INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Save the BBC!

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Alan H

Save the BBC!

#1 Post by Alan H » June 28th, 2015, 10:48 am

I think we all know where the Tories want to go with the BBC: LOVE IT OR LOSE IT: SAVE THE BBC!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Altfish

Re: Save the BBC!

#2 Post by Altfish » June 28th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Signed :smile:

Nick

#3 Post by Nick » June 28th, 2015, 12:46 pm

Alan H wrote:I think we all know where the Tories want to go with the BBC: LOVE IT OR LOSE IT: SAVE THE BBC!
This is where the Tories want to go with the BBC:
A free media is the bedrock of an open society. We
will deliver a comprehensive review of the BBC Royal
Charter, ensuring it delivers value for money for the
licence fee payer, while maintaining a world class service
and supporting our creative industries. That is why
we froze the BBC licence fee and will keep it frozen,
pending Charter renewal. And we will continue to ‘topslice’
the licence fee for digital infrastructure to support
superfast broadband across the country
The petition from BECTU (no bias there, surely!) makes unsubstantiated accusations, and offers no solutions. How typical! The licence fee is increasingly avoided through computers of one sort or another, and is spectacularly regressive. Some of the poorest are in prison because of it.

No, I won't be signing this petition.

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » June 28th, 2015, 1:08 pm

Nick wrote:
Alan H wrote:I think we all know where the Tories want to go with the BBC: LOVE IT OR LOSE IT: SAVE THE BBC!
The petition from BECTU (no bias there, surely!) makes unsubstantiated accusations, and offers no solutions. How typical! The licence fee is increasingly avoided through computers of one sort or another, and is spectacularly regressive. Some of the poorest are in prison because of it.

No, I won't be signing this petition.
:laughter:
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » June 28th, 2015, 6:57 pm

Signed

Compared with just 20 years ago BBC's quality standards have declined in almost every way - but I still want it to survive.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#6 Post by jaywhat » June 29th, 2015, 10:18 am

Dave B wrote:Signed

Compared with just 20 years ago BBC's quality standards have declined in almost every way - but I still want it to survive.

so do I and I also signed

lewist

#7 Post by lewist » June 30th, 2015, 1:47 pm

I am in a quandary about the BBC. The extraordinary anti - Scottish bias in the runups to both the Referendum and the GE was very difficult to take. I have my doubts about it in its present form. It hasn't really improved.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Altfish

#8 Post by Altfish » June 30th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Nick wrote:
Translated means....

Rupert Murdoch and other media moguls don't like the fact that the BBC are successful and nobody profits from that fact. Don't tell anyone but Rupert gives my party money
Value for money is achieved by ensuring that private companies, such as my friend Rupert's, have equal access to this area of the media so that they can have more of a monopoly, make more money and pay us more money in 2020. Rupert as a native Australian has the best for Britain at the heart of all he does and he would also like a slice of the digital market.

There is much wrong with the BBC, but there is much, much more right with the BBC. It needs to evolve like all businesses and some sliming down may be needed but the likes of Radio 3, 4 and 6; BBC 2, 3 & 4, its news coverage, etc. etc. etc.
Personally, I would like to see less 'Popular' programmes, leave those to the commercial station and instead do more documentaries and 'risky' programming.
But if the Daily Mail can't print a single edition without at least one anti-BBC story, you know the BBC is doing it right.

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » June 30th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Altfish wrote:
Nick wrote:
Translated means....

Rupert Murdoch and other media moguls don't like the fact that the BBC are successful and nobody profits from that fact. Don't tell anyone but Rupert gives my party money
Value for money is achieved by ensuring that private companies, such as my friend Rupert's, have equal access to this area of the media so that they can have more of a monopoly, make more money and pay us more money in 2020. Rupert as a native Australian has the best for Britain at the heart of all he does and he would also like a slice of the digital market.

There is much wrong with the BBC, but there is much, much more right with the BBC. It needs to evolve like all businesses and some sliming down may be needed but the likes of Radio 3, 4 and 6; BBC 2, 3 & 4, its news coverage, etc. etc. etc.
Personally, I would like to see less 'Popular' programmes, leave those to the commercial station and instead do more documentaries and 'risky' programming.
But if the Daily Mail can't print a single edition without at least one anti-BBC story, you know the BBC is doing it right.
You missed:

Let's starve it of cash for a few years: that'll make it easier - when the time comes - to point to it and show how poorly it has performed. Then we can sell it off to our friends and business associates.
Alan Henness

Altfish

#10 Post by Altfish » June 30th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Off course I did, sorry

:redface:

Alan H

#11 Post by Alan H » June 30th, 2015, 4:07 pm

Altfish wrote:Off course I did, sorry

:redface:
Tis is the particularly bare-faced nonsense:
We will deliver a comprehensive review of the BBC Royal Charter, ensuring it delivers value for money for the licence fee payer, while maintaining a world class service and supporting our creative industries. That is why we froze the BBC licence fee and will keep it frozen, pending Charter renewal.
Getting rid of the non-sequitur, what it really means is:
We will deliver a comprehensive review of the BBC Royal Charter, ensuring it delivers value for money for the licence fee payer, while maintaining a world class service and supporting our creative industries. And we have frozen the BBC licence fee and will keep it frozen, pending Charter renewal.
Alan Henness

lewist

#12 Post by lewist » June 30th, 2015, 7:54 pm

A free media is the bedrock of an open society.
Don't they mean,
Free media are the bedrock of an open society.
They are so thick they don't know that 'media' is a plural.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#13 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Nick wrote:
pending Charter renewal...
In another U-turn, the promised 'comprehensive review of the BBC Royal Charter' hasn't been delivered, yet the Tories will now allow the BBC to increase the licence fee by the CPI (currently 0.1%) till 2020, but only if they take over this cost (nearly one-fifth of their income)? Has the 'comprehensive review' been abandoned now?

