INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Interview the person below you.

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
jaywhat

Re: Interview the person below you.

#1861 Post by jaywhat » June 21st, 2012, 6:41 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Should us oldies waste our precious time giving advice to young'uns who aren't listening anyway?

Have you ever been actually asked for advice?

Nick

#1862 Post by Nick » June 21st, 2012, 6:59 pm

Professionally, yes, but otherwise, I don't usually wait to be asked...!

Is there a piece of advice you have been given in your youth, which you regard as valuable, (even if not at the time...)?

Or alternative, a piece of advice which you have concluded was stupid or turned out to be wrong?

thundril

#1863 Post by thundril » June 21st, 2012, 7:29 pm

Nick wrote:Professionally, yes, but otherwise, I don't usually wait to be asked...!

Is there a piece of advice you have been given in your youth, which you regard as valuable, (even if not at the time...)?

Or alternative, a piece of advice which you have concluded was stupid or turned out to be wrong?
After being assured that all bullies are cowards, I took action. Regret to report, some bullies are hard as nails!
Can you think of any other 'old saws' that are flat-out wrong?

Fia

#1864 Post by Fia » June 21st, 2012, 7:44 pm

'sticks and stones may hurt your bones but words will never hurt you.'
Oh yes they do. I learnt that words have power.

Do continue in the same vein, words are cathartic too :)

Dave B

#1865 Post by Dave B » June 21st, 2012, 10:08 pm

"Starve a cold, feed a fever"

My mother would not be convinced that this is an elliptic saying, that the comma (that most people put in, should be an ellipsis) really stands for, "and you will". Any infection needs energy to fight it and even if you don't have an appetite eating sweets will help recovery. No energy means the infection may get worse.

The other one is a bit more modern, "Microwaves cook from the inside out." NO THEY DO NOT!!! Dangerous misconception.

Any more?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#1866 Post by getreal » June 21st, 2012, 10:50 pm

school days are the best days of your life.

Oh yeah? Not if you are bullied, their not! Though, I must agree that 5th year was OK. All the bullies left in 4th and we had a 5th and 6th year common room to escape to.

Did you enjoy school and why? (or, why not?)
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

#1867 Post by Alan C. » July 1st, 2012, 10:36 pm

getreal
Did you enjoy school and why? (or, why not?)
Loved junior school, it improved my 3 Rs and my swimming, both already taught me by my mother.
All I learned at secondary school (that I didn't already know) Was how to play chess,
Maths teacher (fag in gob always) Was obsessed with it. (fag for our US readers = cigarette)

I didn't attend school (much) from age 14 to 15, at which point I left and got a job.

Good question, so I'll leave it for someone else.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

lewist

#1868 Post by lewist » August 20th, 2012, 9:07 pm

By and large, I enjoyed school. I was bright enough to get by and I didn't bother people. There were things I disliked, like being the youngest and least bright of three, and expectations that I would be as bright as my elder siblings but it was ok really.

Good question; try again!
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Fia

#1869 Post by Fia » November 2nd, 2012, 10:32 pm

bump :)
School was ok. Mostly interesting. Good respite from my dysfunctional family.
No school friends have lasted, but they were wonderful at the time.

Do you still have meaningful contact with someone you were at school with?

Sel

#1870 Post by Sel » November 3rd, 2012, 6:02 am

In the early 60's, I spent 3 years in a convent boarding school. For the past 12 or 13 years I have attended mystery theatre with a group of ladies. Two of those ladies were at that convent with me.

Do you ever have contact with a former teen-age boyfriend/girlfriend?
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Nick

#1871 Post by Nick » November 3rd, 2012, 3:23 pm

Yes. An ex of mine, whom I met on December 16 1973, owns the houseboat next to mine, which she spotted while paying me a visit a few years back. (She brought me some yellow yulips, I remember, which was lovely!) "If it ever comes up for sale", she said, "let me know". A few months later it was hers.

Do you enjoy autumn, or is it just a depressing prelude to winter.....?

Dave B

#1872 Post by Dave B » November 3rd, 2012, 3:27 pm

(She brought me some yellow yulips, I remember, which was lovely!)
I prefer saffodils. :D

Not depressing, some nice scenes in the trees - just the bloody cold weather gets in me bones.

What is your favourite wine?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Sel

#1873 Post by Sel » November 3rd, 2012, 3:34 pm

Autumn can be wonderful - if we get one. This year Sept and the first part of October were incredibly warm - so much so that I delayed raking the leaves and bringing in the hoses. Got caught by a rapid change in temperature and a major snowstorm!!!!. The hoses sit out there frozen solid, waiting for the next thaw.

What is you favorite topping for toast?
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Sel

#1874 Post by Sel » November 3rd, 2012, 3:35 pm

oh oh Dave postedwhile I was writing.

Favorite wine is a Cab Sauv

Same question re: toast.

Marian

#1875 Post by Marian » November 4th, 2012, 11:10 pm

My aunt used to collect crab apples from the trees near her property and make the most delicious crab-apple jelly... mmmm....

What was your most favourite play you've either seen or read?
Transformative fire...

lewist

#1876 Post by lewist » November 5th, 2012, 7:49 am

Titus Andronicus. Shakespeare with extra helpings of blood and gore.

What is the most special venue you have been to for a play or concert?
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Nick

#1877 Post by Nick » November 5th, 2012, 12:24 pm

An open-air concert of Glenn Miller music at Leeds Castle, Kent. Behind the ochestra, over the moated castle, framed by the woods on each side, a single Spitfire flew loop-the-loops and victory rolls..... Tears flooded down my cheeks.

I also like the Albert Hall: London's village hall, so many varied things happen there.

Which extra-curricular school activity would you put at the top of your list?

stevenw888

#1878 Post by stevenw888 » November 6th, 2012, 2:52 pm

I really used to enjoy cross-country running when I was at school. By the time I got into the 3rd year at senior school I had got into the school team, and by the fourth year I used to run in the South Birmingham trials. Never finished better than 60th out of 150 though. All my friends hated cross-country and couldn't understand why I liked it so much. Neither could I in all honesty - I just loved it. I guess it's because its not a team sport - I'm not so keen on team sports. When you are running cross-country it's just you against the world (especially the wind and rain!).

Could I repost Fia's question as I was intending to answer it myself....

Do you still have meaningful contact with someone you were at school with?
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Marian

#1879 Post by Marian » November 6th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Running cross country is wicked. Endorphin rush!

Funny you should ask that question if you wanted to answer it yourself ;)

Yep. It's as if time stopped where we left off...Nice

What is your biggest 'pet peeve'?
(it's a NA term otherwise known as: irritation)
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#1880 Post by Dave B » November 6th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Oh, we have pre peeves as well, Marian.

Mine is possibly people who stop to talk to their friends in busy shop doorways - just seems the epitome of utterly careless behaviour. Often, but not always, older people and ditto female. Anyone who sees me blocking a doorway to talk to someone gets to give me a free kick in the butt (NA for "arse" I believe).

Same again.
Me, 2015

Fia

#1881 Post by Fia » November 7th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Och, currently my pet peeve is being described by management as a girl: as in telling clients "the girls will visit 4 times a day" :supershock:
I'm hardly a girl at 5 years off my bus pass, I'm an experienced and qualified carer. It doesn't exactly engender trust in the service we provide by demeaning us.

But tomorrow doubtless my pet peeve will be something different. There's so much to be peevish about, sadly.

So do share yours too, you never know it may be cathartic...