INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Oh Great - Seven New Mortal Sins

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Lifelinking

Oh Great - Seven New Mortal Sins

#1 Post by Lifelinking » March 10th, 2008, 6:15 pm

The good old RC Church have got themselves tied up with some really muddled thinking if this BBC News article is anything to go by.

Fewer confessions and new sins

For example the mortal sin of 'Drug Trafficking and Consumption' ? (presumably all those RC outlets knocking out various alcoholic beverages are given a special dispensation?)

Some Archbishop chappie is also quoted as saying that abortion and paedophilia are 'two of the greatest sins of our times', before brushing off his Church's own record of child abuse as 'media exaggerations'.

Marvellous.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan H

Re: Oh Great - Seven New Mortal Sins

#2 Post by Alan H » March 10th, 2008, 6:23 pm

The article in The Times was included in today's MediaScan.
“You offend God not only by stealing, blaspheming or coveting your neighbour’s wife, but also by ruining the environment, carrying out morally debatable scientific experiments, or allowing genetic manipulations which alter DNA or compromise embryos,” he said.
Yes, yes, the first few I recognise from the bible...but which chapter is the one about DNA in again?
“the excessive accumulation of wealth by a few”.
That's rich [sic] coming from the Catholic church! :hilarity:
The mass media had “blown up” the issue [paedophilia] “to discredit the Church”, but the Church itself was taking steps to deal with it.
What? They're just taking steps now?
The Pope also complained that an increasing number of people in the secularised West were “making do without God”.
:happyclappy:
The original offences and their punishments
Pride Broken on the wheel
Envy Put in freezing water
Gluttony Forced to eat rats, toads, and snakes
Lust Smothered in fire and brimstone
Anger Dismembered alive
Greed Put in cauldrons of boiling oil
Sloth Thrown in snake pits
Do they still mete out these punishments? :shrug:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

wizzy

#3 Post by wizzy » March 10th, 2008, 8:14 pm

What is the
Violation of fundamental rights of human nature
?

I've committed all of the old seven sins, (actually I'd say demanding that people don't commit them (or feeling extremely guilty for doing so) is violating the fundamental rights of human nature). Disappointingly I'm not sure I'm going to manage to commit all of the new sins. Though it would be entertaining to carry out morally debatable experiments using the Pope as a subject.

How did they come up with these new sins anyway? Did someone have a revelation?

Alan C.

#4 Post by Alan C. » March 10th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Alan H
“the excessive accumulation of wealth by a few”.
That's rich [sic] coming from the Catholic church!
Yes, Bishops and Palaces were the first two words that sprang to mind, the next were, "Catholic Church pays out $655million in abuse cases" Hmmm.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

mdean

#5 Post by mdean » March 10th, 2008, 9:50 pm

The original offences and their punishments
Pride Broken on the wheel
Envy Put in freezing water
Gluttony Forced to eat rats, toads, and snakes
Lust Smothered in fire and brimstone
Anger Dismembered alive
Greed Put in cauldrons of boiling oil
Sloth Thrown in snake pits
Bugger. I was planning the go to Rome on holiday, maybe I'll try Mogadishu instead, It sounds safer!

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » March 10th, 2008, 10:12 pm

We're missing one important fact here! They're only sins if you're a Catholic, phew I was worried for a while there. :laughter:

Heurismus

#7 Post by Heurismus » March 10th, 2008, 11:09 pm

Hmm Seven New Deadly Sins...?

Well, who gives a damn about the old ones. Nowadays you can profit very nicely from those whilst grubbing about over the new ones

Blair takes Yale teaching post
By David Turner

Published: March 8 2008

Tony Blair, the former UK prime minister, will teach at Yale University in the next academic year, leading a seminar on faith and globalisation. Mr Blair will work with the management and divinity faculties in New Haven, Connecticut, as a Howland Distinguished Fellow. He has also been appointed a part-time adviser to JPMorgan, the US bank, and is an international envoy to the Middle East.

The Financial Times Limited 2008

Another Catholic Saint in the making.
The most cogent reason for restricting the interference of government is the great evil of adding unnecessarily to its power. - J.S. Mill

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » March 10th, 2008, 11:33 pm

Even worse, The Times said:
Richard Levin, the Yale President, said: “The appointment of Mr Blair provides a tremendous opportunity for our students and our community. As the world continues to become increasingly interdependent, it is essential that we explore how religious values can be channelled toward reconciliation rather than polarisation. Mr Blair has demonstrated outstanding leadership in these areas and is especially qualified to bring his perspective to bear. We are honoured that he is planning to join the Yale community.”
"how religious values can be channelled toward reconciliation rather than polarisation" [---][/---] that's a tough assignment!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

mdean

#9 Post by mdean » March 11th, 2008, 12:20 am

You never know, there may be hope. He may be planning to do the the catholics what he did to Labour. Strip it of original values, make it middle class. The bible could be the next clause 4! We could be looking at the start of New Religion. :twisted:

Heurismus

#10 Post by Heurismus » March 11th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Hmm...yeah. I see where you are on this...the Church to own the means of production. BLOODY HELL!
So that's it, Tony is assured of sainthood if he can pull this 45 minute wonder off - the reestablishment of the Dark Ages when the Church finally took over Europe and we were all spawn scum worms in 'The Great Chain of Being'.

Mr Blair has demonstrated outstanding leadership in these areas and is especially qualified to bring his perspective to bear...especially when it comes to scum.

This Blair charade is so effing perverse; I think the whole planet must have now turned to the dark side and we will be dragged screaming to the altar of his narcicism...over my dead body.
The most cogent reason for restricting the interference of government is the great evil of adding unnecessarily to its power. - J.S. Mill

Alan C.

#11 Post by Alan C. » March 11th, 2008, 11:43 pm

Tony Blair, the former UK prime minister, will teach at Yale University in the next academic year,
Just how much wealth does an individual need? One of the new "sins"
the excessive accumulation of wealth by a few”.
I wish there was a hell for bastards like this, unfortunately he knows it's a load of bo**ocks so it's business as usual. :angry:

Lifelinking

#12 Post by Lifelinking » March 18th, 2008, 11:31 pm

An example of the hypocrisy that surrounds this is outlined in this piece on Concordat Watch
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

grammar king

#13 Post by grammar king » March 19th, 2008, 10:31 am

I love how the Pope thinks he's an authority on bioethics...

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » March 19th, 2008, 10:28 pm

...and sexuality (of all kinds)...

...and contraception...
Alan Henness

Lifelinking

#15 Post by Lifelinking » March 19th, 2008, 11:03 pm

and education...
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#16 Post by Alan C. » March 19th, 2008, 11:19 pm

And fashion!

Alan H

#17 Post by Alan H » March 19th, 2008, 11:29 pm

:hilarity:
Alan Henness

Lord Muck oGentry

#18 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » March 20th, 2008, 12:03 am

Heurismus wrote:Mr Blair has demonstrated outstanding leadership in these areas and is especially qualified to bring his perspective to bear...especially when it comes to scum.

This Blair charade is so effing perverse; I think the whole planet must have now turned to the dark side and we will be dragged screaming to the altar of his narcicism...over my dead body.
Yon Blair? Nane the waur o a guid hingin...
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey