INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Dawkins and Hitchins planning to arrest the Pope!

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Alan H

Re: Dawkins and Hitchins planning to arrest the Pope!

#101 Post by Alan H » September 16th, 2010, 1:02 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Some of Ratzinger's speech this morning:
Even in our own lifetime, we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live. I also recall the regime’s attitude to Christian pastors and religious who spoke the truth in love, opposed the Nazis and paid for that opposition with their lives. As we reflect on the sobering lessons of the atheist extremism of the twentieth century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus to a “reductive vision of the person and his destiny” (Caritas in Veritate, 29).
See Ben Goldacre's post for more.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Fia

#102 Post by Fia » September 16th, 2010, 2:56 pm

I sense Ratzinger doesn't do irony...

philbo

#103 Post by philbo » September 16th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Fia wrote:I sense Ratzinger doesn't do irony...
I sense he doesn't do honesty, either

Nick

#104 Post by Nick » September 16th, 2010, 4:01 pm

It was awful to see him clasp the little girls' hands in both of his. I'm not suggesting he personally has any evil intentions towards children, but to see a cleric do that made me want to yell "Take your filthy hands off her!"

CurtisB

#105 Post by CurtisB » September 16th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Dave B wrote:"Britain like a third world country"

I didn't know you could develop gout by putting your foot in your mouth . . .
live and learn, I guess... at least for some.
Jack Bremer wrote:He said Kasper had not intended "any kind of slight" but was referring to Britain's multicultural society.
(as per "a spokesman from the Vatican")

It seems this foot-in-mouth-disease is spreading through the ranks! WTF is that even supposed to mean? Last I checked, the typical 3rd world country wasn't exactly a melting pot of cultures...
"Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"
-Dr. Seuss

Alan H

#106 Post by Alan H » September 16th, 2010, 5:38 pm

On Twitter this afternoon:
Pope equates atheists with Nazis. All those who agree please raise your hand
http://twitpic.com/2ozht1
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Gottard

#107 Post by Gottard » September 17th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Alan H wrote:On Twitter this afternoon:
Pope equates atheists with Nazis. All those who agree please raise your hand
http://twitpic.com/2ozht1
The Nazi regime had not hampered the Vatican, nevertheless, to sign a concordat - still holding true - with them. This might be because the then police uniform's belt borne the phrase "God is with us"!
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

jaywhat

#108 Post by jaywhat » September 17th, 2010, 4:42 pm

http://www.secularism.org.uk/hitlers-el ... s-the.html

This link is for those of you who do not get the NSS Newsline.

Nick

#109 Post by Nick » September 17th, 2010, 10:25 pm

With all these "Catholic children" around the place, has Ratzo had his CRB check done....?

Caterpillar

#110 Post by Caterpillar » September 18th, 2010, 12:41 am

Hope this link works, it's very funny!

http://twitpic.com/2p94vy

getreal

#111 Post by getreal » September 18th, 2010, 12:46 am

:hilarity:

I now have a mental image of the pope cutting a ribbon at a Primark store.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

grammar king

#112 Post by grammar king » September 18th, 2010, 9:34 am

The Catholic League and his wife stick their oar in. I've never heard the BHA described as a radical atheist group before, I must admit.

justin

#113 Post by justin » September 18th, 2010, 4:29 pm

I think the atheist has a raw deal. Every religion hates them. As for the pope blaming the atheist I am quite enlighten by how deep this church has been involved in totalitarianism in History.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/se ... ral-values

Dave B

#114 Post by Dave B » September 18th, 2010, 4:59 pm

I think the atheist has a raw deal. Every religion hates them.
Surprising that Image

I think there are haters in any "belief system, there are certainly atheists that have deep hatred of all religions. Probably humanists as well, though I feel that true humanists do try to be rational about it.

One religious type on the radio today, discussing Il Papa's complaint against secularism, did differentiate between objective secularism and aggressive secularism. I cannot remember his definitions of these now but he did have a point. I believe that no religion should have any special place or authority in public life, but those that want to practice it can just go on and do so (provided that practice does not break any laws or disturb the rest of society.) I am agin overly aggressive secularism/atheism/humanism, firm assertiveness yes.

Kids are the difficult part for me, I do not think kids should be steered into any belief system until they are old enough to decide for themselves. They should be taught ethics and what is and is not moral behaviour certainly but that need not invoke any belief in religion, even if that was the vehicle for teaching such in our history.

Bit OT - sorry.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#115 Post by Maria Mac » September 18th, 2010, 6:52 pm

We had a lovely afternoon on the Protest the Pope March and nice to see Nick again. The march was far, far bigger than anticipated.

Just found a good link with photos:

http://www.urban75.org/london/pope-prot ... -2010.html

Alan C.

#116 Post by Alan C. » September 18th, 2010, 7:18 pm

That link was brilliant Maria thanks for posting, it's especially heartening to see so many young folk there and some of the signs were just priceless.
Do you think he'll have got the message? I doubt it.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#117 Post by Maria Mac » September 18th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Alan H

#118 Post by Alan H » September 18th, 2010, 9:06 pm

Lots of good stuff appearing on blog, etc:

Where are the Catholic anti-Pope protests?

September 18th, 2010

This is part of a comment I posted on a Facebook thread the other day, in reply to a Catholic friend of a friend’s assertion that the public cost of the Pope’s visit “would be alot less if fundamentalist athiests like Peter thatchell weren’t organising mass protests based on a hatred of religion”. I thought I would post it here because I think it’s important. I said that…

…the protests are not against religion, or Catholics, but against an organisation that protects paedophiles, opposes gay rights and restricts access to vital sexual health supplies, and that they had to be orchestrated by atheists is, I think, a great pity. Catholics who oppose child-rape, AIDS and homophobia should stand up to the Pope, because they’re who he’s presuming to speak for when he makes his dangerously insane pronouncements, and it’s only fear of their combined vote keeping the Vatican in its privileged and so horrifically abused position above Italian law.

Catholics: the reason atheists have organised a protest against your AIDS-spreading, rapist-protecting, homophobic leader is that (as far as I know) you didn’t. We’ll talk about who are the fundamentalists when you’ve satisfactorily explained why not.
Ben Goldacre's speech

Johann Hari's speech
Alan Henness

Gottard

#119 Post by Gottard » September 18th, 2010, 9:15 pm

grammar king wrote:The Catholic League and his wife stick their oar in. I've never heard the BHA described as a radical atheist group before, I must admit.
I notice the sword in their logo.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Alan H

#120 Post by Alan H » September 19th, 2010, 12:43 am

Loads of links to videos and photos on Noodlemaz's blog.

The first photo on that page has to be the iconic photo of the day.
Alan Henness

jaywhat

#121 Post by jaywhat » September 19th, 2010, 6:56 am

Thanks Maria and Alan for all that - what a good protest.