INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Interview the person below you.

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
Fia

Re: Interview the person below you.

#1421 Post by Fia » November 29th, 2009, 9:10 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Any one where humanity actually managed not to have a war.... so the future I guess :)

I like the concept that we have an emotional pot, like the soup pots of old that still had more than homoeopathic quantities of the original soup, but to do with giving and taking.
How do you top yours up?

Nick

#1422 Post by Nick » April 4th, 2010, 11:33 pm

I am easily distracted from work if someone asks a favour, but I do struggle sometimes to keep emotion stocks topped up.

Is there, either now or in the past, a TV programme of questionable worth which you secretly enjoy(ed) watching?

Mike

#1423 Post by Mike » April 5th, 2010, 5:11 am

Sadly yes. I am hooked on the new series of "Coach Trip" - what a waster!

Have you ever served in the armed forces?

jaywhat

#1424 Post by jaywhat » April 5th, 2010, 6:54 am

Yes, I did National Service in the Royal Signals which involved being a clerk in Catterick and playing hockey - amongst other things. (1956-8)

What is the biggest thing in your past you would not have done if you had your time again?

Lorikeet

#1425 Post by Lorikeet » April 5th, 2010, 12:08 pm

I would not have done the "Year in Industry" gap year between school and university. A company rang me up and offered me "environmental work" up north near Manchester. It turned out to be a health and safety consultancy, the sort that charges a company £600 for two hours' work by me (for which I'd be paid £7) editing and proofreading their health and safety policy document - changing a spelling mistake here, putting 1999 instead of 1974 there. I was the office scapegoat and it was all in all a useless several months. It ended with my dear boss deciding not to pay me for my last 3 weeks, and, upon being written to to ask why, claiming that I was a theif and that I was going to be taken to court. As I was only 18 this was too stressful to cope with and I ended up with a long term health problem. So, although I guess I learnt how horrible people can be and what kind of work I do not want to do, yes, if I could turn the world back I'd have gone straight to university or to another gap year project and spared myself all that.

Same question, as that's an interesting one :) :smile:
All humans are brothers. We came from the same supernova.

jaywhat

#1426 Post by jaywhat » April 5th, 2010, 2:47 pm

[Shit! Thanks for that L.]

Lorikeet

#1427 Post by Lorikeet » April 5th, 2010, 3:48 pm

[Sorry, did I make the thread full of doom and gloom all of a sudden? Not intended!!!]

jamesjones950

#1428 Post by jamesjones950 » April 5th, 2010, 9:21 pm

well, someone's got to answer the question.

The one thing I would not have done was stay in this country. Knowing at, say, 21, what I know now at **, I would have emigrated to Oz ( and would have done that while still single, too ).

When Jehovah's Witnesses or the like come knocking at your door, how do you deal with them?
a "New Atheist" for the last 55 years

Mike

#1429 Post by Mike » April 5th, 2010, 9:50 pm

They came only last week. I was ever so polite to them.

I said "Evolution/Natural selection = fact. God or Gods = fiction" - They left without so much as a word!

(This question could reveal something about modern day living)

What is your next-door neighbour's occupation?

Emma Woolgatherer

#1430 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » April 5th, 2010, 10:12 pm

On my left, I have an adult education teacher and maker of soft furnishings, and a saxophonist (he once played with Boney M), and on the right, it's ... um ... something to do with ... er ... finance ... and possibly ... um ... real estate. I did know, once, but I've forgotten.

What is the tastiest meal that you're capable of cooking.

Lorikeet

#1431 Post by Lorikeet » April 5th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Oh, I've got a dark and dramatic one for this, too. (Don't worry, I'm not all dark and dramatic!) My closest neighbour, a couple of hundred yards away, doesn't work - a few years ago he was mistaken for a murderer and his house was surrounded by the police, who told him to open up or they'd shoot or gas him or similar, with helicopters swarming above. My neighbour never got over this, and apparently opened the door to a house valuer with a pickaxe (the poor guy only wanted to survey our house!). He lives holed up with three cars in his drive and slates falling off his roof and blaming my parents for the very poor state of his garden.

