INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

How the Bible supports slavery

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Message
Author
Compassionist
Posts: 3579
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#61 Post by Compassionist » July 27th, 2022, 6:17 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 26th, 2022, 6:06 pm
Compassionist wrote:
July 26th, 2022, 5:03 pm
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 26th, 2022, 2:01 pm
That is not much of an answer and does not really answer the question to my satisfaction.

As to notions of light speed, picture a beam of light, light cone as some call it, being deflected by a gravitational or other source.

On the inside of the curve, you would have one speed, the speed of light, and on the outside of the curve, you would have a faster speed to keep up.

Think of a car going around a corner. The outside of the wheels will travel further than the inside of the wheel in the same amount of time.

Regards
DL
I am satisfied with the answers. The beam of light curving due to the gravity of a black hole is not the same thing as the wheels of a car going around a corner. There is no inside beam and outside beam the way there is an inside wheel and an outside wheel.
Sure there is.

Think light cone, like what you see from a flashlight. Like a triangle with edges.

Bring it close to a gravitational field, and like a car going around a curve, the outside goes faster and further than the inside to keep up.

Regards
DL
No, it's not like that at all. A car's wheels are attached to the car. The photos of a beam of light from a flashlight are not attached to each other. When gravity bends light, it bends all of the photons in proportion to the distance they are from the source of the gravity e.g. a black hole. How much each photon is affected by the gravity depends on how close it is to the source of the gravity. The speed of light is not altered when gravity bends light. The universe expands at speeds greater than the speed of light. Electromagnetic waves are fast but they are not the fastest thing in existence. The light that we can see with our eyes is a small segment of the electromagnetic spectrum.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 201
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#62 Post by Gnostic Bishop » July 27th, 2022, 6:38 pm

That proportion, shown as a fan, is what has the inner edge going slower than the outer edge.

I cannot believe that you cannot fathom a wheel or car going in a circle having their outside going further/faster than the inner edge.

Have you never driven a 4 wheel drive?

The outside skids while the inside does not.

Regards
DL

Compassionist
Posts: 3579
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#63 Post by Compassionist » July 28th, 2022, 3:53 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 27th, 2022, 6:38 pm
That proportion, shown as a fan, is what has the inner edge going slower than the outer edge.

I cannot believe that you cannot fathom a wheel or car going in a circle having their outside going further/faster than the inner edge.

Have you never driven a 4 wheel drive?

The outside skids while the inside does not.

Regards
DL
I know that the outer wheels of a car has further to travel than the inner wheels of the car when turning a corner. This happens because the wheels are connected to the car. Photons from a beam of light are not like the inner and outer wheels of car because the photons are not connected to each other the way the wheels are connected to each other and the car. Photons on the inside of a beam of light arrive sooner than the photons on the outside of the beam of light when the beam of light has to turn due to gravity. This is because the photons on the outside have to travel a greater distance. The speed of light remains the same for the photons on the inside and the photons on the outside of the beam of light.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 201
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#64 Post by Gnostic Bishop » July 28th, 2022, 8:17 pm

You ignore the greater distance travelled for the outside photon.

That greater distance must be traversed faster than the speed of light for the beam to remain coherent and not loose its edge and whatever information is there.

Right?

Think car again.

Go for a longer trip always turning the same way.

Eventually the distance travelled for the outside wheels will increase far enough to be quite measurable.

Photons have orbits and damned if I can even think of why stretching those orbits does not change everything.

I am missing a key piece of knowledge or understanding.

Regards
DL

Compassionist
Posts: 3579
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#65 Post by Compassionist » July 28th, 2022, 9:40 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 28th, 2022, 8:17 pm
You ignore the greater distance travelled for the outside photon.

That greater distance must be traversed faster than the speed of light for the beam to remain coherent and not loose its edge and whatever information is there.

Right?

Think car again.

Go for a longer trip always turning the same way.

Eventually the distance travelled for the outside wheels will increase far enough to be quite measurable.

Photons have orbits and damned if I can even think of why stretching those orbits does not change everything.

I am missing a key piece of knowledge or understanding.

Regards
DL
No, I did not ignore the greater distance travelled by the outside photons. It is because of this greater distance that the photons on the inside of a beam of light arrive sooner than the photons on the outside of the beam of light when the beam of light has to turn due to gravity. The speed of light in a vacuum is a universal constant. The beam of light won't remain coherent because there is nothing keeping it coherent. The photons are not glued to each other.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 201
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#66 Post by Gnostic Bishop » July 28th, 2022, 9:51 pm

Look at any laser experiment where the beam is curved.

The light remains coherent.

We are missing something.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bending+ ... vA7Q4c_8pM

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bending+ ... 61&bih=338

Regards
DL

Compassionist
Posts: 3579
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#67 Post by Compassionist » July 29th, 2022, 11:32 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 28th, 2022, 9:51 pm
Look at any laser experiment where the beam is curved.

The light remains coherent.

We are missing something.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bending+ ... vA7Q4c_8pM

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bending+ ... 61&bih=338

Regards
DL
Light from a flashlight and light from a laser are different because the photons in the beam of light from a flashlight form a cone shape and the photons diverge away from each other but the photons in a beam of light from a laser are parallel to each other and do not diverge from each other, they remain in a narrow beam. I had look at your search results. There is no data shown in the results. What we need is data measuring the speed of the inside photons and the outside photons during the turn so that we can compare the speeds of the photons.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 201
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#68 Post by Gnostic Bishop » July 29th, 2022, 4:45 pm

Compassionist wrote:
July 29th, 2022, 11:32 am
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 28th, 2022, 9:51 pm
Look at any laser experiment where the beam is curved.

The light remains coherent.

We are missing something.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bending+ ... vA7Q4c_8pM

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bending+ ... 61&bih=338

Regards
DL
Light from a flashlight and light from a laser are different because the photons in the beam of light from a flashlight form a cone shape and the photons diverge away from each other but the photons in a beam of light from a laser are parallel to each other and do not diverge from each other, they remain in a narrow beam. I had look at your search results. There is no data shown in the results. What we need is data measuring the speed of the inside photons and the outside photons during the turn so that we can compare the speeds of the photons.
I agree, and have not found such an experiment.

As to your initial thought, I think laser beams widen naturally and that extra speed might have something to do with it.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=How%20muc ... istance%3F

Regards
DL

Compassionist
Posts: 3579
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#69 Post by Compassionist » July 29th, 2022, 6:38 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 29th, 2022, 4:45 pm
Compassionist wrote:
July 29th, 2022, 11:32 am
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 28th, 2022, 9:51 pm
Look at any laser experiment where the beam is curved.

The light remains coherent.

We are missing something.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bending+ ... vA7Q4c_8pM

https://www.google.ca/search?q=bending+ ... 61&bih=338

Regards
DL
Light from a flashlight and light from a laser are different because the photons in the beam of light from a flashlight form a cone shape and the photons diverge away from each other but the photons in a beam of light from a laser are parallel to each other and do not diverge from each other, they remain in a narrow beam. I had look at your search results. There is no data shown in the results. What we need is data measuring the speed of the inside photons and the outside photons during the turn so that we can compare the speeds of the photons.
I agree, and have not found such an experiment.

As to your initial thought, I think laser beams widen naturally and that extra speed might have something to do with it.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=How%20muc ... istance%3F

Regards
DL
I have not found such an experiment either and I don't have the tools needed to carry out the experiment myself. Laser beams do diverge over long distances, but I am not talking about long distances. I am talking about as soon as the beam leaves the source of the beam.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 201
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#70 Post by Gnostic Bishop » July 30th, 2022, 5:58 pm

Laser beams do diverge over long distances, but I am not talking about long distances. I am talking about as soon as the beam leaves the source of the beam.

Think upsizing and downsizing.

If you solve a problem like what we have, basically of an angle of divergence, distance does not matter, as it is the equations created that become important.

I am not familiar with scholarly things and modus operandi, but that seems to make sense.

Never having gone to a University, I do not know anyone with a laser lab either.

A guy could likely pay for such a thing if he was really interested though.

Regards
DL

Compassionist
Posts: 3579
Joined: July 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#71 Post by Compassionist » August 1st, 2022, 9:36 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 30th, 2022, 5:58 pm
Laser beams do diverge over long distances, but I am not talking about long distances. I am talking about as soon as the beam leaves the source of the beam.

Think upsizing and downsizing.

If you solve a problem like what we have, basically of an angle of divergence, distance does not matter, as it is the equations created that become important.

I am not familiar with scholarly things and modus operandi, but that seems to make sense.

Never having gone to a University, I do not know anyone with a laser lab either.

A guy could likely pay for such a thing if he was really interested though.

Regards
DL
Distance from the source does matter. If the angle of divergence is X degrees, then the farther you go from the source of the photons the further apart the inside and the outside photons will get.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 201
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: How the Bible supports slavery

#72 Post by Gnostic Bishop » August 1st, 2022, 2:23 pm

Compassionist wrote:
August 1st, 2022, 9:36 am
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
July 30th, 2022, 5:58 pm
Laser beams do diverge over long distances, but I am not talking about long distances. I am talking about as soon as the beam leaves the source of the beam.

Think upsizing and downsizing.

If you solve a problem like what we have, basically of an angle of divergence, distance does not matter, as it is the equations created that become important.

I am not familiar with scholarly things and modus operandi, but that seems to make sense.

Never having gone to a University, I do not know anyone with a laser lab either.

A guy could likely pay for such a thing if he was really interested though.

Regards
DL
Distance from the source does matter. If the angle of divergence is X degrees, then the farther you go from the source of the photons the further apart the inside and the outside photons will get.
I agree.

My point was more that x retains the same value and would be the discovery.

Regards
DL

Post Reply