INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Predestined to be a Christian or a non-Christian?

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Marian

Re: Predestined to be a Christian or a non-Christian?

#21 Post by Marian » March 3rd, 2010, 2:23 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Marian wrote:Why assume there is pre-destiny in the first place? Isn't that just another way of removing responsibility for making our own choices as well as falling back on erroneous thinking? It's easier to live in our heads then to make changes in the real world.
Any chance you'd be willing to answer the first two questions I asked since you've done a beautiful job answering the second question?
Compassionist wrote:Very simple yet very profound.
I think quite often this is why people latch onto religions of various sorts. The appeal is to have life and its difficult decisions reduced to
something beyond our control. Yet, life seems to be a mixture of random, non-random and free agency.

Since all are prisoners of causality, all are worthy of compassion. This includes murderous lions and religious terrorists and sadistic torturers and deadly viruses. All we need to do is realise that everything is proceeding according to causality and show compassion to all. If we fail to realise this, that too is inevitable and is not anyone's fault. All are equal prisoners of causality. By my faith all are saved! See you in the omnibenevolent heaven![/quote]
I am sure as hell not going to show compassion to all. That is a huge disaster in the making as there are all sorts of people in the world willing to take advantage of that compassion.
There is a difference in cognitive awareness between the lion and terrorists/torturers. The latter have choice whereas the lion reacts. PS. Lions aren't murderous; that would imply intent.
It is not inevitable that I don't buy into hard determinism; I'm making a choice.
Transformative fire...

Hundovir

#22 Post by Hundovir » March 3rd, 2010, 8:30 pm

Compassionist wrote:Since all are prisoners of causality, all are worthy of compassion.
Marian wrote:I am sure as hell not going to show compassion to all. That is a huge disaster in the making as there are all sorts of people in the world willing to take advantage of that compassion.
There is a difference in cognitive awareness between the lion and terrorists/torturers. The latter have choice whereas the lion reacts.
Marion in another thread wrote:What those women did to their children was the result of post-partum depression, long-standing un-treated mental health issues and a warped world view.
Well, now...

Some are more equal than others.

Marian

#23 Post by Marian » March 3rd, 2010, 10:48 pm

Hey you! :)

As usual I'm out to lunch! What did you mean when you said: "Some are more equal than others."
Transformative fire...

Compassionist

#24 Post by Compassionist » March 12th, 2010, 2:47 am

:)