INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Message
Author
User avatar
animist
Posts: 6394
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#21 Postby animist » March 30th, 2018, 10:05 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Gnostic Bishop wrote:As to the O.P.

Do you see religions as mostly preaching truth or lies?

If lies, do you think that a thing that should be allowed to continue in light of the damage religions bring to us, like homophobia and misogyny?

Regards
DL
you do not seem to listen to what I say, so I will break it down. Not all false statements are lies, can you understand and accept this?

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 117
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#22 Postby Gnostic Bishop » April 4th, 2018, 10:32 pm

tempogain wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:if there were, why is the first stop of a new president right after the signing in is to a Church?


Is this supposed to be an example of a logical fallacy? :) How are the two things related?

What kind of thing do you have in mind specifically as fraudulent religious activity? Some things are in fact prosecuted.


When was the last time you saw a Catholic priest or protestant preacher go to court to show why he is lying to his flock?

I have yet to see such a grand trial.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 117
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#23 Postby Gnostic Bishop » April 4th, 2018, 10:37 pm

animist wrote:[What is a logical fallacy? What logical fallacy have I or anyone else committed?


A logical fallacy is well described in the dictionary.

In those, I would include any statement that is faith based and not fact based.

Those are all lies from what evidence is given for the statements.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 117
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#24 Postby Gnostic Bishop » April 4th, 2018, 10:38 pm

animist wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:As to the O.P.

Do you see religions as mostly preaching truth or lies?

If lies, do you think that a thing that should be allowed to continue in light of the damage religions bring to us, like homophobia and misogyny?

Regards
DL
you do not seem to listen to what I say, so I will break it down. Not all false statements are lies, can you understand and accept this?


A false statement is exactly how a lie is described.

If you cannot get that.

Regards
DL

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6394
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#25 Postby animist » April 5th, 2018, 9:20 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:A false statement is exactly how a lie is described.

If you cannot get that.
no, no, no! Learn a bit of logic, GB. Some terms have wider meanings than others and include them in this wider meaning. For instance all humans are animals but not all animals are humans. Applying this to the present argument, all lies are false statements but not false statements are lies - they may be mistakes of some sort, for instance. A lie is a false statement made in the knowledge that it is false and with the intention of misleading the hearer

tempogain
Posts: 11
Joined: March 26th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#26 Postby tempogain » April 5th, 2018, 3:56 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
When was the last time you saw a Catholic priest or protestant preacher go to court to show why he is lying to his flock?



Can you give me an example of "lying"? I'm not sure we're on the same page here. Strictly speaking lying is not illegal in itself.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 117
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#27 Postby Gnostic Bishop » April 5th, 2018, 5:59 pm

animist wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:A false statement is exactly how a lie is described.

If you cannot get that.
no, no, no! Learn a bit of logic, GB. Some terms have wider meanings than others and include them in this wider meaning. For instance all humans are animals but not all animals are humans. Applying this to the present argument, all lies are false statements but not false statements are lies - they may be mistakes of some sort, for instance. A lie is a false statement made in the knowledge that it is false and with the intention of misleading the hearer


Restrict your definition if you like. That is what the liars do.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 117
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#28 Postby Gnostic Bishop » April 5th, 2018, 6:02 pm

tempogain wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
When was the last time you saw a Catholic priest or protestant preacher go to court to show why he is lying to his flock?



Can you give me an example of "lying"? I'm not sure we're on the same page here. Strictly speaking lying is not illegal in itself.


It is when the mark pays for the lies.

Religious lies begin the moment that the clergy start to preach about things they cannot know. Like heaven, hell and talking serpents and donkeys. Anything they say of such issues are lies, and they know it.

Regards
DL

User avatar
animist
Posts: 6394
Joined: July 30th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#29 Postby animist » April 5th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
animist wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:A false statement is exactly how a lie is described.

If you cannot get that.
no, no, no! Learn a bit of logic, GB. Some terms have wider meanings than others and include them in this wider meaning. For instance all humans are animals but not all animals are humans. Applying this to the present argument, all lies are false statements but not false statements are lies - they may be mistakes of some sort, for instance. A lie is a false statement made in the knowledge that it is false and with the intention of misleading the hearer


Restrict your definition if you like. That is what the liars do.

Regards
DL
oh dear, an ad hominem attack. I don't think we can converse much more, but I might as well quote the Oxford English Dictionary's definition of lie: "an intentionally false statement". The crucial word is "intentionally".

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Posts: 117
Joined: October 20th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

#30 Postby Gnostic Bishop » April 5th, 2018, 10:45 pm

animist wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
animist wrote:no, no, no! Learn a bit of logic, GB. Some terms have wider meanings than others and include them in this wider meaning. For instance all humans are animals but not all animals are humans. Applying this to the present argument, all lies are false statements but not false statements are lies - they may be mistakes of some sort, for instance. A lie is a false statement made in the knowledge that it is false and with the intention of misleading the hearer


Restrict your definition if you like. That is what the liars do.

Regards
DL
oh dear, an ad hominem attack. I don't think we can converse much more, but I might as well quote the Oxford English Dictionary's definition of lie: "an intentionally false statement". The crucial word is "intentionally".


Are you saying that you think religious liars believe their lies?

If so, that is not too bright of you, so you are right that we will not chat much.

I have argued face to face with priests and preachers. They know they are lying.

Regards
DL


Return to “Religion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest