.

[32] "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. [33] And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. [34] And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. [35] But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. [36] Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
It is clear to me that Christians are the largest group of hypocrites on Earth. At least the Islamists are not being hypocritical. Much as I disagree with the Islamofascists, I am sad to say that at least they are not hypocrites - unlike the Christians. I suppose reading the Bible with all its hypocrisies, cruelties and errors leaves the Christians too confused to love their neighbours and their enemies. Of course, considering 1 Samuel 15 and how vindictive and sadistic the Biblical God is, it is hardly surprising that Christians want to burn the Quran.

Gurdur

#7 Post by Gurdur » July 27th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Lifelinking wrote:From the article:
Apparently, they got the idea from a Facebook page called "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day."
Well, no surprises there.
Oh, ffs, fbloodyfs. I see. Right. I am goiing to blog about this, tomorrow, and I am going to be bloody sharp.

Thanks, for pointing this out, Lifelinking. Oh, the idiots. Of course they'll deny any sort of responsibility. Oh, ffs.

Ken H

Permit denied for Quran burning

#8 Post by Ken H » August 19th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Officials in Gainesville, Florida have denied a burn permit for a church that is seeking to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100819/ap_ ... an_burning

I wonder if they will seek some other place for the book burning?
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Compassionist

#9 Post by Compassionist » August 19th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Clearly, the officials have more sense than some hateful Christians who clearly don't love their neighbours and their enemies. Hypocrisy is the defining characteristic of EVERY CHRISTIAN I have met so far. I live with one, I should do.

I am married to my enemy and love her unconditionally because loving everyone unconditionally, infinitely and eternally is what I do best. You see, my wife is a British white Christian and I am a Bangladeshi brown ex-Muslim ex-Christian Strong Agnostic Atheist Compassionist Humanist and a Life Member of the Humanist Society of Scotland since the 12th of May 2010. I will give you some examples. On the 21st of August 2008, she shouted at me and hit me for being in bed due to having low mood due to my Ultradian Rapid Cycling Cyclothymia. She even asked me to have sex with others (pleural, not singular) so that she could be free of me. To set her free, I made a third level self-sacrifice and had sex with two sex workers that day but she changed her mind about divorcing me. Although she keeps threatening to divorce me even these days. For example, on 12 of June 2010 she threatened to divorce me. On the 21st of June 2010 (my birthday) she threatened to divorce me. On the 1st of July 2010 she threatened to divorce me. On the 16th of August 2010 she said that she would not make love (have sex) with me ever again. Although, as we came to visit her parents on the 17th of August 2010 for two nights despite what she had said on the 16th of August 2010, learning from my exemplary conduct, on the 18th of August 2010 she apologised and we made love (had sex) which was perfect. Love never fails. I recommend that you love everyone unconditionally, infinitely and eternally, just as I love everyone unconditionally, infinitely and eternally. I wish everyone a fulfilling and luminous life full of love.

Gottard

#10 Post by Gottard » August 19th, 2010, 10:16 pm

Fia wrote:Would it not be good for these "christians" to remove the planks from their eyes first? How would they feel if their local mosque burned copies of the bible? Whatever happened to "loving thy neighbour"? :headbang:

If there is to be "holy" book burning, it would surely be better just do the whole lot of them :smile:
Assuming that Christians don't have a Koran on their shelf they would be supposed to buy one to be burnt; wouldn't be more sensible to burn their banknotes outright?! :sad2:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Compassionist

#11 Post by Compassionist » August 19th, 2010, 10:23 pm

:smile:

Manuel

#12 Post by Manuel » August 19th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Could have at least recycled them.

Fia

#13 Post by Fia » August 19th, 2010, 10:47 pm

:pointlaugh: Like it, Manuel, - all holy books to be composted :D
Cearly, sense and Christians don't go together!
That's kind of a given on this forum :D But then none of us talk sense all the time...
loving everyone unconditionally, infinitely and eternally is what I do best.
But, compassionist, love is a two-way street. The way you put it is like a pet - you are a (troubled, admittedly, but many of us are) human being, not an unconditional, infinate eternal being. I understand that giving is a comfortable place to be. But your pot of goodness and humanity, like everyone else's, needs to be kept topped up. Taking is important too... Have you made contact with your local mental health professionals yet?

Perhaps this off-topic bit of post should have been a PM, but there are people here who have met you, like you, care for you and are concerned for you...

Compassionist

#14 Post by Compassionist » August 24th, 2010, 4:13 am

:smile: