INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

UK Organ Donor's register

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Maria Mac
Site Admin

UK Organ Donor's register

#1 Post by Maria Mac » April 14th, 2010, 9:27 pm

If you're one of those who's not sure if you're on it or not because you think you registered but it was pre-internet....

www.organdonation.nhs.uk

getreal

Re: UK Organ Donor's register

#2 Post by getreal » April 14th, 2010, 10:34 pm

I have already registered, is there any way I can check my details? I can see how to ammend my details, but can't see how I can check they are there.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#3 Post by Alan C. » April 14th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Both Mary and myself are registered card carrying potential donors.
I read an article on Monday that didn't make sense to me.
Families facing anxious wait after NHS blunder over organ donors You either want to donate your bits or you don't, why would anybody want to pick and choose which bits can be used? Or even more strange, why would anybody decide they had bits that they wouldn't want to be used :puzzled:
This is a letter re the article linked to above.
Organ donation once again I'm :puzzled:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

getreal

#4 Post by getreal » April 14th, 2010, 10:57 pm

I completely agree. It seems totally illogical to me that you would only want some organs to be donated. I'm really surprised by some of the comments I have recieved after informing people of my wishes (I'm also in the process of leaving my body to the anatomy dept of Glasgow University). Even friends who don't subscribe to any belief in an afterlife have commented that they couldn't leave their eyes - a feeling which seems to be fairly common- and the thought of leaving their body to be used in the teaching of medical students gives them the creeps. Why??
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Fia

#5 Post by Fia » April 14th, 2010, 11:25 pm

I don't understand either. I'll be dead when the med students learn from my body, apart from the bits already gone and anything that may be useful to anyone living.

I have noticed a quandary though. Having donated my body to the Scottish Med Schools (if they'll take it, depending on what I die of) do I still stay on the donor register in case they can grab anything first?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#6 Post by Maria Mac » April 15th, 2010, 12:55 am

getreal wrote:I have already registered, is there any way I can check my details? I can see how to ammend my details, but can't see how I can check they are there.
I can only say that once I'd registered (again) on that site, I got a message saying my details would be checked on the NHS database and if I wasn't already on it, I'd be added.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » April 17th, 2010, 1:47 am

getreal wrote:I'm also in the process of leaving my body to the anatomy dept of Glasgow University.
I thought you'd maybe got a few years left in you yet, but it's your decision...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

seyorni

#8 Post by seyorni » April 17th, 2010, 4:41 am

I don't live in the UK, but in my (US) state my permission to harvest any useful body parts is indicated by a red printed "Donor" on my driver's license, along with a cute little red heart.

jaywhat

#9 Post by jaywhat » September 6th, 2010, 8:50 am

getreal wrote:I completely agree. It seems totally illogical to me that you would only want some organs to be donated. I'm really surprised by some of the comments I have recieved after informing people of my wishes (I'm also in the process of leaving my body to the anatomy dept of Glasgow University). Even friends who don't subscribe to any belief in an afterlife have commented that they couldn't leave their eyes - a feeling which seems to be fairly common- and the thought of leaving their body to be used in the teaching of medical students gives them the creeps. Why??
We have left ourselves to Leeds Uni for medical research, but not told any family yet - not sure why. I suppose one is obliged, duty bound etc to tell one's family, but one hopes there is lots of time yet. What I do not understand is why I am reticent. ?? I think perhaps they might not all like the idea.

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » September 6th, 2010, 1:58 pm

I am registered with UKTransplant http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_ ... _donor.jsp which also seems to be part of or associated with the NHS.

I have to admit that most of my major organs are probably unusable due to my heart problems and the effects of cardiac medication. Corneas might still be of use though.

