INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Forcing Non-Religious Parent to take Children to Church

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Alan H

Forcing Non-Religious Parent to take Children to Church

#1 Post by Alan H » February 17th, 2015, 6:55 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Altfish

Re: Forcing Non-Religious Parent to take Children to Church

#2 Post by Altfish » February 17th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Thanks for flagging this, signed...with gusto

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » February 17th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Signed

There seems a real need for judges like this to be scrutinsed, preferably by an independent body, to see if they are fit to serve in that function.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#4 Post by Nick » February 19th, 2015, 1:14 pm

On the face of it, this sounds outrageous. I am curious to know why it was not overturned on appeal. Judges do sometimes make crazy decisions, but their judgements are written. Is there any more info on this case? Beyond Fleet Street, if poss.

Altfish

#5 Post by Altfish » February 19th, 2015, 1:24 pm

The only plausible reason I can think of, and it may be bollox, is that the Mum has the kid Monday to Friday, the father at the weekend.
Thus, the only time to go to church is when the Father has the kid.

Nick

#6 Post by Nick » February 19th, 2015, 2:15 pm

That seems plausible, but still doesn't explain the failure of the appeal decisionss. Hmmm...

stevenw888

#7 Post by stevenw888 » February 22nd, 2015, 10:34 pm

I fear that the Telegraph story is biased, one sided and potentially inaccurate. I've searched the internet but couldn't find any other reference to this story other than newspapers that referenced back to the Telegraph story. And then I found this
http://suesspiciousminds.com/2015/01/22 ... /#comments

Note that the original story seems to relate to something that happened six years ago and only refers to Mass at Christmas. It's possible that the mother may have wanted the child(ren) to go to a good local Catholic school and that attendance at Mass at Christmas may have been a way of achieving this.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Nick

#8 Post by Nick » February 23rd, 2015, 12:12 pm

That may well be right. The press won't let reason or evidence get in the way of a good story. :rolleyes: Thanks for doing the legwork fingerwork. :D