INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Biblical Contradictions (New Testament)

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Compassionist

Biblical Contradictions (New Testament)

#1 Post by Compassionist » April 15th, 2010, 8:03 pm

Could you please explain the following major contradiction in the Bible between the verses in bold and the verses in italic:

"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'

But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.

Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two.

Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'

But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?

Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matthew 5:38-48 NASB)

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it." (Matthew 10:34-39 NASB)

"I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled! But I have a baptism* to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished! Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father* against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law." (Luke 12:49-53 NASB)

"If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple." (Luke 14:26 NASB)

"But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NASB)

I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience. Thank you very much.

Nick

Re: Biblical Contradictions (New Testament)

#2 Post by Nick » April 15th, 2010, 10:44 pm

The explanation, Compo, is that, as a definitive guide to the best human conduct, the bible is as useless as a chocolate fireguard, written, as it is, by a collection of ignorant, fallible, bronze age men.

Compassionist

#3 Post by Compassionist » April 15th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Nick wrote:The explanation, Compo, is that, as a definitive guide to the best human conduct, the bible is as useless as a chocolate fireguard, written, as it is, by a collection of ignorant, fallible, bronze age men.
Well said Nick. Thank you. :)

tea_ismynewjesus

#4 Post by tea_ismynewjesus » April 26th, 2010, 9:17 pm

John 3:16 "For God so LOVED the world, that blah blah blah"

Romans 9:13 "Is it not written: Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I HATED"

On the offchance anyone's interested, the "is it not written?" is referring to Malachi 1:1-3 (Malachi is the last book of the OT).

Yes, I still have lots of silly Bible verses stored in my brain... They need to go!

grammar king

#5 Post by grammar king » April 26th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Ok but that's not technically a contradiction. I could, for example, love my football team but hate its central defender.

You want some contradictions? Check out this video which just got uploaded today.

Compassionist

#6 Post by Compassionist » April 27th, 2010, 9:40 am

Thank you! That was a great video.

Val

#7 Post by Val » April 27th, 2010, 5:07 pm

I watched this and found it very funny but what upset me was the men trying to justify the answers. I would have liked to have heard more of their arguements, except as I said I find it sickening to listen to, and to see the smug looks on their faces.

tea_ismynewjesus

#8 Post by tea_ismynewjesus » April 28th, 2010, 7:27 pm

grammar king wrote:Ok but that's not technically a contradiction. I could, for example, love my football team but hate its central defender.
If I remember correctly, the word "world" in John 3:16 is translated from the Greek word cosmos which can surprisingly mean several things... one of which being "all people"

OK, no more Bibling for me today.