BBC to take on £600m cost of free TV licences for over-75s in fee deal
Licence fee funding mechanism survives for at least next five years under deal criticised by Labour as an assault on BBC independence

The BBC has agreed to pay the £600m-plus annual cost of providing free TV licences for the over-75s in return for being allowed to increase the fee in line with inflation.

John Whittingdale, the culture secretary, told the Commons that the BBC had offered to start paying the cost of the free licences, but Labour critics described the deal as an “assault on BBC independence” and a “shabby backroom deal”.

Providing the free TV licences currently costs the taxpayer £631m. This cost is expected to rise to £700m by 2018, or almost one-fifth of the BBC’s income, because the number of older people is increasing.

In return, the government has confirmed the survival of the licence fee funding mechanism for at least the next five years – until 2020 – and allowed the fee to rise in line with inflation as measured by the consumer prices index (CPI). CPI rose by 0.1% in the year to May 2015.

The first impact of taking on the cost of free licence fees for over-75s will be felt by the BBC in 2018/19, when it will amount to £250m. Its financial commitment will nearly double to £450m the following year, and £750m by 2020/21.

In its manifesto before the election, the Conservative party pledged to continue the policy of free licence fees for the over-75s and to freeze the cost of the licence fee.

Ben Bradshaw, a former culture secretary, was one of several Labour MPs to criticise the deal. “You have succeeded in making the BBC a branch office for the Department for Work and Pensions. This is a significant assault on BBC independence,” he said.

Bradshaw said the culture secretary had promised to consult the house about changes to BBC funding. “He has broken that promise today and I’m extremely disappointed,” he said.

In an email to staff, the BBC’s director general, Tony Hall, confirmed that a deal had been done. “Discussions have been taking place over the last few days and my approach throughout has been to secure the best possible outcome for our audiences,” he said.

“I believe that the arrangements we have agreed with the government will deliver financial stability. This has been my primary concern, and indeed the concern of the executive board and the BBC Trust.”
The BBC's income from the licence fee was £3,722 million in 2013/2014. An increase of 0.1% is £3.722 million and they've been handed the burden of £600 million (ie the Government will no longer pay the £600 million for the over-75s). Why did they agree to this? Or am I missing something here?
Alan Henness

Altfish

#14 Post by Altfish » July 6th, 2015, 6:15 pm

I think it was in a no win situation; they have hopefully taken the lesser medicine, I understand they have got inflation rises back. Also they are to be allowed to collect monies from Catch Up services and internet use.

But it is a very sad day when the BBC is helping pay for welfare cuts. Was this in the Tory manifesto?

Dave B

#15 Post by Dave B » July 6th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Sounds like even more repeats on tbe way. I worry about the future of R3 and R4 aswell.

I won't miss iPlayer etc., looked at it for the first time in about 6 months the other nught to view one of the progs on forensic science.

Just so long as tgey don't put TED behind a paywall when I need an injection of rationilty!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#16 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Altfish wrote:But it is a very sad day when the BBC is helping pay for welfare cuts. Was this in the Tory manifesto?
Wot? The welfare cuts? No need for it to be in their manifesto programme of cuts. We all knew what the Tories would do with unfettered power.
Alan Henness

Nick

#17 Post by Nick » July 6th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Altfish wrote:I think it was in a no win situation; they have hopefully taken the lesser medicine, I understand they have got inflation rises back.
Did it ever go away?
Also they are to be allowed to collect monies from Catch Up services and internet use.
Indeed. Why should they be exempt?
But it is a very sad day when the BBC is helping pay for welfare cuts.
WTF? It has fuck all to do with welfare cuts!

Nick

#18 Post by Nick » July 6th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Alan H wrote:
Altfish wrote:But it is a very sad day when the BBC is helping pay for welfare cuts. Was this in the Tory manifesto?
Wot? The welfare cuts? No need for it to be in their manifesto programme of cuts. We all knew what the Tories would do with unfettered power.
We do? Do enlighten us. With evidence (as it's you :wink: )

Alan H

#19 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Nick wrote:
Altfish wrote:I think it was in a no win situation; they have hopefully taken the lesser medicine, I understand they have got inflation rises back.
Did it ever go away?
You're the one who said, presumably quoting the Tory manifesto:
That is why we froze the BBC licence fee and will keep it frozen,
Or does frozen not mean frozen and not include the CPI rise?
Also they are to be allowed to collect monies from Catch Up services and internet use.
Indeed. Why should they be exempt?
Because collecting any Internet use (only) could be difficult or impossible?
But it is a very sad day when the BBC is helping pay for welfare cuts.
WTF? It has fuck all to do with welfare cuts!
Because it's seen (and sold) as a 'benefit' to the over 75s: it's now something the Tories don't have to fund from taxation, but the BBC will have to absorb as cuts.
Alan Henness

Nick

#20 Post by Nick » July 6th, 2015, 7:14 pm

The BBC once bought Lonely Planet. And made a loss. In which leftie world is the financing of such a flight of fancy something which needs to be protected by the threat of imprisonment?