INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

TFTD campaign

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Tetenterre

Re: TFTD campaign

#101 Post by Tetenterre » September 10th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Nick wrote:Some comments: Why is Dawkins called "outspoken", whereas Lord Sachs, for example, is not? Grrr!!
Two questions:

#1. Do you think this may answer your question?
#2. Why not? :wink:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Nick

#102 Post by Nick » September 10th, 2012, 4:59 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
Nick wrote:Some comments: Why is Dawkins called "outspoken", whereas Lord Sachs, for example, is not? Grrr!!
Two questions:

#1. Do you think this may answer your question?
No
#2. Why not? :wink:
Because I'm being strident. :D

btw, I don't think Dawkins answers the question in the clip very well, though I'd love to have wiped the smirk off Sach's face. Not, let me hasten to add, becuase he is Jewish, but because IMHO, he is being a pompous ass!

Alan C.

#103 Post by Alan C. » September 10th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Nick
Not, let me hasten to add, because he is Jewish, but because IMHO, he is being a pompous ass!
Isn't that part of the "job" description? Not just with Jews but with all religionists.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Tetenterre

#104 Post by Tetenterre » September 13th, 2012, 10:04 am

Watched the "Sacks Show" last night -- what a pompous, sanctimonious twerp! One thing that immediately struck me, and was a message throughout, is that it is the religionistas who are trying to get science to "meet us half-way" rather than vv; I got the impression that the three cherry-picked scientists didn't really care that much either way. As science explains more and more, the "space" for religion is shrinking, despite what Sacks said to the contrary.

Other things that lurched to mind:
* Just because scientists can't explain everything, that doesn't give anyone the right to fill in the gaps with his/her own species of irrationality and pretend it has some sort of validity.
* It's a pity that the Jewish tradition (emphasised by Sacks in his conversation with RD) of not sacrificing children doesn't extend to Palestinian (and, presumably, Iranian) children.
* Whoever did RD's make-up didn't go to Specsavers: he looked like he was either sunburnt or permanently blushing.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Nick

#105 Post by Nick » September 13th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Watched the "Sacks Show" last night -- what a pompous, sanctimonious twerp!
My thoughts exactly!
One thing that immediately struck me, and was a message throughout, is that it is the religionistas who are trying to get science to "meet us half-way" rather than vv; I got the impression that the three cherry-picked scientists didn't really care that much either way. As science explains more and more, the "space" for religion is shrinking, despite what Sacks said to the contrary.
The scientists were just being nice. The programme was completely pointless.
Other things that lurched to mind:
* Just because scientists can't explain everything, that doesn't give anyone the right to fill in the gaps with his/her own species of irrationality and pretend it has some sort of validity.
Exactly.

Alan H

#106 Post by Alan H » September 30th, 2012, 12:17 am

Just watched it on Sacks' youtube page (I'm sure he would have got copyright permission...):

I commented below it, but it's held for moderation. I wonder if he'll publish such a 'militant' comment?
Very poor and superficial with the Rabbi clutching at straws - mainly from the straw men he built in the first place.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#107 Post by Dave B » September 30th, 2012, 10:46 am

Only listened to about half-way through and didn't hear much that was new - will listen to rest later. I reached the point where Sachs said something like, "God wanted us to investigate the Universe to better appreciate His greatness." That indicates no change in attitude from the standard one, merely a way of shoe horning the supernatural into the natural, as usual! The exercise seems to be one of merely a re-run of the justification of religion in the physical world.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#108 Post by Alan C. » October 25th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Some positive comments below the line here.
The Today programme or the Radio 1 breakfast show?
Last edited by Alan H on October 25th, 2012, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the link.

Dave B

#109 Post by Dave B » October 25th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Oops, link syntax needs fixing, Alan.

But getting there it seems that Today are beating R1BS about 10:1 at the moment.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#110 Post by Alan C. » October 25th, 2012, 10:24 pm

I've got problems here Dave, I didn't even think it had posted.
Working on it.

Dave B

#111 Post by Dave B » October 26th, 2012, 9:28 am

These polls are fun but hardly truly representative - often a measure of the people that read these sites or have friends (or forum buddies) who do!

Ask the same question on the NME site or similar!
Me, 2015

stevenw888

#112 Post by stevenw888 » October 26th, 2012, 9:46 am

I am heartbroken! Some commenter on the Guardian piece (scos2000) has stolen my avatar! I will report this to the internet police immediately!

I can't bear the Today programme. All that news so early in the morning! I like to get my dose of news with Jeremy Vine at lunchtime.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Alan H

#113 Post by Alan H » October 26th, 2012, 10:11 am

stevenw888 wrote:I will report this to the internet police immediately!
No need - they already know. Big Brother is watching...
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#114 Post by Alan C. » October 26th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Steve
I am heartbroken! Some commenter on the Guardian piece (scos2000) has stolen my avatar!
I did wonder if that was you Steve with a different moniker.

lewist

#115 Post by lewist » October 26th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Dave B wrote:...Today are beating R1BS about 10:1 at the moment.
I didn't vote, because GMS wasn't listed.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

jaywhat

#116 Post by jaywhat » November 28th, 2012, 6:43 am

A bit off topic but just before this morning's 'prayer for the day' got switched off I heard it was by an Alison Twaddle. (She's summat in Scotland)
:laughter:

lewist

#117 Post by lewist » November 28th, 2012, 8:35 am

jaywhat wrote:A bit off topic but just before this morning's 'prayer for the day' got switched off I heard it was by an Alison Twaddle. (She's summat in Scotland)
:laughter:
She sometimes does TFTD on GMS. She's a church elder and was General Secretary of the Church of Scotland Guild. I suspect she was a contemporary of mine at St Andrews.

Alan H

#118 Post by Alan H » December 28th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Alan Henness

Dave B

#119 Post by Dave B » December 28th, 2013, 4:35 pm

Yes, I heard TBL and John Humphrys discussing it on the day.

Perhaps it is time for another Twitter/FB campaign or something? Just keep the subject stirred up.
Me, 2015

lewist

#120 Post by lewist » December 29th, 2013, 10:32 am

It's not just an English problem (R4 being a predominantly English radio station despite the claims of the BBC). If it were to be stirred up again, we have the same problem here. I occasionally hear it on GMS but if it's a working day, I should be up and in the shower.

Nick

#121 Post by Nick » December 29th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Not much point in having a guest editor, then, is there?