INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Indoctrination stumbles in Canada

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
gcb01

Indoctrination stumbles in Canada

#1 Post by gcb01 » September 4th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Parents at a school in Canada objected to the curriculum requirement of a course on ethics and religious culture introduced across the province last year on the grounds that it was undermining their efforts to instill Christian faith in their children.

"What parents were demanding was the right to ignorance, the right to protect their children from being exposed to the existence of other religions," the judge said. "This right to ignorance is certainly not protected under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Freedom of religion does not protect the right not to know what is going on in our universe."

Full story at: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1956333

Have they no shame?
Regards

Campbell

Paolo

Re: Indoctrination stumbles in Canada

#2 Post by Paolo » September 4th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Good news for secularism in Canada - it's a shame that parents with Faith are so eager to brainwash their children that they'll throw their money away fighting against a perfectly reasonable sounding section of curriculum.

SoldierForTruth

#3 Post by SoldierForTruth » September 4th, 2009, 9:14 pm

It's a real shame that public schools here in America don't teach world religions from grades 1-11 (or 12 even). I was never even offered a world religion class. The only time world religions were brought up was briefly in a geography class in 9th grade.
"Loyalty to tradition is not enough. You've got to keep asking yourself: What if I'm wrong?"
-Daniel C. Dennett

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » September 4th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Well done Quebec!

I like the fact that it is, truly, compulsory. I am just saddened that it is only happening now and only in one small state within a larger country.

A compulsory requirement to teach religion in this manner, in all Scottish schools would help lessen the abominable bigotry still very evident in Scotland today.

Oh! and the elimination of faith-based schools (even if they got rid of the state supported ones, it'd at least be a start) would help too.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#5 Post by Maria Mac » September 5th, 2009, 12:07 am

gcb01 wrote:
"What parents were demanding was the right to ignorance, the right to protect their children from being exposed to the existence of other religions," the judge said. "This right to ignorance is certainly not protected under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Freedom of religion does not protect the right not to know what is going on in our universe."
Superb quote, though it wasn't actually the judge but an expert commentator on the case who said it.

Marian

#6 Post by Marian » September 6th, 2009, 1:57 pm

SoldierForTruth wrote:It's a real shame that public schools here in America don't teach world religions from grades 1-11 (or 12 even). I was never even offered a world religion class. The only time world religions were brought up was briefly in a geography class in 9th grade.
I think it depends what State you are in as well. Since you have the unfortunate distinction of being in the bible belt, I guess they might want to keep the children sheltered (less questioning that way, right?). My husband grew up in Cali (California, for our out of country friends). He said they did have a world religion class but only in high school and never at the private xian schools.

I attended a Catholic school until about Grade 3 and went to Catholic church with my parents until I was 16 so I had a fair amount of indoctrination. Yet, something caused me to question the whole religion thing despite protests from my parents. I remember thinking and saying to them: how can the bible state that god is about love and compassion and yet look at the Spanish Inquistion. At the time, I couldn't figure out for the life of me why that upset them :D So, you and I both know that it is possible to be within the cult of religion and still question.

I would like to see the removal of catholic schools from government support since I believe that state and religion should be separate. To go a step further, I would like to see mandatory critical thinking classes beginning at about the age of 7 for public schools (since I know that religious schools will never agree to that!) and world religion classes which clearly demonstrate the actual known behaviour (current and historical) of religious institutions and the inherent contradictions of their books.
Transformative fire...

SoldierForTruth

#7 Post by SoldierForTruth » September 6th, 2009, 7:28 pm

mmitchc633 wrote:I think it depends what State you are in as well. Since you have the unfortunate distinction of being in the bible belt, I guess they might want to keep the children sheltered (less questioning that way, right?).
That's true. I count myself fortunate that I got out of Kansas before they decided to start teaching Creationism ( :sad2: ) alongside the theory of evolution.
"Loyalty to tradition is not enough. You've got to keep asking yourself: What if I'm wrong?"
-Daniel C. Dennett

Marian

#8 Post by Marian » September 7th, 2009, 12:57 am

SoldierForTruth wrote:
mmitchc633 wrote:I think it depends what State you are in as well. Since you have the unfortunate distinction of being in the bible belt, I guess they might want to keep the children sheltered (less questioning that way, right?).
That's true. I count myself fortunate that I got out of Kansas before they decided to start teaching Creationism ( :sad2: ) alongside the theory of evolution.
When I read your post, I immediately thought of The Wizard of Oz where Dorothy says: I don't think we're in Kansas anymore; I immediately started cheering!
Transformative fire...