I am thinking of changing this to cadaver donation for research, though in this region the estate has to pay for the transport to Bristol. I think Alzheimer research are always looking for brains to investigate. I think that I still have one of those, it's in there somewhere . . .
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

KatieA

#11 Post by KatieA » February 12th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I know this post is a little older now, but didn't want to start a new one. Is anyone likely to donate their body at death - to medical science (or other!). Is donation of the full body something people feel comfortable with? (I would be a bit squeamish as I am in life of doctors)

Also, having start the research I am doing into Humanist Celebrations, I never thought to ask about organ donation or full body donation but have any of the celebrants on here ever done a memorial with no body because it was donated to science?

katie

KatieA

#12 Post by KatieA » February 12th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Although I should clarify I have registered for organ donation since I was a teenager - and not squeamish about that strangely.
Katie

Compassionist

#13 Post by Compassionist » February 12th, 2012, 3:38 pm

KatieA wrote:Hi everyone,

I know this post is a little older now, but didn't want to start a new one. Is anyone likely to donate their body at death - to medical science (or other!). Is donation of the full body something people feel comfortable with? (I would be a bit squeamish as I am in life of doctors)

Also, having start the research I am doing into Humanist Celebrations, I never thought to ask about organ donation or full body donation but have any of the celebrants on here ever done a memorial with no body because it was donated to science?

katie
I have been on the UK organ donor register for all useable organs since 1997 (age 17). I am also on the UK brain donation register for research into Parkinson's Disease. I am not at all squeamish about this. My will also states that after the suitable organs have been removed for transplant and my brain tissue has been removed for research, the remainder of the body is to be made available for dissection by medical and dental students. So, I would be having a memorial without any actual body. Can't wait! :hilarity:

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » February 12th, 2012, 3:43 pm

KatieA wrote:Is anyone likely to donate their body at death - to medical science (or other!). Is donation of the full body something people feel comfortable with? (I would be a bit squeamish as I am in life of doctors)
It's in my will and my next of kin know that's what I want. Whether any medical school will actually want my decrepit body is an entirely different matter, but there in nothing to feel uncomfortable about. I will no longer exist and if any good can come of my body whether for organ donation or
just for medical students to learn from is fine by me!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#15 Post by Dave B » February 12th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Few of my organs will be of much use when I have pegged it. But it's an open house as to what they do with me. Reckon my brain is going for Alzheimer's research; ticker might be interesting to cardiologists . . . .

Otherwise grind me up and put me on the compost heap for all I care. The physical body is but the shell, the vehicle, of the real person and if it can be used to benefit any other kind of life (and that includes plants and fungi) when I have finished with it - fair dos, eaten enough of them in my life!.

Six feet under just takes up real estate and endangers the ground water - bury me no more than a foot deep and plant something large on top!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#16 Post by Alan C. » February 12th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Dave
bury me no more than a foot deep and plant something large on top!
Having looked into home burial, I can tell you a depth of three feet is the minimum allowed.
Folk tend to get buried at six feet if they want space above for a spouse in the future.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#17 Post by Dave B » February 12th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Alan C. wrote:
Dave
bury me no more than a foot deep and plant something large on top!
Having looked into home burial, I can tell you a depth of three feet is the minimum allowed.
Folk tend to get buried at six feet if they want space above for a spouse in the future.
OK, what's green and big enough to feed three feet down! :laughter:
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#18 Post by jaywhat » February 13th, 2012, 6:35 am

I have done a 'funeral' for a woman who donated her body to medical research. We held it in a funeral director's chapel and treated it very much like a funeral with a body.
I have donated my body - if they want it - but have forgotten what has to be done at the end. Not my problem really.

Alan H

#19 Post by Alan H » March 22nd, 2013, 3:09 pm

Alan Henness

Nick

#20 Post by Nick » March 23rd, 2013, 12:28 pm

getreal wrote:I have already registered, is there any way I can check my details? I can see how to ammend my details, but can't see how I can check they are there.
Just stumbled on this post because of a later entry. In my case, the number 115 on my driving licence apparently mean I am on the donor register for various things. (Not sure what, but I ticked them all!)