INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Tell Easter egg manufacturers to go plastic free-Petition

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
coffee

Tell Easter egg manufacturers to go plastic free-Petition

#1 Post by coffee » April 1st, 2018, 3:10 pm

Tell Easter egg manufacturers to go plastic free-Please sign this Petition

https://act.friendsoftheearth.uk/act/te ... a-22627685

Compassionist

Re: Tell Easter egg manufacturers to go plastic free-Petition

#2 Post by Compassionist » April 2nd, 2018, 6:18 pm

coffee wrote:Tell Easter egg manufacturers to go plastic free-Please sign this Petition

https://act.friendsoftheearth.uk/act/te ... a-22627685
Thank you. Signed it.

Nick

#3 Post by Nick » April 2nd, 2018, 11:08 pm

So plastic is "a bad thing".

Ok, let's suppose it is. But is this really the way to change anything? By shreeking
"Sign now to pile pressure on the top Easter egg manufacturers to remove plastic from their packaging, so we can stop putting tonnes more plastic into the oceans."
Frankly, i don't think mob rule, even if only electronic, is the way to go, not only in life and politics, but also in persuading Easter egg manufacturers to change anything. Not only does it sound like the wails of a bunch of loons (no matter how well intentioned my fellow posters may be) but we are not just dumping tonnes of plastic into the sea as a method of disposal of easter egg packaging.

How about a different approach, such as this: "we the undersigned would be much more inclined to buy your eggs if they were free of plastic We also believe it would be much better for the environment. What steps are you taking to move in that direction?" Might this be more likely ISTM to get them to provide plastic-free products and engage in discussion about how to progress?

VINDICATOR

#4 Post by VINDICATOR » April 3rd, 2018, 10:53 am

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, (GPGP) which is now three times the area of France and growing like mad is much more serious than just some Easter-egg plastic. At the present rate, the Pacific Ocean will soon become a cess-pool! Where can I get a ticket to Mars?

animist

#5 Post by animist » April 3rd, 2018, 1:51 pm

VINDICATOR wrote:The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, (GPGP) which is now three times the area of France and growing like mad is much more serious than just some Easter-egg plastic. At the present rate, the Pacific Ocean will soon become a cess-pool! Where can I get a ticket to Mars?
so you can pollute this planet too? But of course, you are right! Must admit that I believe in the principle of minimum injury, so that ethically, minimising hurt to any creature is more important than the more attractive option of exploring and inhabiting the Universe. I think that good people are torn between the options of exploration and minimum pain, and this is probably a dilemma for those who take humanism, or any other ism, really seriously