INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Vegetarian Living

This forum is set aside for the BHA Humanist Vegetarian Group. All of Think Humanism's registered users are welcome to participate. If you wish to receive news and announcements from this group, please register with the HVG user group. See instructions near the top of the HVG forum.

Moderator: clayto

Nirvanam

Re: Vegetarian Living

#21 Post by Nirvanam » August 30th, 2010, 11:11 am

Latest post of the previous page:

banbbc wrote:Nirvanam, I'd have to agree with with Fia that vegetarian meals are an afterthought when eating out in most UK restaurants and pubs. Luckily there are plenty of Italian, India and Chinese restaurants that usually have a wide choice of vegetarian meals.

Chicken tikka masala was popular in UK restaurants leading someone to claim it was fast becoming a national dish. I'd say McDonalds, kebabs and pizzas are the UK's national favour today.

Is an extreme-vegetarian a vegan?
Extreme-veg = the people who don't eat roots, onions, potatoes, etc...some Jains in India are like that.

Greenbee

Re: Vegetarian Living Magazine

#22 Post by Greenbee » September 6th, 2010, 10:41 am

It's a new title I think, I bought my copy of Vegetarian Living in Sainsburys, but I've also seen it on sale in WH Smith and other supermarkets.

I like this mag so much I've just taken out a subscription. Here's the link to subscriptions if anyone is interested http://www.selectps.com/index.php?main_ ... &cPath=6_9

Nick

#23 Post by Nick » September 7th, 2010, 12:20 am

So, Greenbee, what did you make of the other posts?

Alan H

Re: Vegetarian Living Magazine

#24 Post by Alan H » September 7th, 2010, 11:06 am

Greenbee wrote:It's a new title I think, I bought my copy of Vegetarian Living in Sainsburys, but I've also seen it on sale in WH Smith and other supermarkets.

I like this mag so much I've just taken out a subscription. Here's the link to subscriptions if anyone is interested http://www.selectps.com/index.php?main_ ... &cPath=6_9
Thanks, Greenbee - I'll maybe have a look at the magazine the next time I'm in Sainsbury's.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Emma Woolgatherer

#25 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » September 7th, 2010, 12:01 pm

I'm with Nick on this one. Definitely spam-flavoured.

And I'm not buying the magazine anyway. I'm put of by the cover line on the September issue: "Yotam Ottolenghi, the UK's most influential vegetarian chef, shares his passion for sensual food". Yotam Ottolenghi is not vegetarian, nor a chef of exclusively vegetarian food, as you can see from his website, the first page of which includes: "Ottolenghi draws on a wealth of culinary traditions – with a focus on the Mediterranean basin – providing inventive yet honest food, anything from a lemon and mascarpone tart to a grilled mackerel with olive and raisin salsa, made only from the best basic raw ingredients" (my bold). Yes, he has a column in the Guardian called "The New Vegetarian", and he's written a vegetarian cookbook. But he cooks non-vegetarian food too, as you can see from his website. His catering menu includes roasted whole leg of lamb with rosemary, garlic and lemon sauce and spicy beef koftas with cucumber and mint yoghurt. And he has published cookery books that aren't vegetarian. And his restaurant and shops sell non-vegetarian food. So if he's the UK's most influential vegetarian chef, I'm a Seventh Day Adventist.

Anyway, it's things like that that put me off a magazine. Or would put me off if I were in the habit of buying magazines. :) So I won't be buying it, even if Greenbee isn't a spammer.

Emma

banbbc

#26 Post by banbbc » September 19th, 2010, 4:25 am

A review of one of Ottolenghi's recent books says: "And I find that I get an absolute craving for the rack of lamb dish from this book, which is exquisite." I'm not sure whether that is a worse crime than writing for the Guardian but either way definitely won't be buying Vegetarian Living.

DaisyDukey

#27 Post by DaisyDukey » April 5th, 2015, 11:38 am

banbbc wrote:Very good news. The Vegetarian Society used to have an excellent magazine which unfortunately they stopped selling in shops many years ago if I remember correctly.

From their website http://www.vegetarianliving.co.uk/ it doesn't appear they will be covering many of the animal welfare issues that need addressing. Nevertheless hope it does well.

This is great thank you muchly