INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Interview the person below you.

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
getreal

Re: Interview the person below you.

#1501 Post by getreal » January 14th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Unfortutnatly, there are a number of them. I wear my fathers cast off jumpers to keep warm when I'm walking the dogs. They are pretty desperate; baggy, linty and that shade of nondescript grey/brown which woolens take on when they have been put through the washing machine too much, and too vigerously.

Staying with apparel (should that be one "p" and 2 "l"s?)

what piece of clothing from the 70s or 80s (or even 90s if you are that young) do you regret having worn with love and affection?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

thundril

#1502 Post by thundril » January 15th, 2011, 1:10 am

From the late sixties and early seventies, I can think of quite a few items of clothing I ought to regret having paraded about in with such abandon; I just can't muster up any regret.
Well, OK, a bit of embarrassment about the loons, well, more a bit of embarrassment about thinking they were really cool.

Where and when do you feel most at peace?

animist

#1503 Post by animist » January 15th, 2011, 1:18 am

answering Thundril's query, I feel most at peace walking alone in the woods; soon I get depressed, though, and miss my wife!

but this thing about clothes and fashion, eg loons, don't they just come and go? I hate the word "cool" itself, because it's nowadays used ad nauseam (not getting at you, Thun, and I think you are quite cool!). Must admit I had an obsession with pink and navy blue (blue blazer, everything else pink of some shade), and I wore black beads in 1973 - when the hippy era was over!

(EDITED) sorry, forgetting to start another topic. I don't understand Lord Muck's new topic (wee clypes), so this is my new topic!

Lord Muck oGentry

#1504 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » January 15th, 2011, 1:31 am

animist wrote:but this thing about clothes and fashion, eg loons, don't they just come and go? I hate the word "cool" itself, because it's nowadays used ad nauseam (not getting at you, Thun, and I think you are quite cool!). Must admit I had an obsession with pink and navy blue (blue blazer, everything else pink of some shade), and I wore black beads in 1973 - when the hippy era was over!
Black beads?! You must have been on some good gear. I envy you your contacts.

What should be done with wee clypes?
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Boy-a ... 6689921.jp
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

jaywhat

#1505 Post by jaywhat » January 15th, 2011, 8:50 am

I would not call that so much informing as a cry for help. I bet that is not the whole story though!

Where do you draw the line between 'assisting' and 'arresting' ?

thundril

#1506 Post by thundril » January 16th, 2011, 12:05 am

If you 'assist' someone into a paddywagon, there's an assumption that they actually want a lift to the copshop! (Otherwise, you have to say it's an arrest.)
I think that's how it works, anyway.

jaywhat

#1507 Post by jaywhat » January 16th, 2011, 6:22 am

Did not make myself clear. In some circumstances there is a choice for a law officer - or perhaps not.
A minor offence may have been committed by a slightly drunk person who is going through a bad time and needs a gently 'go home and sleep it off' rather than 'right! you are under arrest' and banging them up.
I am in the wrong thread.

Should police keep info on record (incl DNA) if person is innocent?

thundril

#1508 Post by thundril » January 17th, 2011, 3:17 pm

jaywhat wrote:

Should police keep info on record (incl DNA) if person is innocent?
Definitely not! (IMHO, of course). However benign the current administration may be, constructing an apparatus that would make life easier for despots has always been a bad move.
I think the continuum between a citizen's state and a police state starts at one end with the police being required to work for the well-being of the citizens, and ends at the other extreme with the citizens being required to act for the convenience of the police.
Any real-life polity is always going to be a sliding compromise between the two extremes, but I favour the more citizen-oriented end.
Therefore I reckon that the info the state has on individuals should be limited to
a; info that the individual doesn't mind sharing with everybody.
b; info on persons currently suspected of involvement in criminal activities for which the info would be relevant,
c; info that the individual needs the state to know, but which that individual wishes to keep otherwise private. (examples may be health records, tax statements.)
Same question?

jaywhat

#1509 Post by jaywhat » January 23rd, 2011, 7:10 am

I am unsure of this because of those cases of serious crime solved after the passage of time because the record is held of DNA - maybe of a relative even.

Would you not agree that it is not the keeping of the record which is the problem, but the use to which that record may be put?

Dave B

#1510 Post by Dave B » January 23rd, 2011, 10:13 am

[If it hasn't been done already this is fodder for a thread of its own!]

