INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Pope thinks Belgian raids are 'deplorable'

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Lifelinking

Pope thinks Belgian raids are 'deplorable'

#1 Post by Lifelinking » June 27th, 2010, 8:50 pm

According to reports in the

New York Times

and the

BBC .

I have blogged on this here.

Thoughts?
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Dave B

Re: Pope thinks Belgian raids are 'deplorable'

#2 Post by Dave B » June 27th, 2010, 9:20 pm

It's about time that this bloke recognised that the crimes his priests are guilty of justifies all legal investigation methods - even drilling holes in the tombs of cardinals if they are suspected of being hiding places. He calls for justice, is it not about time that the RCC opens up all its records, wherever held, on this matter in the name of justice?

They have been treated no worse than any other suspect (with a corporate record of "previous") would be so. I am listening to a piece on the BBC WS about it now - and am even more confused as to whether how much the RCC intends to co-operate, there are conflicting messages coming from the Vatican it seems. But, as the correspondent has said, the RCC still seems to think that it is above the civil law and does not need to answer to civil authority, should be allowed to police its own. Yeah, look where that has got justice so far! Still stuck in the middle ages?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#3 Post by Alan C. » June 27th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Sorry Ll I can't even discuss the Vatican anymore, these people are so unevolved, I'm starting to think they are a sub species with a couple of thousand years catching up to do.

The biggest diggers up of old bones are the Catlick church, they're at it all the time.
The latest is, they want to remove "Cardinal" Newman from the grave he shares with his gay partner, how crass is that? This was in the man's last will and testemant, yet the Pope assumes he has the authority to overide it.

"Pope thinks" As in the thread title, is surely an oxymoron?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » June 28th, 2010, 1:00 am

Benedict XVI "Surprised" by Belgian Raids

Laments "Deplorable Manner" of Police Searches

VATICAN CITY, JUNE 27, 2010 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI expressed his "surprise" upon hearing of the "deplorable manner" in which a series of raids were carried out by Belgian police on several church offices of the archdiocese of Malines-Brussels in search of secret documents regarding child sexual abuse.
The Pope expressed his concern in a letter of support sent today to Archbishop André-Joseph Léonard of Malines-Brussels, and president of Belgium's episcopal conference.

The police arrived at 10:30 Thursday morning to the headquarters of the Archdiocese of Malines-Brussels, where the bishops of Belgium were meeting for their monthly meeting. The authorities detained the bishops at the headquarters for nine hours as they searched the offices and the Cathedral of Malines.

At that time they drilled holes in the two graves of cardinals Jozef Ernest Van Roey and Leon Joseph Suenens, deceased archbishops of Malines-Brussels, located in the crypt of the cathedral, and then sent cameras down in search of hidden documents.

In addition to the headquarters of the archbishopric of Brussels, the authorities seized some 500 confidential files In Leuven, Belgium, from the office of Peter Adriaensses, president of the commission for the treatment of sexual abuses. The home of former archbishop of Malines-Brussels, Cardinal Godfried Danneels, was also searched.

"In this sad moment," the Pontiff wrote, "I would like to express my particular nearness and solidarity with you, dear brother in the episcopate, and with all the bishops of the Church in Belgium, in the wake of the surprising and deplorable manner in which the searches were carried out in the Cathedral of Malines and the place where the Belgian episcopate was gathered in a plenary session that, among other things, was also to have treated matters connected with the abuse of minors by members of the clergy."

Benedict XVI underlined the need for both Church and civil authorities to deal with the sexual abuse crisis, but added that it should be done "with respect to their reciprocal specificity and autonomy."

"In this sense I desire that justice take its course," he concluded, "with a guarantee for the fundamental rights of persons and institutions, in respect to the victims, in recognition without prejudice of those who are committed to cooperate with it and in the rejection of all that casts a shadow on the noble work assigned to it."
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » June 28th, 2010, 9:40 am

"with respect to their reciprocal specificity and autonomy."
Why should any church have autonomy in matters concerning crimes committed against common law?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

ludite

#6 Post by ludite » June 28th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Religion is about power, be it over the life of its members or in death, they basicaly teach that any hope after death depends on adhereing to there particular doctrine.The catholic church can see its power and influence waining.This raid in belgummust have them wetting there collective nickers not just over what may or may not have been found but that the raid could actually take place at all.

