INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

St Patricks day

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Alan C.

St Patricks day

#1 Post by Alan C. » March 13th, 2008, 11:39 pm

Mary (my wife for those who don't know) is very miffed that the Church have changed the date of HER BIRTHDAY which is St Patricks day, 17th March, to saturday the 15th.
They say they can't have St Patrick taking the limelight on the first day of the (holy week)
Well excuse me! If there was a Jesus guy, and he was crucified, and he rose from the dead, Don't you think somebody would have made a record of the date? Is it just a coinsidence that the Church use the same method to determine when Easter (the spring equinox) falls as the Pagans did?
Well I'm sorry but Monday the 17th is St Patrick's day and Mary's birthday, and in our house there will be much jollification!
Fortunately the folk on this small Island aren't too concerned about "holy week" and things just go on as normal.
BRAE UP-HELLY-AA 21 March

When: 21 March 2008 (3rd Friday of every March).....................Yes that's "good Friday" folks.
Where: Brae, Shetland Islands
Web: http://www.visitshetland.com
Brae's Up Helly Aa Viking Festival is the last one of the season, and is the last opportunity to engage in sacrificial ship-burning and sun-worship until next year.
"Sun worship" Take that you Christians :dance:
Sorry, I'm in a mood :headbang: There's been a debate going here about whether the school holidays should tie in with Easter, the Christians lost and the "spring break" will be Monday 31st March – Friday 11th April as this fits in best with getting equal term lengths and so makes more sense, a victory for common sense.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

Re: St Patricks day

#2 Post by Alan H » March 14th, 2008, 12:34 am

Alan C. wrote:and in our house there will be much jollification!
What? More jollification than usual?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

grammar king

#3 Post by grammar king » March 14th, 2008, 3:35 pm

Nobody I know is even aware of this change. Indeed right this very second I'm wearing a shamrock hat on my head which proclaims Monday as St Patrick's Day. After work I will be going out and getting wasted as a celebration of the secularization of a religious holiday. I'd better enjoy it now, as soon as I graduate, they'll start calling it alcoholism, hehe.

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » March 14th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Alan C. wrote:They say they can't have St Patrick taking the limelight on the first day of the (holy week)
The start of holy week is the Sunday (Palm Sunday), of course. Moving St Patrick's Day to the Saturday simply means a few sore heads at Sunday Mass!
There's been a debate going here about whether the school holidays should tie in with Easter, the Christians lost and the "spring break" will be Monday 31st March – Friday 11th April as this fits in best with getting equal term lengths and so makes more sense, a victory for common sense.
I agree. I'm sure it will come to pass in a few years. When it does, it'll be another sign of the secularisation of society, but the churches will kick up a stink!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

lewist

#5 Post by lewist » March 14th, 2008, 11:04 pm

First, Happy Birthday Mary on Monday! Have a great day! :D

Having gone to school in Fife I was really puzzled when I taught elsewhere by the fuss made about Easter and having it in the holidays. If Good Friday and Easter Monday weren't in the holidays, then so be it, you went to school. I have always been convinced that's the way it should be.

When I taught in Sutherland it was more important not to have the children who lived in the hostel in Golspie travelling on the Sabbath so the holidays always had a Monday as the last day. Thus they saved the bairns' poor wee immortal souls. We once worked a full day on Christmas Eve, as Christmas didn't matter to the Free Kirkers.

:shrug:
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » March 14th, 2008, 11:29 pm

Lewist
First, Happy Birthday Mary on Monday! Have a great day!
Thanks Lewis, but I doubt she'll thank either you or me for marking the passing of another year, I've bought her a big Teddy Bear with a hollow stomach to store her jim jams in, hopefully that will soften the blow.....................Well that and a bottle of wine :D
And good luck with your return to teaching, not the easiest of jobs by a long way, you have my admiration!

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » March 14th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Alan C. wrote:I've bought her a big Teddy Bear with a hollow stomach to store her jim jams in
You old romantic, you!
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#8 Post by Alan C. » March 17th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Alan H wrote:
Alan C. wrote:I've bought her a big Teddy Bear with a hollow stomach to store her jim jams in
You old romantic, you!
She is well chuffed, (wimin are easy pleased) :exit:
we've been together since she was 14 and I only found out today she's never had a teddy bear! Much brownie points for me :D

xman

#9 Post by xman » March 17th, 2008, 11:20 pm

Well Happy Birthday for sure, but Ican't help noticing that you're miffed over the allocation of SAINT Patrick's day.

X
Always remember, it's your right to have a SUPER day.
If you're wrong, call me ... I'll have one for you!

Critical Thinking - http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/ctlessons.html

FloatingBoater

#10 Post by FloatingBoater » March 18th, 2008, 5:19 am

Saint Chuffin Patrick my arse ... the scrote was Welsh anyway ... don't tell the Irish. :laughter:
Let us accept that the difference between a prophet and a madman is not what they say but whether the crowd accepts the story and tells their children to believe it.