INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

...otherwise people will return to religions...

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
coffee

...otherwise people will return to religions...

#1 Post by coffee » May 18th, 2017, 10:39 am

Someone on facebook was saying this

"Atheism and Humanism needs to replace the sense of community that religions offer otherwise people will return to religions not because they believe but they are isolated and lonely"

I think it hit the nail on the head/bang on/spot on.

What do you think?

Alan H

Re: ...otherwise people will return to religions...

#2 Post by Alan H » May 18th, 2017, 11:25 am

coffee wrote:Someone on facebook was saying this

"Atheism and Humanism needs to replace the sense of community that religions offer otherwise people will return to religions not because they believe but they are isolated and lonely"

I think it hit the nail on the head/bang on/spot on.

What do you think?
Too many non-sequiturs.

Why should it be up to 'atheism' and humanism' (whatever that means) to provide anything? If by that is meant atheist and humanist organisations or 'communities', then they are far from being the only possible sources of a 'sense of community'.

It's certainly true that some religions do seem to provide a sense of community to some, but the implication is that as people lose their religion and religious communities dwindle, people become 'isolated and lonely'. That does not necessarily follow.

It also does not follow that people who do feel isolated and lonely after leaving a religion will return to it because they are isolated and lonely despite their lack of belief. Also, there may be harms involved in returning to a religion you have previously rejected.

I'd need to see more evidence for all of that.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#3 Post by coffee » May 18th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Then why are there some atheists going to churches?
And

Why are there some atheists send there their children to faith schools ?

Can you explain?

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » May 18th, 2017, 2:52 pm

coffee wrote:Then why are there some atheists going to churches?
You'd need to ask them, but sometimes it's to get their child into a local religious school.
Why are there some atheists send there their children to faith schools ?
There are many reasons: because those schools might be closer and because some are better, for example. Neither of these points, however, relate to your OP.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

coffee

#5 Post by coffee » May 18th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Should you not be wondering why are they not setting humanist/secular school?

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » May 18th, 2017, 3:27 pm

coffee wrote:Should you not be wondering why are they not setting humanist/secular school?
No.
Alan Henness

coffee

#7 Post by coffee » May 18th, 2017, 4:12 pm

May be I can answer that.

Perhaps the bha has not got enough of the right values that these atheists want. Does this help?

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » May 18th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Perhaps one can say that religion encourages the herd instinct? Is that why JC is sometkmes imaged as a shepherd and a congregation is a "flock".

Perhaps "athiests and humanists" are a new variety of homo?

But, I have to admit that having a bunch of like minds nearby would be a nice thing.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » May 18th, 2017, 4:49 pm

coffee wrote:May be I can answer that.

Perhaps the bha has not got enough of the right values that these atheists want. Does this help?
No. I think this has been pointed out before but the key humanist value here is that children should be encouraged to think for themselves and not be indoctrinated by anyone, religious or atheist.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » May 18th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Alan H wrote:
coffee wrote:May be I can answer that.

No. I think this has been pointed out before but the key humanist value here is that children should be encouraged to think for themselves and not be indoctrinated by anyone, religious or atheist.
Or maybe to compare a range of views, opinions and known facts so as to come to an informed conclusion, rather than slavishly follow one story that has no basis in reality or accept what people say without question.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

coffee

#11 Post by coffee » May 18th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Your views are more interesting Dave, thanks