Though I am in favour of global DNA registration it is the misuse, by political, commercial or criminal bodies, that puts me off it - I can see no way of making the system 100% secure or ensuring only correct use, for medical purposes or "filtering" in the case of serious criminal action.

Thinking about my favourite literary genre, sci-fi, there is also the fact that "unregistered" people would have uses for the criminal world. I can imagine "back street births" and "clean skin" children being brought up and trained for criminal action. The story GATTACA featured various methods of getting round DNA ID systems.

How do you feel about the standard of investigation and reporting in our newspaper?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Sel

#1511 Post by Sel » January 23rd, 2011, 4:48 pm

Standards. There are standards? Here in North America the tabloids and their mates, the likes of FOX News, have long since crossed the line between reporting and editorializing. It would seem reporters spend very little time researching stories other than to get emotional sound bites. Most newpaper articles are taken right off the wire with little or no critical thought as to their validity.

On TV news most time is spent with the news anchor interviewing a reporter. What goes with that? Where are the folks who are actually part of the real story? Where are the tough questions for our politicians?

Oh, they DO shove a microphone in the faces of those who have just experienced unbelieveable tragedy with the usual question; "What is your reaction? (..."to your 5 children burning to death", let's say)" Just once I would like someone to look at the reporter through tears and say "F..k off; we are partying. Just got rid of the little suckers. How do you think I friggin' feel you idiot?"

Well didn't you just set me off on a rant.... :redface:
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

#1512 Post by Dave B » January 23rd, 2011, 5:09 pm

Do you feel better for getting it off your chest, Sel?

Similar problems here, "No news worth reporting, then let's sensationalize something or just invent a story!"

Even the once respected BBC gets things wrong through reporting events before all the facts are known (and then often confusing the matter through bad drafting of the news scripts or website items!)

If I might be so bold as to suggest it your question for the next poster might have been, "Do you enjoy a justifiable rant?" ?!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#1513 Post by jaywhat » January 23rd, 2011, 5:18 pm

Dave B wrote:[If it hasn't been done already this is fodder for a thread of its own!]

It is found.......National DNA Database.

thundril

#1514 Post by thundril » January 26th, 2011, 3:49 pm

Yes, I love a good rant; if I feel sure of my ground, and if the person listening hasn't noticeably glazed over.
That's why internet ranting is so much harder to stop. You don't get the glazed-eye stifled yawn till long after..

What is your most regular rant-material?

Sel

#1515 Post by Sel » January 26th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Well, since I was the first to rant, I will answer first.

My favorite rant is about my fellow females.
Many never question anything. They believe everything they are told. I receive more drivel in my emails than anyone has a right to read in a lifetime. I Google the crap and send them the info; always with the following comment:
"Question, question, question"
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

thundril

#1516 Post by thundril » January 26th, 2011, 5:19 pm

The cultural backlash against feminism has been intense, well supported by powerful cultural drivers, and it seems very effective. I realised this when, a couple of years ago, a woman whose earlier writings were often quite inspiring (No names, now) appeared on a trivial chat show (I forget which one) Someone asked what people did when they felt down or depressed. This previously quite magnificent intellectual simpered, (simpered, I swear!) and replied 'I buy shoes'.
Oh for fuxake!

Nick

#1517 Post by Nick » January 26th, 2011, 5:22 pm

thundril wrote:What is your most regular rant-material?
For me, it is illogical economic comment, often by politicians. It's not where I disagree with them, but when they don't understand.

Which domestic chore do you dislike most?

thundril

#1518 Post by thundril » January 26th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Anyway, Sel, I think you were supposed to end with a question (just the one, rather than three (Question question question):smile: ) and I should probably have given someone else a chance to answer it. But we got into rant mode, didn't we?

Alan C.

#1519 Post by Alan C. » January 26th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Nick
Which domestic chore do you dislike most?
I think there is only one I dislike so I suppose that's the one I dislike most.
Ironing! I just bought a new super duper tumble drier and now hardly anything needs to be ironed, praise be to technology. :notworthy:

Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#1520 Post by Dave B » January 26th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Nick wrote:
thundril wrote:What is your most regular rant-material?
For me, it is illogical economic comment, often by politicians. It's not where I disagree with them, but when they don't understand.
You are well supplied with ammunition then, Nick! :laughter:
Me, 2015

getreal

#1521 Post by getreal » January 26th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Not particularly either, Alan.

If you could live anywhere, where would you live?

(as you can see, I'm ignoring Dave's post)
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.