jaywhat

#7 Post by jaywhat » June 28th, 2010, 2:27 pm

bollix

Lifelinking

#8 Post by Lifelinking » June 28th, 2010, 8:50 pm

bollix to what J?
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

getreal

#9 Post by getreal » June 28th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Sorry, I don't know how to embed this (at least, I think that's what it's called).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXwLv4KY ... re=related
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Gottard

#10 Post by Gottard » June 28th, 2010, 10:08 pm

I am amazed ...well gutted at what I heard on the TV-news yesterday: Vatican Declaration "we are ready to cooperate with the Belgian Authorities within the frame of the concordat"
They still think to be deity' slivers.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Lifelinking

#11 Post by Lifelinking » June 28th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Love that Tim Minchin vid Getreal
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#12 Post by Alan C. » June 28th, 2010, 11:45 pm

There are suspected pedophile clergy in just about every country in the world, why is it that the relatively tiny police force in Belgium are the only ones that seem to be taking any action?
Why aren't the police in Ireland, America, germany et al, doing anything?

If a child rapist is known to/reported to the police and they do nothing, what can/or should we do?
Why are they allowed to get away with it?

Why is "Cardinal" Bernard Francis Law allowed to take refuge in the vatican, if he was a terrorism suspect the US would have him, don't the U S authorities rate child rape as a serious crime?

Why is pope benny ( the leader of this criminal organisation) even being allowed into this country, let alone at our expence?

Grrrrrrrr! I'm not happy.

Mike

#13 Post by Mike » June 29th, 2010, 8:07 am

I don't even know where to start with this topic. This whole sordid little episode is almost beyond belief. Who the sodding hell does the Pope think that he is? Does he really believe that he is "Gods" representative on earth. I mean does he REALLY believe that? Does he really believe that he has the right to interfere with the actions of the Police in ANY country - let alone one he does not reside in? Does he really believe that the best way to deal with this disgraceful episode is to try and sweep it under the carpet? And finally, does he honestly, honestly believe that it is ok for perverted old men to rob the young of their childhoods? The man (excuse language) is a complete bastard. I just wish that there really was a hell so that he could bloody well rot in it.

jaywhat

#14 Post by jaywhat » June 29th, 2010, 9:46 am

Lifelinking wrote:bollix to what J?
the pope and the vatican
it must be embarrassing to be a roman catholic
I have a good RC friend and I dare not ask him

Lifelinking

#15 Post by Lifelinking » June 29th, 2010, 12:54 pm

I thought that was it.. :D
William McIlvanney

grammar king

#16 Post by grammar king » June 29th, 2010, 5:51 pm

I think it must be. My parents and I don't talk about this but certainly when I've put things about the abuse scandal on facebook I've got comments from Catholic friends making pathetic excuses like "it's not just the Catholic Church who have a paedophilia problem!" I usually reply that it is the Catholic Church that peers into people's bedrooms claiming to be a moral authority, but it's obvious that they're just clutching at straws.

Alan C.

#17 Post by Alan C. » June 29th, 2010, 6:29 pm

grammar King
I've got comments from Catholic friends making pathetic excuses like "it's not just the Catholic Church who have a paedophilia problem!"
I'm sick to death of hearing that, nobody is saying it's restricted to the Catholic Church, what is restricted to the Catholic Church is the cover ups on a grand and global scale, why can't folk get that?
A scoutmaster, school teacher, or anybody else with easy access to children, if thought to be abusing children, would be reported to the police post haste.

Gottard

#18 Post by Gottard » June 29th, 2010, 8:04 pm

getreal wrote:Sorry, I don't know how to embed this (at least, I think that's what it's called).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXwLv4KY ... re=related
Not allowed to see this trail from Italy....which tells a lot!
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

getreal

#19 Post by getreal » June 29th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Would this get through?
http://angry-feet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 36&start=0

I have no idea how the internet works, but it's worth a try!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

grammar king

#20 Post by grammar king » June 29th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Alan C. wrote:
grammar King
I've got comments from Catholic friends making pathetic excuses like "it's not just the Catholic Church who have a paedophilia problem!"
I'm sick to death of hearing that, nobody is saying it's restricted to the Catholic Church, what is restricted to the Catholic Church is the cover ups on a grand and global scale, why can't folk get that?
A scoutmaster, school teacher, or anybody else with easy access to children, if thought to be abusing children, would be reported to the police post haste.
Indeed, I wrote a fairly long post on why the Catholics are more than fair game, which you can find here.