INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

TFTD campaign

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Nick

Re: TFTD campaign

#121 Post by Nick » December 29th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Not much point in having a guest editor, then, is there?

Alan H

#122 Post by Alan H » December 6th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Altfish

#123 Post by Altfish » December 6th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Dave B

#124 Post by Dave B » December 6th, 2014, 10:31 pm

Done
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#125 Post by Tetenterre » December 7th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Done
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#126 Post by Dave B » April 29th, 2015, 10:06 am

Yesterday's TFTD (1h 49m in) actually supported RD!

Dr Giles Fraser (an Anglo priest cum journalist) quoted and supported Dawkins - makes a change!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#127 Post by Alan C. » April 30th, 2015, 10:09 pm

Dave B wrote:Yesterday's TFTD (1h 49m in) actually supported RD!

Dr Giles Fraser (an Anglo priest cum journalist) quoted and supported Dawkins - makes a change!
If you read Giles Fraser'. articles in the Guardian, you will probably conclude that he is no more 'religious' than I am. :smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#128 Post by Dave B » December 27th, 2015, 10:02 am

Some author called Howard Jacobson defended the BBC position on TFTD on "A point of view" earlier.

His main point (apart from a hidden claim thst humanists are out to get his kind) was that secularists have far more air time than religionists. No doubt this includes all non-religious news, like murder, war, financial collapse etc. (when at least one of those has, historically, a partly religious origin, often in cahoots with Mammon).

He said something like, "What does it matter there are a few minutes of the day for tbe thoughts of the various religions?" Well, this avoids the real fear of his kind, that if Humanism were to be allowed to explain its basic precepts the great unwashed, and even some washed, might come to understand that Humanism is as viable a life style as following the supernatural. More viable if you have self-value.

They claim we would use the slot to attack religions directly, tb0heir real fear is probably that we might complete fairly given a level playing field - and win!
Me, 2015

Dave B

#129 Post by Dave B » December 27th, 2015, 10:18 am

My email to BBC POV:
Howard Jacobsen raised this contentious subject again today, defending the BBC position on no secular content.

Like others he inferred that the secular world has far more air time, true if you include the news of wars, financial collapse etc. 

One group of secularists, humanists, came in for special mention. Has Mr Jacobson ever studied the basics of Humanism, what it stands for, I wonder?

I might offer that the real threat he and his fellows feel is not that humanists will directly attack religion (I would be ashamed if they did in such a vehicle) but that listeners may come to realise that Humanism is at least as valid a life choice as religion - I would say more valid.

Do those who make the decisions in tbe BBC suffer those same fears I wonder?
Me, 2015

Dave B

#130 Post by Dave B » December 27th, 2015, 8:37 pm

Oh, well, POV is not back on untill September, this matter will be history by then!

Never mind, it has given me a chance to develop a bit of an argument! :D
Me, 2015

Alan H

#131 Post by Alan H » February 13th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Tetenterre

#132 Post by Tetenterre » February 15th, 2017, 11:32 am

Just received this reply, "TO:" (i.e. not "BCC:") 77 of us:
Dear Correspondent

Thank you for your letter concerning the representation of different religions, in particular humanism, on the ‘Thought for the day’ radio programme.

I should explain that the role of the Trust is distinct from that of the BBC’s management and it has no role in day to day editorial issues. The Trust sets the Editorial Guidelines, which set out the values and standards BBC content should meet. These include a section on religion that makes clear the BBC should ensure its output is not used to denigrate the religious beliefs of others, while upholding the right to freedom of expression.

Within Editorial guidelines, responsibility for BBC content rests with the Director General as Editor in Chief. We will not reply to correspondence regarding ‘Thought for the Day’ which has not gone through the usual complaints procedure first.

You can find details of the complaints process at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints.

Yours sincerely

Correspondence Unit
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Nick

#133 Post by Nick » February 15th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Well, TT, possibly time for a hissy-fit. Is absence of humanism a denigration?

Not in humanist terms, of course, but in terms of the new snowflake society, then of course it is!

Alan H

#134 Post by Alan H » November 10th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Alan Henness