INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

To all those who insult Islam....

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Lifelinking

Re: To all those who insult Islam....

#61 Post by Lifelinking » February 6th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

We strongly beleive the UAF were planning on attacking the hindu festival whilst dressed
in EDL official merchandise
wtf?

Do they really expect anybody to believe crap like this?

You are right Maria, it is interesting that they keep their identities so very secret.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Hundovir

#62 Post by Hundovir » February 6th, 2010, 7:41 pm

Also very interesting, for me, is the publically declared distinction between "peace loving hindu community" and "Militant Islam".

Many Westerners do not feel at risk of dying alongside exploding Hindus, (despite the fact that, IIRC, suicide bombing was a Tamil Tiger technique.)

ETA: I mean I also, living in England, feel I would be less at risk from a detonating Hindu.

Lifelinking

#63 Post by Lifelinking » February 6th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Yeah, it's amazing how quickly a group can come to be seen as some sort of 'folk devils'.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#64 Post by Maria Mac » February 7th, 2010, 12:03 am

Lifelinking wrote:
We strongly beleive the UAF were planning on attacking the hindu festival whilst dressed
in EDL official merchandise
wtf?

Do they really expect anybody to believe crap like this?
Yes, I think they do. They - like other groups of thick yobbos - tend to believe all kinds of nonsense. I've heard the same the UAF is "state-sponsored" for example.

:headbang:

Lifelinking

#65 Post by Lifelinking » September 26th, 2010, 3:06 pm

While I was doing some research for a blog on the far right, I came across these articles which I think are worth mentioning here:

English Defence League: Inside the violent world of Britain's new far right

English Defence League: chaotic alliance stirs up trouble on streets
William McIlvanney

Marian

#66 Post by Marian » September 26th, 2010, 3:35 pm

LL,
Has there been any further word about the EDL and it's antics lately? It seems those guys only find their way into the news when things are in turmoil although I assume they must carry on at other times too.

The white supremists here is still alive and well although they keep a very quiet house most of the time. The latest tricks they were up to was to approach teens in school and give them pamphlets furthering the cause. Don't know if that's still going on.
Transformative fire...

Lifelinking

#67 Post by Lifelinking » September 26th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Six of them were arrested in Gateshead the other day after a Youtube video showed them burning a Koran at the back of a pub. If you follow the first link in my last post there is a pretty good video showing some undercover footage of their activities. There seems to be an increase in support for the far right all across Europe, which is a worry.
William McIlvanney

Dave B

#68 Post by Dave B » September 26th, 2010, 4:46 pm

I was thinking that there had not been much mention of the EDL on the radio (my only source of news these days) since the first of those clips.
There seems to be an increase in support for the far right all across Europe, which is a worry.
It does not really surprise me. The combination of militant Islamism and the migration of people all over Europe (mostly from the poorer countries to the richer) are bound to cause a degree of concern which these types can fan into a real fear.

The frequent mention of job shortages and, in the longer term, commodity shortages could also play on the mind if one allowed it to. Not only will there be less jobs, cuts in benefits and probably wage restraints but food and clothing will, it seems, definitely cost more. Add in the concerns evinced over future energy sources for the world's growing population and you have a potentially worrying mix that those wishing to cause trouble may find useful.

Having said that, for the moment, the political apathy, of the English at least, will not make any large scale events easy to set up. In real numbers and frequency the problems we have suffered so far do not compare with some around the world. For the moment anyway.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Gottard

#69 Post by Gottard » September 26th, 2010, 5:35 pm

I confirm the far right resurgence especially (if strangely) from the Eastern EU Countries. My info. comes from the local Humanist organizations.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Fia

#70 Post by Fia » September 26th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Dave B wrote:... for the moment, the political apathy, of the English at least, will not make any large scale events easy to set up.
There's actually been quite a lot of work against the far right in the UK, in particular http://www.hopenothate.org.uk
which my strange mind always reads more like an excellent drug rather than hope not hate :innocence:
In May the BNP were heavily defeated in the East London borough of Barking and Dagenham. They went into the election hoping to win the council but ended up being totally wiped out. This is the story of how we beat the BNP.
There are many good folk out there in the UK doing their best to stop these xenophobic thugs gaining any more political power. I hope there is the same mobilisation of hope throughout Europe :D

Lifelinking

#71 Post by Lifelinking » September 26th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Just blogged on this here where I also linked to Hope Not Hate (great minds Fia :D )
William McIlvanney

Dave B

#72 Post by Dave B » September 26th, 2010, 9:56 pm

There's actually been quite a lot of work against the far right in the UK
This is true, at this level, Fia. And I have met Hope not Hate before - excellent site.

I was thinking more about the population as a whole. There have been cases where large "crowds" have been raised in Britain in response to some things (including the anti-globalisation movements which is another matter), have these reached the levels of passion that are raised in other countries?

I am saying the passions raised to a high degree are necessarily a good thing, but there does seem to be a pattern where, if there has been a large popular response with a threat of violence this can translate into action by the authorities or new laws against the radicals.

To beat the far right white organisations it is going to take a strong "white British" backlash against them to have any real effect. Is there any evidence that, in terms of demonstrations, this is happening? I do get that feeling that legislation against racially aggressive groups comes after a series of "passionate" demonstrations. Web sites etc. are preaching to the converted mainly, such things must be stuck under the public nose to get them really noticed and attract action by the authorities. Ensuring that such action goes in the right direction must take a lot of carefully planning and a degree of discipline.

If the anti-right groups consist of a very high proportion of immigrants and members of ethnic minorities and act in a violent manner they risk giving the radicals ammunition.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015