That's modern life for you :laughter:

Tell me something dark and dramatic that a neighbour or relative does which makes for a good story!

Update: Ooops. New reply while I was posting. I make a very good Italian creamy pasta with garlic bread - I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested :D

Nick

#1432 Post by Nick » April 6th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Because of his surname, my uncle, while working, was known as The Prince of Darkness

He's a lovely chap, though. It was just too good an opportunity to let pass..... :D

Reminds me of a chap I knew many moons ago, who ran the bloodstock and livestock department of a leading Lloyds insurance brokers. On one occasion, a telephonist was being particularly dense about grasping his name, and after several failed attempts at leaving his name, in exasperation he said:

"Listen! The surname is Lomax!

That's:

L for Lomax

O for Omax

M for Max

A for Ax

and X... as in Lomax!"

And put the phone down. :laughter:

Waht was your first job?

Fia

#1433 Post by Fia » April 6th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Summer worker at a temporary London YHA, Carter Lane, the old choir school of St Pauls. It was staffed by folk from all over the world from 16 (me, I was young once :wink: ) to 80, and I made some lifelong friendships there. Some even came to my 50th birthday camp...

How much of your education do you use in your work?

jamesjones950

#1434 Post by jamesjones950 » April 11th, 2010, 6:34 pm

I proof-read a posh mag twice a month, so that's the English bit.

Me and my team deliver said mag plus leaflets, flyers etc, to 43,000 homes across Yorkshire every month, so that brings in arithmetic AND geography.

I do it all with the aid of a Peugeot (French!!) van, so that brings in languages.

And said van is powered by an internal combustion engine, fuelled by diesel (physics AND chemistry!)

I could go on, of course: eg successful proof-reading requires knowledge of both English language AND English literature.

But you know the rest, as they say.

Which of the current mob campaigning for your vote would you invite in for a cup of tea.....and why, for goodness sake?

Nick

#1435 Post by Nick » April 12th, 2010, 11:55 am

Sadly, any and all of them, to give them a good grilling and correct all their mistakes.....

Which current MP do you admire most (or maybe despise least) and why?

Alan C.

#1436 Post by Alan C. » April 13th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Evan Harris, do I need to say why? I don't think so.

Do you think there will ever be a time when we are not at war with some bugger or other?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

jamesjones950

#1437 Post by jamesjones950 » April 14th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Sadly, not for a long long time.......not until mankind has evolved enough to have consigned all religions and all tribalism to the history books, I fear.

Which radio station do you listen to most, and why?

Nick

#1438 Post by Nick » April 15th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Radio 4. I wake up to it, listen to the rest of the Today programme, then listen on and off through the morning. I have to turn it off if I'm writing reports, but otherwise it's on. Until 2pm when it is very firmly OFF! THe Archers. :sick: Afternoons are often Classic FM, until the PM programme, though I do listen to Last Word, the obituaries programme. Evenings I'm either out, or keeping half an eye on BBC2 while reading or some such. Documentaries mainly. Anything but soaps. Why? Because I'm sad, that's why.

Are you going to, are you, or did you, see the Election debate tonight?

Alan C.

#1439 Post by Alan C. » April 16th, 2010, 3:20 pm

No, no, and no. But I was pleased to see Nick Clegg come out on top (according to the papers)

If you did watch it, were you swayed either towards or away from any of them?
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

jaywhat

#1440 Post by jaywhat » May 27th, 2010, 6:28 am

No and no!

What is your humble and considered opinion about queenie's speech?

Nick

#1441 Post by Nick » May 27th, 2010, 10:03 am

Nice for her to have a chance to wear a crown for a change. Strangely, the fashionistas don't complain they've seen it before.....

I didn't see the Queen's Speech, but read about it in the paper. I'm pleased that the Tories have had some of their edges rubbed off, but the papers are still spoiling for a fight within the coalition. The next 5 years won't be pretty, but for once, there is no alternative. The most dangerous aspect of current economics is the possibility of a second banking crisis caused directly by European political ambitions.

If you had the qualifications and experience, in your dreams, what job would you like to do (or have done)?