INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

End non-stun slaughter to promote animal welfare

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Dave B

Re: End non-stun slaughter to promote animal welfare

#21 Post by Dave B » May 8th, 2014, 9:16 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Seems Tesco and M&S have now admitted they use NZ halal lamb without it being so labelled. But it is now claimed that 85% or so of this is stunned before the fatal cut.

Also claimed that both the Jewish and Muslim authorities claim that the meat should be labelled as halal. I suppose that this is to heir advantage as well as ours.

If it were all labelled that would be a test as to whether the larger store chains would find it worth having halal meat on their shelves. if people tended to boycott it. Since they are profit rather than service driven I would suggest they would insist.

As I think I said it is impossible to buy non-halal fried chicken in Gloucester unless KFC is such.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#22 Post by Nick » May 8th, 2014, 5:16 pm

I am prepared to tolerate stunned halal and kosher meat being on sale (because of human freedoms) but I object to potentially unstunned meat being part of the general food supply, and just not mentioned. Grrr... Of course, my long term aim is the "need" for ritually slaughtered meat will disappear altogether.

Alan C.

#23 Post by Alan C. » May 8th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Stunned or not (surprise surprise, muzzies can't agree on it), what irks me is the fact that the animal must face Meca and have a muslim incantation said before it's throat is slit.
I don't buy it,
Unless they "bless" a thousand? animals at a time, it wouldn't be practical (or profitable)

If you don't know the provenance of your food, don't buy it, it's not difficult.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

coffee

#24 Post by coffee » May 9th, 2014, 9:50 am

signed

Tetenterre

#25 Post by Tetenterre » May 9th, 2014, 4:45 pm

jaywhat wrote:It's not how an animal dies, in my opinion, but how it lives. What is the point of living a bloody horrible life and then having a so-called humane death.
I agree entirely; if one is going to eat meat (I do), the animals (if reared) should be reared humanely and dispatched as efficiently and with as little suffering as possible.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Fia

#26 Post by Fia » May 9th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Alan C. wrote: Get your meat from a butcher and know its provenance.
Quite, Alan. I am astounded that somewhere as large as where Dave lives doesn't have any local butchers. No Farmers Markets either?

My small highland community has a wonderful butcher. Expensive, yes, but I'd rather eat good meat occasionally than none at all. There is a board which states which farms the meat has come from this week. All are local. And the venison comes from the Balmoral Estate less than 10 miles away, if a deer is poorly shot by those strange folk who think it 'sport' the gamekeepers instantly do it right. Provenance and low food miles.

I relate two relevant family stories:

A couple of years ago I bought a piglet, reared to adulthood on the local free range farm it was born. I did it to introduce my enthusiastic carnivore youngest to the idea of 'meeting the meat'. We visited frequently, and when slaughtered humanely with no mumbo jumbo it was delivered to the butcher who butchered it to our requirements, including my recipes for sausages.

The eldest has been a vegetarian since 11yrs old. Started as an aversion to lamb, as she loved them gambolling about in springtime, and grew into what can only be called ethical eating. No battery eggs etc. but she has always had an interest in the ethical eating of roadkill. What was interesting was her reaction last year -11 yrs later - when she ran down a chicken on the road, killing it cleanly. She called me to ask how to deal with it so I explained how to bleed, gut and pluck. She called to say she had done that no problem (midwives are used to gory stuff!) so how to cook it. Coq au vin, being clearly the best for an elderly bird, was cooked. She told me the first mouthful was a very strange textural experience but she enjoyed it once over that and will be perfectly happy to continue to not eat meat unless it's roadkill.

Tetenterre

#27 Post by Tetenterre » May 10th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Fia wrote: A couple of years ago I bought a piglet, reared to adulthood on the local free range farm it was born. I did it to introduce my enthusiastic carnivore youngest to the idea of 'meeting the meat'.
Bear with me -- I will get to a relevant point, I promise! :smile:

In my late 20s, some friends and I had a go at being a "self-sufficient commune", aided by John Seymour's book on the subject. I joined as a vegetarian but, once I realised that the options for (e.g.) chickens that had gone off lay was to release them to be fox-prey, keep feeding them although we couldn't afford to, kill and bury them, or kill and eat them, the sensible option became apparent (I still perform the same duty for a vegetarian friend who keeps chickens for eggs).

We had similar problems with the approx. 50% of male poultry, calves and goat-kids (we kept cows and goats for milk, butter, yoghurt & cheese). In order to spare the sensibilities of the commune children, one gander was named "Xmas dinner", and male goatlings had "culinary" names like "Kid Curry" and "Kebab". When it came to doing the deed (it was legal to DIY in those days, but the pigs and steers were done by a local butcher), it turned out that the children weren't at all squeamish. On the other hand, some of the city-bred adults....
she has always had an interest in the ethical eating of roadkill.
We get a fair bit of meat that way here. I frequently pick up rabbit and pheasant. Occasionally I get a deer. Some years ago when the kids were still at home, one of my sons brought home a new girlfriend for dinner. I'd cooked a spicy pheasant casserole. She was fine about it once she'd asked what the meat was, but my lad blanched when I added that I'd picked it off the road that morning. She was still fine with it, but the lad was mortified when, at school on the following Monday, it had spread like wildfire that his "dad serves roadkill to guests." :laughter:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Altfish

#28 Post by Altfish » May 10th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Tetenterre wrote: Some years ago when the kids were still at home, one of my sons brought home a new girlfriend for dinner.
When I first read that I thought you meant she was road kill :smile:

Fia

#29 Post by Fia » May 10th, 2014, 9:41 pm

:pointlaugh: , Altfish.
Tetenterre wrote:...the sensible option became apparent (I still perform the same duty for a vegetarian friend who keeps chickens for eggs).
Yup, sensible option indeed. I did the same for another vegetarian friend until she decided to try it herself having explained the sensible option. She now eats her own chickens and occasional roadkill.
Tetenterre wrote: In order to spare the sensibilities of the commune children, one gander was named "Xmas dinner", and male goatlings had "culinary" names like "Kid Curry" and "Kebab". When it came to doing the deed (it was legal to DIY in those days, but the pigs and steers were done by a local butcher), it turned out that the children weren't at all squeamish. On the other hand, some of the city-bred adults....
Yup again. Good thinking on the names but reckon more for the city-bred adults :)

Glad to hear that others utilise the free ethical protein source of roadkill, good on you TT :) A roadkill deer round here is snapped up in no time thanks to mobile phones :D Supermarket plastic wrapped meat and meat products are far to far removed from the realities of production. Hard to engender such an attitude in cities though...

Alan H

#30 Post by Alan H » July 29th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Denmark Bans Kosher and Halal Animal Slaughter
“Animal rights come before religion”
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#31 Post by Alan H » August 9th, 2016, 9:47 am

If we can’t ban halal meat, we should at least let people know when they’re buying it
The UK now carries out more halal slaughter than the rest of Europe. Most of us eat halal meat unwittingly on a daily basis, since it is sold in most major outlets, including big brand-name supermarkets, without being labelled as such
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?